Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help me with feeding solids!!

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 4:23 pm
8 month dd likes her solids, but I can't get the food in into her mouth!

She opens her mouth, but her tongue is always in the way and I can't get the food inside. I sit here feeding her for half hour (with spoon and without) and most ends up on her clothes, high chair on the floor - hardly any actually gets in.

Never any issues with nursing - was straightforward, starting from in the delivery room.

Is her tongue too long? Any tips??

queenert

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 4:54 pm
You can try seeing if she has tongue tie...some babies manage nursing even with it but then have issues later.
But maybe try letting her feed herself. Cubes of sweet potato or something soft if you're nervous. If she's the one doing the feeding she might have better luck because she's more motivated.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 12:42 pm
It's normal for babies to stick out their tongues when first leearning to eat. I recommend trying a mesh feeder or something similar (we had a silicone one which I likes better) - you put a piece of food inside and baby holds it and gums on it until small bits of food come out. This will help her learn to keep the food in her mouth better, since the feeder is already in her mouth blocking the way out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics