Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Can a kashrus mashgiach support a family?

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 1:57 pm
hi,
My husband would like to go into the kashrus field. I think he would be good at it, however, I don't know anything about the salary. How much would he make working for the ou, star-k, ok etc?

Thanks!

rfeig613

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 2:12 pm
It's a poor choice.

You make no more than $15-$20 an hour, and that's in the better places. It's menial work, and you can't support a family on that. DH did that, and he's going back to school for accounting now. The owners often give a really hard time. If your husband wants to talk tomy husband about it, PM me.

wifenmother

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 2:22 pm
It depends a lot on the hashgachos he works for and what he's supervising. There are mashgichim that supervise local establishments, many that drive long distances, as well as those that fly internationally. I know a number of individuals with solid middle class income in that field, as well as those that are really well off as they've become sought after for various specialties.

rfeig613

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 2:25 pm
The best jobs go to those with semicha and years of kollel learning.

Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 2:29 pm
rfeig613 wrote:

Everyone has to start at the bottom (like drudge work checking lettuce for bugs) unless you specifically have some kind of "in."

rfeig613

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 2:33 pm
DH did it for a few years. Most of his work involved washing vegetables. He wanted something better, along the lines of making factory inspections, or working on a cholov yisroel dairy farm, or working in a fish plant, but they save those low-impact jobs for those with protekzia.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 6:02 pm
The starting salary is abt $15-20 depending on 1. Whether or not he has some type of experience even minor 2. How quickly he learns on the job 3. How quickly he gets to really understand what the job is.
I want to make one thing clear that many ppl dont realize untill theyre actually on the job: its not a babysitting job. It can very very often be real hard work. It can be very exhausting. Driving to the companys at early hrs coming home anywhere bet 6-10 pm. Before applying for such a job you have to be very true with yourself and spouse if youre ready to commit. Also expect to be first hired on a trial basis for $15 an hr and if the bal machshir will decide whether or not youre capable. If he finds the guy to be very capable after trial you can expect a starting salary of around $20 and hr. The $20 and hr includes driving. For exp if traveling takes him 3 hrs each way he will get $20x6 in addition to the work hrs + gas and tolls paid too.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 6:06 pm
rfeig613 wrote:

Huh?? No semicha is needed to be a kashrus mashgiach. My dh plays a very big role in a very big kashrus organization. He doesnt have semicha and got in without an oz of protektzia. He worked himself up to where he is now soley cuz of dedication, capabilities, and hard work.

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 6:53 pm
I'm pretty sure the guys who go to make factory inspections and the like get paid more then $20 an hour.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 8:13 pm
My dh makes 50$ an hour for factory inspection for one of the big kashrus organizations. but its not his full time job, when they need him they call him.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 9:39 pm
amother wrote:
My dh makes 50$ an hour for factory inspection for one of the big kashrus organizations. but its not his full time job, when they need him they call him.

Thats cuz hes not full time. A full time mashgiach will only make that kind of $ with year of experience. My dh makes abt $28 an hr after 9 yrs. But he makes a living cuz he puts in a ton of hrs. Many organizations pay by the shift say $200-300 a shift. A shift of 3 hrs and a shift of 12 hrs pay the same.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 10:23 pm
$20 an hour in some places is a decent living.
Working as a mashgiach temidi in one place can include benefits, vacation days, paid holidays. Then $20hr isn't bad.
Working part time, where you have to take out your own taxes, don't get paid for off days, don't get benefits, can make a big difference.

I work as a mashgicha. Full time, one location. I am paid by the company but answer to the kashrus companys who we are under. I am a single mom and if it werent for tuitions, I would be quite comfy.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 2:36 am
amother wrote:
$20 an hour in some places is a decent living.
Working as a mashgiach temidi in one place can include benefits, vacation days, paid holidays. Then $20hr isn't bad.
Working part time, where you have to take out your own taxes, don't get paid for off days, don't get benefits, can make a big difference.

I work as a mashgicha. Full time, one location. I am paid by the company but answer to the kashrus companys who we are under. I am a single mom and if it werent for tuitions, I would be quite comfy.

We should start a group for mashgichot!

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 2:51 am
My husband a lawyer makes 20/hr.....so.....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics