Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why do people have dogs?
Previous  1  2

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 4:29 pm
amother wrote:
This is totally incorrect. I loathe how many people in the frum community perpetuate this myth and make children dislike dogs too

Which domestic animal other than a dog snarls at you or leers and jumps at you while it's owner is holding it in a leash?

Ferrets perhaps? Some cats can be nasty. Pet hamsters can bite. Snakes. Quite a few actually. FWIW, I've never had someone's dog snarl or leer at me. Perhaps the dogs are just sensing your anti-dog stance and acting accordingly.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 4:30 pm
I grew up with dogs, and during 20 long years of infertility, having something small and sweet to nurture was very healing for me. Caring for a puppy prepared me to make the sacrifices that I would need to do for a baby. It gives you something to focus on besides your own self.

Dogs are only as good or bad as the people who own them. If a dog is unruly, then the owner is to blame, not the dog!

After having lived in America for 50 years, I can honestly say that Israelis have the best behaved dogs I've ever seen, perhaps next to the Dutch, who's dogs have impeccable manners. A well trained dog will totally ignore you until you show interest and get permission from the owner to approach. Even on the dog show circuit, I haven't seen dog manners as good at these!

BTW a dog cannot "leer" at you. That would imply an inappropriate zexual interest. If you think a dog is checking you out, you need some serious help.

sequoia

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 4:34 pm
I've never had a dog snarl at me, either. And as FF pointed out, they can't leer at you.

They bark because they're doing their job guarding their owners' property.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 4:50 pm
amother wrote:
How can you think of a dog in the context of a child or person? Even if you do concede that they aren't interchangeable

My neighbor has a golden doodle. He is seriously like a 2 year old...except I don't think a 2 year old would eat a pool deck Smile. He is hilarious. Always looking through my backyard for the kids. When they play ball he wants to play ball. He eats his mom's shopping list and the sister's hw. He refuses to go back inside when they call for him, he will lay down on the floor..does that not remind you of a child???. He sneaks food. I want one sooo badly!!!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 4:59 pm
I taught DD how not to be afraid of barking dogs when we would walk past their yards. Some dogs would go seriously nutty, and were very loud.

I'd tell her "If you were a bad guy, would you want to go in that yard? Would you want to steal from that house? Look how GOOD that dog is! He's keeping his people safe from bad guys. That's his job. Hashem gave all of his creatures jobs to do, and this dog was created to keep his family safe from bad guys. Don't try to talk to the dog, he's working right now."

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 5:15 pm
Having a dog forces me to get out and exercise everyday rain or shine. He's an excellent walking buddy. That's been a great benefit. Dogs are also great conversation starters. They are great for children. Our dog also cheers everybody up and makes us happy because he's happy, excited to see us, and acting cute all the time. He also makes other people happy. If you ever have to stay home alone at night, having a dog will make you feel less afraid. They are vigilant animals with an astounding sense of smell and will sense when something is off. Some people have dogs for protection purposes.

icebreaker

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 5:59 pm
I got a dog after my divorce. When my kids go to their dad's house, I get lonely lol. My dog doesn't snarl, she does bark a bit, I will admit, and as for the privacy...eh, she's a dog. I don't think they understand privacy like we do. And if need be, I can always just put her in her crate. I love walking her, love how people in my neighborhood (majority non-Jewish) dote on her lol.

Plus, they don't talk back Tongue Out

Petra

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 6:14 pm
amother wrote:
How can you think of a dog in the context of a child or person? Even if you do concede that they aren't interchangeable

I'm shocked that you are shocked by this comment. Just goes to show how different you and I are.

spring13

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 6:22 pm
I had a dog growing up who was affectionate and sweet and playful. He snuggled with you on the couch and loved to be taken for walks, or to have you throw a ball for him to catch. He totally thought he was a person. He had a loud bark and lots of energy, but was never aggressive or threatening. I miss him tons, and hope that some day when I've got my own house and a fenced in yard, I'll be able to convince my husband to get one. He's not afraid or disgusted or anything, just didn't grow up with any kind of interest in animals. My family LOVES animals Smile

BrachaBatya

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 6:23 pm
Dogs (and cats) ARE family to me! I can't imagine a life without dogs and cats.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 9:44 pm
"mommy3b2c
PostPosted: Tue, Nov 15 2016, 9:56 pm Post subject: Re: Why do people have dogs? I love dogs but I agree that they are way to difficult to care for. I would only get a dog if I lived on a huge ranch and had someone to care for it.

I have no idea why so many frum people seem to be scared of dogs. I think it's because they are not used to them."

this.

to bizzydizzymommy: " I was told that the nazis y"ms turned their dogs loose onto the Jews and a fear of dogs has been passed on from many holocaust survivors to the next generations":

my grandmother survived 3 years in concentration camp (out of which 2 years in auschwitz)- the first thing her husband gave her in autumn 1945 was a puppy , a german shepherd named johny, - as she lost almost her entire family during the holocaust and her husband (my grandfather) went to work all day, she spent a lot of time alone and needed something to attach to.
she told me many times, that her dog kept her going...unfortunately the dog died after a year and my grandmother couldnt handle the loss- she never wanted another dog- b´´H she had several healthy babys ( 2 cats and some chicken Wink - lehavdil lehavdil) in the coming years so her situation changed.

what I want to tell by this is that obviously not ALL holocaus survivors were/are scared of dogs, sometimes animals can be an amazing company for lonely people/children etc., and they have many advantages, sometimes they are not- it really depends.

Plus: definitely not all dogs smell, bark, jump at you.... I know that many do, but I know some super clean and quiet houses despite having dogs living in it.

babula

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 11:12 pm
My dog is a source of comfort, companionship and joy. He's always happy and he forces me to get out and walk. He is great with kids, rarely barks and cleans up the crumbs on the floor. When ppl come over who don't like dogs I put him in another room.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 11:18 pm
Another plus about dogs or cats is if someone cut's loose with a silent but deadly fart you can always blame it on the critter.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 11:34 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not particularly scared of dogs but I find them to be very unpleasant animals. They are always barking, snarling or invading your private space. They are very high maintenance as pets. And expensive.

I'm therefore baffled as why anyone would have one. I also never understood how people I know are so attached to their dogs that they literally perceive them to be border line family members.

Dog owners and those who understand please explain.Thank you

I apologize to those who find this question and my way of putting it offensive.

Not to be snarky or anything, but suppose someone posted "I'm not particularly scared of children but I find them to be very unpleasant creatures. They are always crying, sniveling or invading your private space. They are very high maintenance. And expensive. I'm therefore baffled as why anyone would have one. " or "I'm not particularly scared of men but I find them to be very unpleasant people. They are always snoring, belching or invading your private space. They are very high maintenance as husbands. And expensive. I'm therefore baffled as why anyone would have one. " How would you respond?

Just because YOU fnd dogs, children, men or hamsters to be unpleasant doesn't mean that everyone has to. You are not the whole world and thank G-d that we don't all like the same things.

Yes, the way you expressed your question is very offensive and you know this. I couldn't have written anything more finely calculated to offend. Saying something nasty and then following it up with "I apologize IF you find this offensive" doesn't cut it. I don't like dogs myself and I found it offensive; I would never say to a dog owner the things you said. Could you not have asked, quite simply, "Dog owners, what is it about dogs that made you want to have one?"

MrsDash

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 11:47 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Another plus about dogs or cats is if someone cut's loose with a silent but deadly fart you can always blame it on the critter.

This 100% !! LOL

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 2:51 am
I want a horse.
I don't think dogs are acceptable in my community, but horses might be, but I don't have the space or money for one.

The care of animals is really good therapy.

As a child I was petrified of dogs. (Once we were walking and someone said, "look, a dogwood tree" I jumped "where? Where?!?) I wanted to get over it, so my mother arranged for me to spend shabbos with a friend who had a black lab and a husky/wolf mix, she was the biggest, gentlest softest dog I've known. This dog with wolf blood in her cured me of my fear.
I don't think I would ever get one. But I would like to hire one to keep my floors clean!

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 3:02 am
zaq wrote:
Not to be snarky or anything, but suppose someone posted "I'm not particularly scared of children but I find them to be very unpleasant creatures. They are always crying, sniveling or invading your private space. They are very high maintenance. And expensive. I'm therefore baffled as why anyone would have one. "

Hah hah, are you channelling my DH?! Wink

Zaq, your post about why it is offensive to put down dogs is great, spot on. Thank you. (And I don't even own a dog... )

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 4:50 am
I understand why people like dogs (companionship, love, a tool for teaching children compassion and responsibility, etc.), but I am not one of those people.

I don't like the idea of hair all over the house, and I don't have time to walk them or housetrain.

I'd rather spend the energy taking care of and cleaning up after my kids than doing this for a member of another species.

And I dislike when we go to someone's home for a shabbat meal and the dog jumps on guests or bothers them at the table. I know some people say this is simply a result of "poor training," but it happens too often for me.

geulah papyrus

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 6:42 am
DH and I have always had dogs. We now have our second. And we have kids. It's easier to house train a dog to go outside than it is to toilet train a kid. Also, dogs don't complain as much, they don't talk back, and yes, they make great walking companions! Kids are good too, of course, but they're definitely more challenging. Also, dogs usually eat what you give them.

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 9:03 am
geulah papyrus wrote:
DH and I have always had dogs. We now have our second. And we have kids. It's easier to house train a dog to go outside than it is to toilet train a kid. Also, dogs don't complain as much, they don't talk back, and yes, they make great walking companions! Kids are good too, of course, but they're definitely more challenging. Also, dogs usually eat what you give them.

Yes, but I'm not choosing between dogs and kids.

I definitely want my kids -- there was never any question about that. The questions is whether I want dogs AND kids or just kids, and I choose the latter.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics