Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where did U move when U couldnt afford Queens??
1  2  Next

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 10:18 pm
Are you happy now? Why? What is really important to me is #1 great schools #2 affordable good quality real estate #3 NY area

BTW this is not a random wondering. This is me not knowing where to take my family and where to set up our lives.

Thank You SO Much

miami85

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 11:22 pm
I could've written this post! Except for various reasons we're tied to NY for the forseeable future. Not sure how we're going to do this.

elisheva25

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 8:38 am
Staten Island ? The community here is growing by the minutes? 2 years ago it was very very affordable here.... Now it's more expensive . But still A LOT cheaper than brooklyn or queens .

Roots

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 12:51 pm
I moved to Israel. Yes it was hard. but nothing beats free tuition!

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 12:59 pm
SI or NJ if you still want to be near things...

If you have family, job opportunity out of town, go for it.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 10:44 pm
Thank you. Anyone else? Where do you live in the NY area that has the following:

Great Schools
Affordable nice-ish housing

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 10:52 pm
It's going to depend what you mean by "great" and what you mean by affordable. Also, on your hashkafah- Queens can be pretty diverse.

In Northern NJ, housing isn't cheap, but it's not Queens either. You can buy and live in one town and send to school in the next town to get the combo you want. Queens is a bit of a commute for work, and most people don't do it.

nicole81

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 10:53 pm
What constitutes affordable housing in your opinion?

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 11:39 pm
Inwood (near Far Rockaway)

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 2:06 pm
I have heard people are moving to East Meadow (near Roosevelt Field mall) and sending kids to queens schools. Also a lot of queens people are moving to West Hempstead but IMO its not cheap and pretty dumpy

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 2:12 pm
what type of families live in east meadow? any idea what the shul situation is like there?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 2:15 pm
I really dont know too much information I think it is just starting off... I think very frum chofetz chaim types...

groovy1224

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 2:24 pm
amother wrote:
I have heard people are moving to East Meadow (near Roosevelt Field mall) and sending kids to queens schools. Also a lot of queens people are moving to West Hempstead but IMO its not cheap and pretty dumpy

Huh? I've never heard anyone call west hempstead dumpy. Why do you think that?

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 8:48 pm
Thanks for starting this post. I myself also live in Queens and one day we'll have to move, but to a cheaper place. I really like the area where we live (close to so many shuls & schools) but I'm not sure how we could afford to move to a bigger apartment over here.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 8:51 pm
I moved to LA

perquacky

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 11:25 pm
amother wrote:

I happen to live in West Hempstead and think it's quite nice. May I ask, Princess, where you're from?

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 2:16 pm
amother wrote:
It's going to depend what you mean by "great" and what you mean by affordable. Also, on your hashkafah- Queens can be pretty diverse.

In Northern NJ, housing isn't cheap, but it's not Queens either. You can buy and live in one town and send to school in the next town to get the combo you want. Queens is a bit of a commute for work, and most people don't do it.

Our Hashkafah is between MO and Yeshivish. What I mean by affordable is $3000 or less per month. What I mean by great schools is a school that is professional, positive, supportive, and in theory could produce educated confident kids and have quality Torah studies.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 2:19 pm
amother wrote:
I moved to LA

Mauve, is it really more affordable there? I know LA is an upgrade in beautiful surroundings but I thought equally expensive?!!

saw50st8

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 2:24 pm
amother wrote:
Our Hashkafah is between MO and Yeshivish. What I mean by affordable is $3000 or less per month. What I mean by great schools is a school that is professional, positive, supportive, and in theory could produce educated confident kids and have quality Torah studies.

You can get a home in Teaneck for $3,000/month mortgage. Even less if you don't need a fixed up home. Fairlawn is even cheaper or you can get more for the same price.

There are great schools, but they aren't cheap either (they range from 9k-18k/year).

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 11:17 am
Just chiming in to support a sista- I think w hempstead is kind of dumpy as well. And I totally don't get why "princess" has to defend where she lives. Maybe it's also dumpy. Maybe she lives in w hempstead! But maybe it's gorgeous. She is still entitled to her opinion!
Anonymous because I have relatives on here who live there and would likely be hurt if they knew I think their neighborhood is more dumpy than not.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating