Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Whats the largest number of people you have ever cooked for?
1  2  Next

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 7:09 pm
Did you have help?
How did you do it?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 7:25 pm
probably 20 - or close to 20. No help . Just do a little every day. Freeze a lot. Don't save much for the last minute as you also have to get your house in shape, set the table, heat up food ...

pause

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 7:36 pm
17 for a sit-down and serve meal, approx. 30 for a buffet style meal. and I could have easily done more. Once you're cooking in bulk, another five portions won't make a difference. I did not have help besides dh who held the baby Smile

I did it all in one day, a cooking marathon, but not on the day I was hosting. I made foods that are easy to freeze, easy to serve, and easy to make a lot of. The day before I took everything out of the freezer to defrost.

Only salads were made fresh, that day.

yksraya

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 8:14 pm
I've cooked for simchas that I've hosted, like sheva brochos for siblings etc. There were about 30-40 ppl. Sometimes I did most or all on my own but not in same day, froze whatever I could, and made fresh only what couldn't be made in advance. Took cleaning help the morning after.

Shabbosim I host plenty of guests but not that many at once.

However, by now I bh have more kids and am much busier so if we make a simcha here, we order everything and get waiters too.

eschaya

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 10:18 pm
I just cooked/baked for my daughter's bas mitzvah. It was buffet style, approx 100 ppl.
For a sit down meal, we had around 50 ppl Friday night (family, shabbos of the bas mitzvah), and although I did the majority, I did have help from a few family members.
I baked the challah rolls in advance, but otherwise much of it was made within the few days.prior.
Eta that there were quite a few kids included in the above numbers, in case that makes a difference.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 5:18 am
Us plus my parents and uncle.
I don't cater my own smachos, and I'm not in kiruv, so yeah Wink

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 5:24 am
12 people. On VERY short notice. two days before a three day yom tov.... I have two kittle kids and have never done something like that before. It was a chalange. at the end one family canceled. So I ended up having 8 people. But those 4 were the main eaters iykwim. It was nice.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 5:42 am
About 30 people, for a family pesach seder.

The amount of onions I chopped and potatoes I peeled... And I was only able to start cooking the day before Pesach.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 6:48 am
85 for all 3 Shabbos meals. And I did that twice. For Shabbos Sheva brachos for 2 of my DDs. I had a little help but I did almost everything myself. I did have hired help to help serve (mainly on the kitchen end) and clean up. It was hard work, but I would do it again.

cnc

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 7:52 am
I've cooked for many many people. I have tons of guests on yom tov but I never do my cooking in one day. I do it over a few weeks (and sometimes a couple of months!), I start with soups, challa and dessert -the things that freeze well. I like doing things at my own pace instead of being harried.

cbg

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 7:57 am
At one sitting.
25, my 3 girls helped, teenagers.
Also, cleaning help.

I once made all 8 days of Pesach before Rosh Chodesh Nissan by mysel, plus lots of cleaning help, but the cooking all me.
Each meal served 16, lots of kugels.

Miri7

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 9:20 am
We usually have 25-30 each night for the sedarim and both nights Rosh Hashanah. But DH often helps a lot. I work full time so we usually do it by staying up till 1 or 2 am for a couple of nights.

happyone

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 9:41 am
Shabbos bar mitzva three meals 60 adults or so. Had help serving .
Nothing as beautiful and delicious as a homemade meal .

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 9:54 am
I have cooked (along with my mother) for 3 bar mitzvahs and an aufruf and shabbos sheva brochos...about 150 ppl per meal....3 meals and also cooked the kiddushim minus the baked goods and herring. We had about 400 ppl by the kiddushes.

We split the meal and each do some things. My brothers aufruf in July I did....desserts...challah...grilled veggies...Chicken cutlets 3 ways...regular chicken and capons...basil dip...tomato dip. ..chunmus....eggplant dip....garlic dip...I also put together the chicken salad...pasta salad...mango strawberry salad...matza balls

My mother did..

Fish...soup...2 kinds of meat...string beans...snap peas...cholent....kugel...pastrami...kugel and cholent for kiddush as well. Also 4 salads for kiddush. Liver and eggs.
We had a neighbor cut fruit.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 10:05 am
My sons bar mitzvah before I became a professional caterer.

Combination of paid staff and volunteers.

Before that, a Boris for 80 ppl. Since then, my daughters bat mitzvah was the same but two events merged so I had lots of volunteers and paid for extra staff for the tish we had after.

Not if my professional events were as big as either the bar or bat mitzvah.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 12:45 pm
60 for my sons Bar Mitzvah - had waiters to serve the meals. I cooked all food except cholent and kugel.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 1:10 pm
About 100 people for my sons upsherin.. But it was buffet, not a meal. I cooked 14 got dishes in total, but my cleaning lady helped me.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 1:26 pm
30-40 for a bar mitzvah seuda
100 stuffed cabbage for a shul kiddush
Full kiddush including variety of confections and multiple cakes as well as kugels cholent and salads for approx 100 ppl.

Did it all myself. I just start a few weeks in advance and make whatever is freezable first . Salads and mashed potatoes etc. are made the day I'm serving about an hour before meal time, dress the salad right before serving

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 1:34 pm
About 40- 20 fri night and 20 shabbos day. Some people did bring sides to help out otherwise I did it myself with help from dh.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 3:07 pm
About 30 to 35, but only as part of potlucks, where I only have to provide one or two dishes. Providing the entire meal, 20 or so. No help; my husband needs directions to boil water, and the kids were too young to provide any real help at the time. No clue how I did it, though!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics