Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do you keep your soup hot on Friday night?
1  2  3  4  Next

thanks

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 6:25 pm
I'd like to know what you do to keep your soup hot for Friday night.
How do you keep the rest of your food hot?

Thanks

Smile.

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 6:29 pm
I boil the soup and warm up the main dish. I wrap it on my bed with towels and then cover it with my blanket it stays extremely hot.

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 6:39 pm
I set my oven to stay on at 225 for the first hour and a half of shabbos. By the time we're ready to eat it the oven has turned off and the soup is still hot.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 6:57 pm
Soup I warm up before shabbos then wrap it in some warm clothes.
For the rest of the food I set the oven to go off after 30-45 min depending upon how hot it was before shabbos

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 7:09 pm
Boil up the soup before Shabbos, warm up the rest of the food, and keep it warm on the hot plate.

MommyM

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 7:12 pm
I also use a hotplate with a timer that will go off after the shabbos meal.

animeme

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 7:16 pm
A blech.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 7:20 pm
I boil soup and warm up all food at 350 18 min b4 lighting. Then I turn it off , put soup in oven, and light candles the soup stays hot in the oven

tf

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 7:22 pm
I use a blech on the stove with the smallest flame underneath it.
I boil all the food first, put the cholent on back of blech, over the back flame, and the chicken soup over the front flame. The blech is wider than the pots and flames, which allows for some more food, like ferfel and kugel.

lkwdlady

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 7:24 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
I set my oven to stay on at 225 for the first hour and a half of shabbos. By the time we're ready to eat it the oven has turned off and the soup is still hot.

I do the exact same thing - I heat soup up a little (not to a boil) and then put in the oven at 225 for 1 1/2 hours with all the Fri. night food.

A few times I brought to a boil and wrapped in heavy bath towels and it was still piping hot by the meal.

workaholicmama

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 7:27 pm
I have a 6qt crock pot in which I put my cholent. Right before Shabbos I put my soup in double storage bags and place it inside crock. The kugel goes on top, covered with a towel. At the meal I take out the bag of soup and open it into a pot or bowl.
When I have guests(which isn't often) I either boil the soup and put in blankets, or use a hot plate which I also use yom tov.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 7:33 pm
workaholicmama wrote:
I have a 6qt crock pot in which I put my cholent. Right before Shabbos I put my soup in double storage bags and place it inside crock. The kugel goes on top, covered with a towel. At the meal I take out the bag of soup and open it into a pot or bowl.
When I have guests(which isn't often) I either boil the soup and put in blankets, or use a hot plate which I also use yom tov.

Food storage bags don't melt? It's not a mess and too hot to work with from a bag? Also, I learned that you cannot take off the crock pot cover before ready for the chulent. I guess find out if it's allowed.

heidi

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 7:59 pm
Smile. wrote:
I boil the soup and warm up the main dish. I wrap it on my bed with towels and then cover it with my blanket it stays extremely hot.

On your bed?

Bernie

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 8:03 pm
For people who put the soup on the oven, I thought that once you open the oven you have to take out everything. Do you undestand the halacha differently or do you take out the other food and it will just stay warm outside the oven during the soup course.

imeinu

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 8:05 pm
I use a hot plate

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 8:09 pm
Bernie wrote:
For people who put the soup on the oven, I thought that once you open the oven you have to take out everything. Do you undestand the halacha differently or do you take out the other food and it will just stay warm outside the oven during the soup course.

I've never heard of this. Why would you have to take all the food out once the oven is open?

We are careful to only open the oven door when the igniter is on so that we don't trigger it to turn on. Anyway, usually by the time we take the food out of the oven, the oven is off so it's no different halachically than keeping food on the counter - it's no longer a source of heat.

Smile.

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 8:15 pm
heidi wrote:
On your bed?

Yes. On my bed. And I cover with my blanket so stays very hot.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 8:17 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
I've never heard of this. Why would you have to take all the food out once the oven is open?

We are careful to only open the oven door when the igniter is on so that we don't trigger it to turn on. Anyway, usually by the time we take the food out of the oven, the oven is off so it's no different halachically than keeping food on the counter - it's no longer a source of heat.

I've learned on shabbos you can only open the oven door once. So if one opens it to take out the soup or something else you either need to take everything out or leave the oven door open.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 9:13 pm
amother wrote:
I've learned on shabbos you can only open the oven door once. So if one opens it to take out the soup or something else you either need to take everything out or leave the oven door open.

Pretty sure this is only referring to when the oven is on/hot. So if you have your timer turning off the oven before you start removing food, then it doesn't matter.

If I'm incorrect, I think it would work fine to take everything out at the same time. If the main dish was nice and hot before, then it will still be warm when you finish the soup. Only soup really needs to be served HOT.

pizza4

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 9:26 pm
I use a hotplate with a timer. Works great for me. I put the hotplate on a blech on the stove. (Since it doesn't sit well just on the stove grates. )
My soup pot doesn't have stainless steel handles, neither does my cholent pot, so it couldn't very well go in the oven anyway.
My mother uses a blech and covers the food with towels and the food is usually not hot.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen