Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Positive Things about Brooklyn
1  2  Next

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 3:38 pm
I've been living in Brooklyn for the past seven years. I am from oot and kept telling myself that Brooklyn is temporary and when dh finishes school well move out. Well my worse fear was just confirmed. DH was offered a decent job in Brooklyn!!! I have a pretty okay job here myself. The main plus of my job is that its flexible so I can run out to take kids to well visits or go to a Chanukah in middle of work. It really makes no sense for us to move even to say Far Rockaway area if we both have jobs in Brooklyn. I've always envisioned myself with a house and a yard a driveway etc. I love the conveniences here like grocery delivery and there are so many things within a ten minute walk from my house that is really no need for a second car. However I have no family here so that is not a reason to keep me here as it is for most people. Please tell me lots of positive things about Brooklyn to make me feel better about probably really settling here long term.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 3:54 pm
Lots of restaurants
Cheap and plentiful groceries
Center of the Jewish universe in terms of judaica, wigs, silver.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 3:56 pm
Positive things that I still miss now twenty years after moving away to a large frum community are

(1) The ease of getting everywhere quickly by foot.

(2)The tremendous variety of (frum) people living in my area made it easy for me to find like minded individuals but on the other hand not have to deal with the enormous amount of peer pressure I face now. It also provided much more chinuch and schooling options for my children.

(3)That neither me nor my husband had outrageous commutes

(4)There was a certain energy that I can't put my finger on. Perhaps it comes from being a walking rather than driving city.

(5) I know this one is very odd but I still miss the Bikur Cholim blood drives and the ability to walk into Maimonides at anytime to donate platelets or blood to Bikur Cholim (platelets need an appointment)

(6) The NY Aquarium, the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, Prospect Park and the Prospect Park zoo

fleetwood

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 4:11 pm
I have a house a yard and a private driveway in Bklyn.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 4:19 pm
That's your settled here. You don't need to go learn a different place

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 4:24 pm
amother wrote:

(2) on the other hand not have to deal with the enormous amount of peer pressure I face now. It also provided much more chinuch and schooling options for my children.

Where did you experience the peer pressure? In Brooklyn or another place?

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 4:50 pm
amother wrote:
Where did you experience the peer pressure? In Brooklyn or another place?

The place I moved to after Brooklyn.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 4:52 pm
amother wrote:
The place I moved to after Brooklyn.

I'm curious which part of Brooklyn you lived in and did not feel peer pressure and where you moved to, where you do feel peer pressure. If you're willing to share.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 5:10 pm
amother wrote:
I'm curious which part of Brooklyn you lived in and did not feel peer pressure and where you moved to, where you do feel peer pressure. If you're willing to share.

I lived in Kensigton/Flatbush area.

I won't say where I moved to but will say that the people living there consider themselves to be better and nicer than the people in Brooklyn are. (that fits more than one out of town community so don't make assumptions)

If you are looking to relocate let me know how I can PM you.Otherwise we shouldn't be hijacking this thread.

queen76

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 6:44 pm
I live in bklyn & also feel there's way less pressure than where most of my siblings live.
My siblings live in lkwd, & even though there are positive things to say abt lkwd, they live in high pressured societies.
I think its b/c they live in neighborhoods where every one is similar/doing the same things. On my block in bklyn, there is a very wide variation of all diff types/ages/finanicial status.
We all get along, but I find pple to be less judgemental.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 6:53 pm
Short commute to the city
The trains (we love them!)
Prospect park
Convenience
Night life
Access to everything
Never boring
Diversity
Syrian food
Sprinklers in the playgrounds

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 7:06 pm
The convenience of shopping, everything walking distance. Just walking up and down 13th ave you get everything you need in a couple hours. All kinds of neighbors. I lived in an apartment building and had chasidish, litvish, and in between and it was great.
I miss bp so much.

slhr

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 7:16 pm
I love living in Brooklyn, there is a energy here that's very unique. also super convenient in terms of having the best kids doctor d dentist a short walk away.

behappy2

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 7:25 pm
Diversity of ppl. Diversity of schools.

Water Stones

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 8:26 pm
I live in Brooklyn CH this is the only place I live in America and I love it here so much!

Ok
So many people to learn about other people.
I am learning driving but I walk now everywhere and all the stores are close.
My dh takes us to Manhattan for the museums and we have Brooklyn Museum here and Brooklyn Children Museum that I love them all.
We walk on the path of water near the Verrazano bridge a lot in summer time and see the big ships going.
Even late at night late late when I'm home waiting for dh to come home from learning I look out window and see people walking! I'm scared to isolation so this is good for me.
Kosher foods in every kind of ethnic taste!
I can't think of more now but I know I have more!

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 8:57 pm
I live in Kensington/flatbush and love it! Such nice people, diversity, a quiet block one minute away from ocean parkway, as well as, great shopping, subways, choice of shuls, restaurants, cafe's, nail salons, etc.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 9:02 pm
Walking city!!! So jealous of that.

And the buzz. And I'm not a "buzzy" person. But you can even stay home and have that energy swirling around you. Hard to explain, I miss it living in this quiet place.

And you'll never be the clueless out of towner.

zigi

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 10:20 pm
boe that they have great services, the amount of special needs schools. and organizations, museums etc

tigerwife

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 11:23 pm
It's so nice to read a positive thread about Brooklyn for a change!

I would love to move back there if it could work out for me financially and socially.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 12:20 am
Honestly I feel the only major down side to bklyn this housing. If u have options, or the ability to own or rent a decent place, then bklyn is actually a fun place to live.
There's always loads of action in my neighborhood. Its never boring, or lonely.
My kids have loads of friends on the block. I have pple on my block from all backrounds. My kids r accepting. Would never be able to live in a developement. Even though it seems that we live one of top of each other, its sooo not like that. I do feel like there's loads of privacy.
Maybe its b/c were more diverse.
I love manhattan so glad to be just a train ride away from the city.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating