Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Is Steve Bannon really anti-semitic?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Fox

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:53 pm
Well, here you go:

CNN: Trump Disavows alt-Right

And I see that Ariana Rowlands had a story in Breitbart today. Quelle surprise! When the cat gets a job in the White House, some mice rapidly become more equal than others . . .

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 5:01 pm
Fox wrote:
Just for the record, Breitbart has never mentioned Spencer or any of his ideas positively, and there have been pieces critical of the alt-Right. There have also been plenty of statements from Breitbart disavowing racism, sexism, etc.

Of course, the alt-Right in any of its variations would never have come about without GamerGate, so we've wound our way back to the issue of media bias.

That's a ridiculous statement. Although I shouldn't be surprised by your continued apologetics for racism, and trying to blame the Left for your heroes' desire to get rid of all the mud people and Make America White.

The term Alt-right pre-dates so called "gamer gate" by a long shot. It goes back to 2008, at least. And all the alt-right is, frankly, is the Klan having attended college and dressed in suits. They have always been there. Sadly, they always will be. They've just been empowered by a candidate who winks at them, while maintaining plausible deniability.

Bannon didn't try to "reclaim" alt-right, because it has always meant exactly what it means now -- white separationists, calling others inferior. And Bannon is no idiot. He knew what he was saying when he called Breitbart the platform of the alt-right.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 5:08 pm
It is my preference that our president elect be as hard on the neo nazis and white supremacists as he is on the cast of SNL and Hamilton. But I do know I can't always get what I want.

Fox

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 5:39 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Although I shouldn't be surprised by your continued apologetics for racism, and trying to blame the Left for your heroes' desire to get rid of all the mud people and Make America White.

"Mud people"? Oh my! Even in the Harry Potter universe, people don't consider that very nice, but I'll just assume something in your experience makes you inclined to refer to people that way.

Yes, that's me -- the apologist for racists. The same one who has caught flak over the years for saying she believed in the concept of white privilege. The same one who recently called out a poster for a derogatory reference to a well-known AA performer.

However, you're doing an outstanding job making the case that is made by various columnists on Breitbart: we disagree over whether a particular man is an anti-Semite and on the origins and danger of the alt-Right. I find certain things funny and thought-provoking that you find upsetting. Therefore, I am obviously a supporter of white supremacists and an apologist for racists.

People who know me and like me will just roll their eyes, and people who don't like me will probably say, "Well, I don't agree with Fox most of the time and her posts are way too long, but I don't recall her saying anything about making America white . . . "

When you lose your temper, lose your sense of humor, and start name-calling -- you lose. Even when you have a valid point -- you lose. When you allow yourself to be offended -- you lose. Like the boy who cried wolf, we have reached a stage where being called an apologist for racists, etc., has ceased to have any real meaning.

Fox

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 5:46 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
It is my preference that our president elect be as hard on the neo nazis and white supremacists as he is on the cast of SNL and Hamilton. But I do know I can't always get what I want.

Come now! Let people wearing costumes and tap shoes give you a hard time, and the next thing you know, people wearing tutus and pointe shoes will be lecturing you. I mean, we have to draw the line somewhere!

LOL

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 9:55 pm
Fox wrote:
I'll let you in on a secret: deplorable people walk amongst us. I eat Oreo cookies and white supremacists eat Oreo cookies. I read HuffPo and the WSJ and they read HuffPo and the WSJ. I read Zman and misogynists read Zman. There are even perfectly nice people out there who have a deplorable opinion or two.

Zman prints pictures of women?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 10:01 pm
Fox wrote:

Marina, you and I seem to be the only ones still standing in this discussion. Everyone else has moved on, possibly preferring to discuss Bugaboos with neo-Nazis than follow our back-and-forth. Let's call it a day and wait until Trump and/or Bannon engage in some new craziness to resume. Somehow I don't think we'll have to wait long.

You see, this is what I miss by no doing social networking: the chance to discuss Bugaboos with neo-Nazis.
Ok, ok, I am following somewhat. I have to say that if I ever get a more generous filter, I still won't be going to Breitbart anytime soon.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 1:00 am
Summary:

On Trump and Breitbart, for example:

Left: Words are powerful and meaningful. We need to choose them carefully.

Right: Meh. Words are fun toys that can entertain or annoy, satirize and exaggerate, but if you read more into them that's your problem.

On offensive speech:
Left: I believe the world would be a better place if people put in more effort not to offend each other, whether they believe the offense-taking to be justified or not. Certain words can wound, and it makes me sad that you don't seem to care enough.

Right: Meh. Being offended is a state of mind. Get over yourself and stop emoting. It's juvenile, ineffective, and sooo annoying. Let me speak my mind using the words I choose, and get out of the kitchen if you can't take the heat of political discourse.

Now excuse me while I push my bugaboo down the Brooklyn streets in search of a neo-Nazi. I've got some spiffy new accessories to show off.

Tongue Out

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:02 am
youngishbear wrote:
Summary:

Right: Meh. Words are fun toys that can entertain or annoy, satirize and exaggerate, but if you read more into them that's your problem.

On offensive speech:
Left: I believe the world would be a better place if people put in more effort not to offend each other, whether they believe the offense-taking to be justified or not. Certain words can wound, and it makes me sad that you don't seem to care enough.

Right: Meh. Being offended is a state of mind. Get over yourself and stop emoting. It's juvenile, ineffective, and sooo annoying. Let me speak my mind using the words I choose, and get out of the kitchen if you can't take the heat of political discourse.

Now excuse me while I push my bugaboo down the Brooklyn streets in search of a neo-Nazi. I've got some spiffy new accessories to show off.

Tongue Out

As you say in your first line, example. Because for all the safe spaces and hate speech and more, the left are not exactly paragons of being mekayem the mitzvos of ona'as devarim. Safe spaces and hate speech only apply to the right kinds of trod-upon: I give you BDS and the stranglehold on religious rights such as refusing to cater a gay marriage (while giving same patrons excellent service with a sincere smile every day to that point).

But I do get your point. I can be quite irreverent, and have a warped sense of humor, but I don't get a lot of what I'm hearing here.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:16 am
youngishbear wrote:
Summary:

On offensive speech:

Tongue Out

Cast of Hamilton

“We, sir — we — are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights. We truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us.”

Right: "Our wonderful future V.P. Mike Pence was harassed last night at the theater by the cast of Hamilton, cameras blazing.This should not happen!" "The Theater must always be a safe and special place.The cast of Hamilton was very rude last night to a very good man, Mike Pence. Apologize!" Boycott Hamilton!

SNL {insert their usual shtick about every president from Ford [who actually wasn't a klutz, despite a few unfortunate incidents that led him to being lampooned] to Obama}

Right: "Watched Saturday Night Live hit job on me.Time to retire the boring and unfunny show. Alec Baldwin portrayal stinks. Media rigging election!" "I watched parts of @nbcsnl Saturday Night Live last night. It is a totally one-sided, biased show - nothing funny at all. Equal time for us?'

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:26 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Cast of Hamilton

“We, sir — we — are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights. We truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us.”

Right: "Our wonderful future V.P. Mike Pence was harassed last night at the theater by the cast of Hamilton, cameras blazing.This should not happen!" "The Theater must always be a safe and special place.The cast of Hamilton was very rude last night to a very good man, Mike Pence. Apologize!" Boycott Hamilton!

SNL {insert their usual shtick about every president from Ford [who actually wasn't a klutz, despite a few unfortunate incidents that led him to being lampooned] to Obama}

Right: "Watched Saturday Night Live hit job on me.Time to retire the boring and unfunny show. Alec Baldwin portrayal stinks. Media rigging election!" "I watched parts of @nbcsnl Saturday Night Live last night. It is a totally one-sided, biased show - nothing funny at all. Equal time for us?'

I am not liberal and this is driving me crazy!
Pence once again showed how classy he is, and confirmed the votes of many who voted for Trump who were really voting for Pence should Trump not make it through the next four years for whatever reason.

The president should have said something along the lines of this showing how great a pick Pence was, he's a better man than I am, etc., then be above it. The low information talk show hosts shouldn't have been hocking the proverbial cheinik on this. I actually heard Rush, who I thought was better than Hannity, go on about how the cast of Hamilton has basically never bothered to vote blah blah blah. Let go, show class.

I think that if Trump would have laughed that off, and acknowledged that Alec Baldwin was not at all bad, it would have humanized him a bit. He knows how to turn on the charm. He would never be able to win the left over but it would have scored him some points. But again, look at the Al Smith dinner where he so totally lost it, I was convinced he was going to lose the election.

Anyway.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:36 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I am not liberal and this is driving me crazy!
Pence once again showed how classy he is, and confirmed the votes of many who voted for Trump who were really voting for Pence should Trump not make it through the next four years for whatever reason.

The president should have said something along the lines of this showing how great a pick Pence was, he's a better man than I am, etc., then be above it. The low information talk show hosts shouldn't have been hocking the proverbial cheinik on this. I actually heard Rush, who I thought was better than Hannity, go on about how the cast of Hamilton has basically never bothered to vote blah blah blah. Let go, show class.

I think that if Trump would have laughed that off, and acknowledged that Alec Baldwin was not at all bad, it would have humanized him a bit. He knows how to turn on the charm. He would never be able to win the left over but it would have scored him some points. But again, look at the Al Smith dinner where he so totally lost it, I was convinced he was going to lose the election.

Anyway.

Trust me, the thought of Pence ever being President makes me daven every day for Trump's continued good health. But Pence handled the Hamilton thing perfectly, from stopping to listen, to his comments afterwards.

As to Trump, someone needs to take away the password to his Twitter account. Set up a fake, spoof account, not traceable to him, and let him Tweet away on that to his heart's content if he needs to actually say some of this stuff.

Fox

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 11:41 am
SixOfWands wrote:
As to Trump, someone needs to take away the password to his Twitter account. Set up a fake, spoof account, not traceable to him, and let him Tweet away on that to his heart's content if he needs to actually say some of this stuff.

Thumbs Up

Maybe this is the common ground that can unite liberals and conservatives -- a nationwide consensus that Trump's phone be confiscated.

When he tweeted his unfiltered musings, the conservatives on Twitter started tweeting, "IVANKA!!!! Take your father's phone away!" Now they just tweet, "IVANKA!!!" and everyone knows he's at it again.

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 11:51 am
Y'all still at it?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 11:54 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Trust me, the thought of Pence ever being President makes me daven every day for Trump's continued good health. But Pence handled the Hamilton thing perfectly, from stopping to listen, to his comments afterwards.

Really? Vs. Kaine?

Fox

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 11:58 am
sequoia wrote:
Y'all still at it?

Yup! We're like that picture of the moose frozen in battle!

Laiya

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 12:26 pm
Fox wrote:
Thumbs Up

Maybe this is the common ground that can unite liberals and conservatives -- a nationwide consensus that Trump's phone be confiscated.

When he tweeted his unfiltered musings, the conservatives on Twitter started tweeting, "IVANKA!!!! Take your father's phone away!" Now they just tweet, "IVANKA!!!" and everyone knows he's at it again.

I saw an interesting analysis, that Trump makes extremist, or angry-sounding, statements as a calculated way of forming an emotional connection with his base.

He did this very effectively leading up to and after the primaries (and then began moving toward the center).

Maybe that's what he's doing with twitter, too--showing his core supporters who are offended on his behalf, that he's fighting back. While meanwhile, Pence can be the "nice guy" who ensures that no one else gets too offended.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 12:31 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Really? Vs. Kaine?

Pence has a much more measured temperament. But I truly hate his objectives and record.

Fox

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 12:39 pm
Laiya wrote:
I saw an interesting analysis, that Trump makes extremist, or angry-sounding, statements as a calculated way of forming an emotional connection with his base.

He did this very effectively leading up to and after the primaries (and then began moving toward the center).

Maybe that's what he's doing with twitter, too--showing his core supporters who are offended on his behalf, that he's fighting back. While meanwhile, Pence can be the "nice guy" who ensures that no one else gets too offended.

That analysis is very astute, IMHO.

It's a way of rhetorically balancing the fact that he doesn't intend to prosecute Clinton, sending the simultaneous messages that "I'm a honey badger who will go after the cast of a Broadway show" and "I'm not going to pursue a course of action that will entrench existing divisions in the country."

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:17 pm
Fox said: Listen, I don't know Milo personally, so I can only go so far in answering this. I am in periodic contact with people who do know him, and they don't believe he espouses any fill-in-the-blank-ist agendas. I started following him just before he joined Breitbart.

I had planned to change my avatar long ago, but Twitter is still banning, shadow banning, or suspending at least 2-3 conservative posters a week, including people like InstaPundit, while giving the Muslim Brotherhood verified status. YouTube has joined the fun, blocking access to videos by Christina Hoff Sommers and Dennis Prager." (It wouldn't let me quote your response)

The reason he's rubbing a lot of women the wrong way is not just his opinion that women should go back to traditional roles, though I actually take umbrage with any man or woman telling me what makes me happier. I agree with you that childbearing and being a mommy should be a celebrated choice, and as someone who follows pop culture and reads cosmo I find that there must have been a real shift in recent times. IME being a mommy is very respected and celebrated these days.

He just comes off as finding women disgusting with his descriptions of fat women and cellulite (and hey as a gay man he may truly find women gross). Also his conclusions from the studies he sources often misinterprets or doesn't follow the actual data. I had heard before about women selecting different mates when on bc and its definitely worth further investigation.

Ps I've never heard of Camille paglia and though I don't have time right now to read a 700 page book, it sounds interesting.
Page 9 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics