Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
The Top 10 Surprisingly Kosher Animals

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 11:25 am
I think the tone is somewhat sardonic but funny.

I've had bison and squab. I might give elk a go but feh feh on locusts.

http://thejewniverse.com/2016/.....84929

The Top 10 Surprisingly Kosher Animals—and Delicious Ways to Eat Them

Whether it’s pot-zah ball soup or schnitzel tacos there’s a definite global hankering for new spins on Jewish classic recipes. For those who are intrigued by these new food trends, we’ve rounded up a few oft-overlooked kosher animals who may make it to your Shabbos table soon. Happy hunting.

RIGHT IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD:

10. Canada geese are the second-largest honking waterfowl in North America, and they often take over the cornfields and playgrounds. Yet these birds can be a backyard-to-table coup if you have the right ingredients. Canada Goose in Sweet Chili Sauce may be just the delicacy for you.

9. Doves and pigeons (aka “squab”) are lean, plentiful dark meat birds, which you may see hanging out on electric lines or neighborhood trees.

8. While most flying insects are forbidden from consumption, Leviticus 11:21-22 specifies that locusts are available for chomping. Add a little flour and seasoning, fry them up, and you have a crunchy home-grown snack. (Just take off the heads first to avoid shrieking dinner guests.)

UNDER THE SEA:

If herring and whitefish salad are boring your tastebuds, there are many more exotic sea delicacies to try:

7. Often found off the coast of Florida with Bubbe and Zayde, the jewfish is from the grouper family and can grow up to 700 pounds. There are several theories about how it got its name and whether it’s derogatory toward Jews. But whatever you feel about its nomenclature, there’s no denying it makes a scrumptious coconut jewfish entrée.

6. And while you’re looking in the fish-with-scales family, the monkeyfaced eel has been called “ugly as sin” with a somber face that looks out soulfully from the rocks of Monterey Bay, but it’s also very tasty in a fish gumbo with a side of kasha varnishkes.

5. And last but not least, the shibuta has made many appearances in the Talmud, and has a unique pork-like taste to it. According to ancient texts, a salted head of shibuta boiled in beer is not only delicious but can possibly cure jaundice.

HOME ON THE RANGE:

4. OK’d by Leviticus, Deuteronomy, and the Orthodox Union, bison are not only the national mammal of the United States, they also make a very lean, tender brisket roast.

3. As long as you’re in the market for cud-chewers with cloven hooves, there are also tasty recipe ideas for elk (chipotle chocolate chili!).

2. Bighorn sheep (stew!), or

1. Moose (meatballs!)

Nosh away. And let us know how it goes, k?

gp2.0

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 1:58 pm
Fancy kosher restaurants serve some of these but not others. It's weird. They serve duck (and occasionally squab) on the menu but I've never seen goose.

They serve lamb but never sheep or goat.

perquacky

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 2:01 pm
Canada geese are a big problem where I live on Long Island. I often wondered why they don't catch them and use them to feed the homeless or cook them at soup kitchens. Are they an acquired taste? I've never tried one. But bison burgers are yummy!
And as far as locust go, I think there are only a few varieties that are kosher--and I wouldn't eat any one of them!

trixx

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 2:02 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Fancy kosher restaurants serve some of these but not others. It's weird. They serve duck (and occasionally squab) on the menu but I've never seen goose.

They serve lamb but never sheep or goat.

sefardim eat sheep head on RH

perquacky

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 2:04 pm
trixx wrote:
sefardim eat sheep head on RH

We've done it before too, and we're Ashkenazim.

It was a bit much for me. I'd rather have a fish head on the table. The sheep head was disturbing.

sourstix

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 2:07 pm
if they eat sheeps head why dont they eat the meat? how come none of us eat sheep or lamb? I would love to taste it.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 2:12 pm
We eat sheeps head on rh. We love it! The kids love it! But it's never available except before rh.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 2:13 pm
sourstix wrote:
if they eat sheeps head why dont they eat the meat? how come none of us eat sheep or lamb? I would love to taste it.

They do sell lamb cuts in supermarkets and at restaurants. Just no sheep. It's weird.

perquacky

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 2:18 pm
My husband and his friends do an annual fire pit barbecue where they roast a whole animal. They've done calf, goat, and lamb, I believe. But they can't be bought at the butcher--they have to special-request it from a shochet.

This year, I think they're doing exotic birds. Peacock, anyone?

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 2:36 pm
Lamb is delicious and much more common in the UK and Australia.

I grew up eating it and was surprised not to see it much when I moved to the US.

lora

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 5:00 pm
we eat sheep on rh (chassidish..)
beef is preferred because its more readily available, and its a staple in the american diet. In many other places lamb is the main red meat. Lamb is a little more difficult to prepare, and has sort of an acquired taste if you are not used to it.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 5:10 pm
I believe that Canadian Geese are protected by the migratory bird act. Check with your local government before hunting them! White domestic goose is allowed, but if they've been used for making foie gras, check with your local rabbi. Many rabbonim believe that force feeding geese to fatten their liver renders the bird treif.

Lamb can be found in many countries, but rarely mutton. Adult sheep are very strongly flavored, stringy, and definitely an acquired taste, but no medieval feast is complete without one. Wink

Goat is kosher, and delicious. It's nearly impossible to find, though. Same thing with buffalo, but you can find kosher buffalo in the US, often by mail order.

DH is a shochet, and some day we're going to to to talk to the local bedouin herders and see if we can get some goat from them. They depend on the nannies for milking, but they cull the billies because they only need one or two per herd.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 9:45 pm
I didn't know lamb was esoteric. I had lots of lamb chops growing up - I can picture the plate that was divided into three compartments with peas in one and potatoes in a third with a lamb chop.

Sheep is just lamb that is elderly - also called mutton and not generally eaten outside of the UK because of its strong taste as others have posted - hence the cliche lamb disguised as mutton to denote a woman of a certain age dressed like a teenybopper.

Now bighorn sheep I've never had or seen sold but I would imagine if one ventures to Wyoming, one might be able to find it - although it would be hard to imagine that it would be kosher because wild animals aren't generally ritually slaughtered.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 10:14 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
...Goat is kosher, and delicious. It's nearly impossible to find, though. Same thing with buffalo, but you can find kosher buffalo in the US, often by mail order....

Goat is pretty popular in my corner of the PNW. I get emails from my drive by shochet (the regional traveling shochet) when he is slaughtering goat and the grower has some for sale. Mostly Boers are grown in this area for meat. It's popular enough to be in the regular grocery stores fresh and Winco has frozen Halal and non kosher goat all the time.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 6:22 am
I've seen duck ( a lot), goose (a lot), veal (a lot), mutton (sometimes)...

rfeig613

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 9:17 am
I've had kosher elk and kosher venison, and thought both were actually really good. I once had quail at a Bucharian restaurant in Queens.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 11:36 am
I don't know what's surprising about any of those being kosher aside from the monkeyfaced eel, and that only until you find out it's not an eel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....eback

vicki

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 2:44 pm
Amarante wrote:
hence the cliche lamb disguised as mutton to denote a woman of a certain age dressed like a teenybopper.

Isn't that "mutton dressed as lamb"?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen