Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How old is too old to be at babysitter?
Previous  1  2

5*Mom

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 2:22 pm
amother wrote:
Op here.
So as of now there wud be two other children around her age (give or take a few months). Babysitter is very nurturing and loving, but not doing structured activities. It's more like a home setting. Napping they do at same time, and maybe eating too but the rest of day is playing with toys, sweeping w a mini broom while the babysitter sweeps, she will put in music and they dance around the kitchen, they ask for food, she gives them as needed, so not like structures scheduled, more like she talks to them a lot, will sit on floor with them, give them hugs, wipe their noses etc.

Sounds amazing!

sky

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 2:42 pm
imasinger wrote:
I agree with you in theory, but am seeing a cultural element at play that you might not be aware of. I'm picturing the OP as being in a setting like Lakewood, where such groups are common, and divided by age. (Hence her mentioning a 2 year old group).

In Lakewood cost is also a large part of transitioning a kid. Its about $150 extra per month to keep a child in a small babysitting group vs playgroup.

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 2:45 pm
In Chicago it seems that most babysitters are for ages 0-2 or even 18 months. Playgroup from then on. It is disappointing because I have a just turned two year old who I think could use some socialization without the structure of play group. He is still very baby like.

MMCH

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:21 pm
totally depends on the kid.
one of my dd needed (still does) the structures and routines, circle time, snack time ect.. and when I put her in at exactly 2 in a playgroup- she thrived she had the best time.

my second dd, is the opposite! she loved her small group setting with a babysitter (and 2 other kids around her age) doing wtvr she wanted all day
if I could have I would have kept her with a babysitter at 3 also-

the babysitter that you described sounds wonderful- and the setting sounds great also-
so I guess it would come down to cost and convenience.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 9:21 pm
amother wrote:
Op here.
So as of now there wud be two other children around her age (give or take a few months). Babysitter is very nurturing and loving, but not doing structured activities. It's more like a home setting. Napping they do at same time, and maybe eating too but the rest of day is playing with toys, sweeping w a mini broom while the babysitter sweeps, she will put in music and they dance around the kitchen, they ask for food, she gives them as needed, so not like structures scheduled, more like she talks to them a lot, will sit on floor with them, give them hugs, wipe their noses etc.

Sounds ideal.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics