Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
FEPS - Family Eviction Prevention Subsidy, pros and cons?

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 11:04 am
What are the pros and cons of accepting a tenant with FEPS - Family Eviction Prevention Subsidy?

http://www.newdestinyhousing.o...../feps

TIA

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 2:51 pm
This is an interesting program. I'm currently showing an open one bedroom here, I've apts scheduled every 30 minutes. Our requirements are 3xrent as income, first last and a security equal to one months rent, (we also require 3 years continuous work in the same field and 3 years rental references). (Rent is $700 for about 750 sq ft.) Our housing authority doesn't have programs such as this and all renters are reviewed on a level playing ground.

From reading about the program it is for folks who are in arrears and on public assistance. I guess it may work on keeping folks in place while they are behind on rent. But it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 3:47 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
This is an interesting program. I'm currently showing an open one bedroom here, I've apts scheduled every 30 minutes. Our requirements are 3xrent as income, first last and a security equal to one months rent, (we also require 3 years continuous work in the same field and 3 years rental references). (Rent is $700 for about 750 sq ft.) Our housing authority doesn't have programs such as this and all renters are reviewed on a level playing ground.

From reading about the program it is for folks who are in arrears and on public assistance. I guess it may work on keeping folks in place while they are behind on rent. But it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Thanks, but Im not clear. What does the program you describe have to do with FEPS?

What did you find wrong with FEPS, after reading about it?

I never accepted any rent subsidy programs, and I dont have to because its a small house. I chose to rent for less and not accept programs. I think I prefer to keep it that way.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 3:56 pm
You're basically accepting a tenant who has been evicted. They can't pay rent and FEPS is guaranteeing to pay a small portion of the rent (say 400 for family of 3 if all 3 people are on welfare) for up to 5 years but if the tenant gets kicked off welfare during that time the game's over. And there's no guarantee you'll get the remaining rent money from the tenant even if they stay on welfare during those 5 years. And after 5 years you'll have to spend a few years and lots of money trying to evict them in court while you get zero payments from them or for them.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 4:25 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks, but Im not clear. What does the program you describe have to do with FEPS?

What did you find wrong with FEPS, after reading about it?

I never accepted any rent subsidy programs, and I dont have to because its a small house. I chose to rent for less and not accept programs. I think I prefer to keep it that way.

My local housing authority has no subsidies aside from Section 8 vouchers. In my state all renters must be treated equally, means that subsidized renters must meet the income requirements established by the property owner (and all other requirements).

FEP appears to be a program that will help pay rent when it is in arrears but not yet in the eviction process (court filed). I guess for some property owners who are renting to folks who are on assistance that could be good thing, the FEP site doesn't really define public assistance. Are they talking Housing Choice vouchers or TANF or FS or Medicaid?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 7:21 pm
I am in the process of applying for FEPS. Basically they help pay rent arrears in order to prevent eviction. I didn't know it can be transferred to a new address. You should probably speak to a housing attorney.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 7:22 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
My local housing authority has no subsidies aside from Section 8 vouchers. In my state all renters must be treated equally, means that subsidized renters must meet the income requirements established by the property owner (and all other requirements).

FEP appears to be a program that will help pay rent when it is in arrears but not yet in the eviction process (court filed). I guess for some property owners who are renting to folks who are on assistance that could be good thing, the FEP site doesn't really define public assistance. Are they talking Housing Choice vouchers or TANF or FS or Medicaid?

I believe the opposite is the case, based on my experience. I needed court paperwork in order to apply.

staten islander

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 9:21 am
I am writing this under my own screen name-I have had section 8 tenants and ,10 times out of 10, the amount of damage to the rental was ridiculous. When you have no skin in the game, no reason to be careful with other people's property.I would never accept a tenant who is on govt programs unless I legally had to do so. You will have people throwing tomatoes at me but these are mostly people that have never been landlords and never had to spend thousands of dollars of their own money fixing damage section 8 renters left behind
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics