Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where did U move when U couldnt afford Queens??
Previous  1  2

tichellady

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 11:29 am
amother wrote:
Mauve, is it really more affordable there? I know LA is an upgrade in beautiful surroundings but I thought equally expensive?!!

I'm not mauve but there is no way you can rent a home there for $3k a month or less in an orthodox community. And to buy a home is very expensive right now. La is expensive

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 11:56 am
Actually- there are some nicer houses but the affordable ones (under 600k) are pretty shabby/shack like in my HUMBLE OPINION.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 1:18 pm
I moved to NJ for affordable housing. I wanted to buy a home and couldn't spend close to a million dollars on a tiny whole in the wall.

Growing up out of town, we had lots of space. Lots of bedrooms, a nice yard, and fresh air. My tiny 2 bedroom apt in Queens was so gross. We were not the only building with roaches and mice. I managed for the years I lived there, but couldn't wait to have decent space.

Now that I moved, we have much better quality of life. However, my husband has a much longer commute.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 1:35 pm
Wow, I am literally thinking about this all day. I love queens but how on earth can we buy here? Sooooooo expensive! I just don't know what to do....

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 1:38 pm
If you assume $1000 a month for taxes and insurance, then you're looking at a mortgage of about $450,000. Assuming 20% down, you're asking where you can find a house for a little north of half a million dollars.

The answer is almost anywhere.

What in particular are you looking for?

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 1:41 pm
Queens now - starting at $800,000. 20% down $160000 - where do you come up with that cash???!!!??? mortgage balance $640000 + interest..........

perquacky

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:
Just chiming in to support a sista- I think w hempstead is kind of dumpy as well. And I totally don't get why "princess" has to defend where she lives. Maybe it's also dumpy. Maybe she lives in w hempstead! But maybe it's gorgeous. She is still entitled to her opinion!

Honestly, I don't care where she lives, but she insulted my town and she did it anonymously. As did you. If you're bold enough to state your opinion, don't hide behind amother.
I may have opinions about certain neighborhoods in the Tri-State area, but I would never voice them when I know I could hurt someone's feelings.
What's wonderful about WH, and what should not be overlooked even if you truly think it's a dumpy place, is the people. Warm, open, inviting. We don't care who you are, how much you make, what you wear, where you daven, where you kids go to school, or if your house is pretty or not. All we care about is whether or not you answer back when someone passes you on the street and wishes you a good Shabbos/Shabbat shalom. If you're the judgmental type, find somewhere else to live.
Now, depending on how much of a down payment you're able to make, you should be able to find a nice house in WH and have a mortgage much lower than $3000. I pay a lot less than that, even with property/school taxes added in, and my house is on the larger side.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 7:58 pm
Perquacky-sorry if u got so offended. From my zillow hunting it did seem like a lot of houses were shabby (kitchens from 1950, old bathrooms etc) plus the times I drove through it looked rundown. It could just be it was that particular area and not the whole of West Hempstead. I didnt insult the people. There are shabby parts of Brooklyn, CT, Manhattan etc too... and fancier parts as well. I am sure that the people are wonderful and the family we have there are nice, warm people.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:32 am
bumping up this thread.

What communities are within an hour commute from Queens and have yeshivish people there? I would consider myself oot yeshivish. dh just got a kodesh job after learning for 5 years. My ideal community has a bunch of types living together kollel through doctors. I am looking for a 4 bedroom house for under 600k ideally closer to 500k. What communities should I look into?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating