Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why do people have dogs?
1  2  Next

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 2:52 pm
I'm not particularly scared of dogs but I find them to be very unpleasant animals. They are always barking, snarling or invading your private space. They are very high maintenance as pets. And expensive.

I'm therefore baffled as why anyone would have one. I also never understood how people I know are so attached to their dogs that they literally perceive them to be border line family members.

Dog owners and those who understand please explain.Thank you

I apologize to those who find this question and my way of putting it offensive.

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 2:54 pm
No offense. I had dogs and cats. Cant really explain why I loved them so much. It just is.

Petra

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:01 pm
We have had dogs. They are no more difficult and in fact easier than children (though obviously not interchangeable). They give unconditional love and allow unconditional love right back. Generally, they are always happy to see you. Always happy in general. Better than a lot of people I know.

I could never understand why people don't have dogs or pets of any kind.

sequoia

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:03 pm
Cuz they're awesome!!!

(Even though I'm a cat lady myself).

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:05 pm
Just as a point of information not all dogs snarl, not all dogs bark without reason and not all dogs invade your space. People have dogs for a lot of reasons, part of it has to do with our empathic nature as humans. The human animal bond is a mysterious thing and no one has been able to really able to explain it. Yes they, like other pets, cost money for food and care, sometimes grooming and their medical and dental needs.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:05 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not particularly scared of dogs but I find them to be very unpleasant animals. They are always barking, snarling or invading your private space. They are very high maintenance as pets. And expensive.

I'm therefore baffled as why anyone would have one. I also never understood how people I know are so attached to their dogs that they literally perceive them to be border line family members.

Dog owners and those who understand please explain.Thank you

I apologize to those who find this question and my way of putting it offensive.

To eat up all the food our babies throw on the floor!

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:08 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not particularly scared of dogs but I find them to be very unpleasant animals. They are always barking, snarling or invading your private space.

This is totally incorrect. I loathe how many people in the frum community perpetuate this myth and make children dislike dogs too. There are halachic challenges with owning a dog on Shabbos, sure, but that aside, there is no reason why dogs shouldn't be a loving member of a frum household. I am very disappointed to read a post on here that is so negative about an animal.

amother wrote:
They are very high maintenance as pets. And expensive.

So are sheitels... (my daughter once thought my sheitel was an animal and freaked out)

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:08 pm
Petra wrote:
We have had dogs They are no more difficult and in fact easier than children (though obviously not interchangeable)They give unconditional love and allow unconditional love right back. Generally, they are always happy to see you. Always happy in general. Better than a lot of people I know.

I could never understand why people don't have dogs or pets of any kind.

How can you think of a dog in the context of a child or person? Even if you do concede that they aren't interchangeable

tichellady

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:10 pm
we never had annoying dogs. we always had very sweet gentle dogs who loved being with us and made us feel safe (would bark when people he didn't recognize were at the door, but not at us). dogs can be great for children- teach them about responsibility and eventually about death and can be non judgemental forms of support for kids who need some extra attention. they can also encourage healthy lifestyle- you have to walk them and they love playing outside

dogs are much much easier than children (not that you need to compare them but in terms of effort) they can be left alone all day, are not picky eaters, love you if you feed them, can protect the house from invaders, kill insects and eat things that you don't want in your house ( basically they are live vacuum cleaners), and although they are not free they don't cost that much - vaccines, food, leash, vet once a year and cleaning once a year, (my family did not get surgery for our dogs and we got them from shelters for free)- no clothing, bed, tuition, books or toys, allowance etc LOL

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
I find the comparisons shocking. How can you thing of a dog in the context of a child or person? Even if you do concede that they aren't interchangeable

Which part of "though obviously not interchangeable" did you not understand here?!

Petra is just trying to explain that when you own a dog, the dog becomes like one of the family. She didn't say she'd sell her children before her dog or anything similar, keep your hair on...

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:17 pm
This is totally incorrect. I loathe how many people in the frum community perpetuate this myth and make children dislike dogs too

Which domestic animal other than a dog snarls at you or leers and jumps at you while it's owner is holding it in a leash?

Like I suspected would happen this conversation is turning too passionate.

So as the OP I'm bowing out now.(Bow Wow)

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:17 pm
Though I'm not a fan of dogs my in laws had a dog and my father in law would refer to her as his 4th daughter.
When they say a dog is a mans best friend there is truth to that . I was told that the Hebrew name for dog is "Kelev" which means " ki lev" like your heart. That's how close a dog is to a mans heart, they are almost like one. This was explained to me by a Talmud chacham who does not have a dog . It was also explained to me why so many frum people don't like dogs. I was told that the nazis y"ms turned their dogs loose onto the Jews and a fear of dogs has been passed on from many holocaust survivors to the next generations

sequoia

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:20 pm
The idea that every frum person on the planet is a descendant of Shoah survivors is... interesting, to say the least.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:25 pm
sequoia wrote:
The idea that every frum person on the planet is a descendant of Shoah survivors is... interesting, to say the least.

I didn't refer to ALL frum Jews but I believe there is a big truth to that dislike of dogs. I'm not of Jewish descent and my kids and all of our extended family have a love for dogs (aside for me but I don't have a fear of dogs like so many frum people do)

ora_43

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:29 pm
amother wrote:
This is totally incorrect. I loathe how many people in the frum community perpetuate this myth and make children dislike dogs too

Which domestic animal other than a dog snarls at you or leers and jumps at you while it's owner is holding it in a leash?

Those are poorly trained dogs. It's true that only dogs act that way (at least, only dogs out of the group "cats, dogs, goldfish, and assorted rodents" - pretty sure wolves would do worse, if we'd try to domesticate them... ) but that doesn't mean ALL dogs act that way. Most don't.

My family had dogs when I was growing up and they were very sweet, friendly, and quiet. Friendly, well-trained dogs are fun to be around, and lots of fun for kids. Not just fun - they can help calm kids (and adults) down, or cheer them up. There's just something about they way they're always thrilled to see you. And are just content and friendly in general.

I don't want a dog either, because dog ownership would be too much for me right now. But it's not that hard - you walk the dog a couple times a day, give it food and water, and that's about it.

ora_43

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:35 pm
sequoia wrote:

You don't have to be someone's direct descendant to be influenced by them. I don't know if it's shoah survivors who made fear of dogs mainstream, but I've definitely seen fear of dogs "catching" among kids. Kids see a few friends panicking around dogs, and then they start panicking, too.

If enough people have dogs, it's easy enough to end the panic. But if it's an urban area where very few people have dogs, then the fear can stick around. IME. (Dh and I aren't afraid of dogs, but we had to work to train a couple of kids out of being afraid. OTOH, we also have a couple kids who could really stand to be more afraid of dogs... Maybe it's just a crapshoot).

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:56 pm
I love dogs but I agree that they are way to difficult to care for. I would only get a dog if I lived on a huge ranch and had someone to care for it.

I have no idea why so many frum people seem to be scared of dogs. I think it's because they are not used to them.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 3:58 pm
amother wrote:

Like I suspected would happen this conversation is turning too passionate.

So as the OP I'm bowing out now.(Bow Wow)

All poorly trained domestic animals will act like this. The key word is poorly trained. Horses and cows will kick, trample or bite. Sheep and goats will kick, bite or head butt. Cats will bite or scratch and hiss. Even tiny animals like birds and rodents will bite and scratch if they aren't taught better.

In my neighborhood I see multiple dogs every day. Rarely a dog will approach me to quietly sniff me. I can count on one hand the number of times a dog has jumped and barked at me. It almost never happens.

molokai

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 4:17 pm
Dogs and cats are non judgmental & provide unconditional love. There are many dogs in my neighborhood & I'm jumped on almost daily by someone's affectionate, lovable, crotch sniffing pooch. Dogs make the world go round. Cats make you earn their love but are no less generous once they decide you're OK. The idea that Jews should hate dogs because Germans used them to patrol the camps is insane. Germans used cars to patrol the camps too. Should Jews be afraid of cars?

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 4:18 pm
I like dogs (and cats even more) but would never want to own one, or any other pet. But I get the appeal. They make great companions. I would rather spend my time, energy, and money on more children than on a pet, but I see the appeal.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics