Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
How's my English?

Water Stones

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 6:05 pm
Hi
I have been here for a little while and writing here every day help me to learn better in English. Speaking was my better but writing so much help me learn to write like I'm and not I am, and gonna instead of going to, how's and not how is. Like that.

So if you know me can you notice if I got better writing English style??

Thanks!

oliveoil

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 6:14 pm
I definitely noticed recently that it has improved significantly. Good going!

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 6:23 pm
Your English is 100% understandable. It has a bit of an "accent" in the way you use words, your syntax maybe. But you don't sound at all stupid or anything like that. It's more like a cute interesting foreign accent. (But don't worry about this - people on here have also said I have an accent even though English is my first language, just because I am not American). But it is very very clear what you are trying to say, so don't worry.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 6:27 pm
I actually did notice that it got much better. Which is amazing. I cannot imagine learning a new language.

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 6:29 pm
oliveoil wrote:
I definitely noticed recently that it has improved significantly. Good going!

Ye, me too.

sequoia

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 6:48 pm
It's much better! Read, write, speak, watch movies and shows with subtitles on, and it will be perfect in no time Smile

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 6:50 pm
I also noticed it's much better! Keep it up!

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 7:34 pm
Your hard work is paying off. I've definitely noticed an improvement in your written English. Keep up the good work.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 9:03 pm
And know that even at your worst here, it would probably take many of us years to achieve that level of proficiency in whatever your native language is.

Water Stones

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 10:25 pm
Thank you sisters! I will keep writing and learning to get to better!!!!

shanie5

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 10:32 pm
I agree your english is improving. I find it funny that you wrote "gonna" is better than "going to" as "going to" is correct while "gonna" is slang. That means you're really learning the language!!

Water Stones

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 6:46 pm
shanie5 wrote:
I agree your english is improving. I find it funny that you wrote "gonna" is better than "going to" as "going to" is correct while "gonna" is slang. That means you're really learning the language!!

Rolling Laughter

Thank you!!

littleprincess

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 6:57 pm
When I started learning English I asked one of my friends to only speak English to me. Took some time but it improved...
Also reading helps a lot but doesn't teach u how to pronounce words

Ur amazing for trying and we always understand you

Out of curiosity : where r u from?

Water Stones

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 7:15 pm
littleprincess wrote:
When I started learning English I asked one of my friends to only speak English to me. Took some time but it improved...
Also reading helps a lot but doesn't teach u how to pronounce words

Ur amazing for trying and we always understand you

Out of curiosity : where r u from?

I learn speaking English by 2 American ladys who working at my home. My mother told them only speak English to us. So I been learning from age 16. But only a little bit writing it.

I am from Denmark.

kenz

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 9:21 pm
Seashells, I think you're doing great and will only continue to improve in both written and verbal skills. But as someone with a degree in English, I have to say that the fact that you see using "gonna" as an improvement made me cringe. I'm is correct although less formal (it's a contraction). But gonna is not a real word and although verbally it's fine, please don't try to perfect your written English by losing your grammar skills!

workaholicmama

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 9:44 pm
When I married my Israeli husband a wise man told me to speak only English so he can learn English(both our "mother tongues" were Yiddish) . We tried for abt 2 weeks, and he did learn many many new words, but every time we had an argument or passionate discussion I reverted back to Yiddish... he still makes fun of my inability to really express myself in English.(though I'm much much better after a decade of reading mostly English.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics