Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Trump further alienating US citizens with his family, why?
1  2  Next

Mevater

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 6:04 pm
Why is Trump further alienating US citizens with his family invited to sit in on meetings with foreign dignitaries?

Do he and his very smart and capable advisers, who helped him win, think that in the long run, this will benefit him? Does he not care? Do they not care?

tryinghard

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 7:15 pm
Mevater wrote:
Why is Trump further alienating US citizens with his family invited to sit in on meetings with foreign dignitaries?

Do he and his very smart and capable advisers, who helped him win, think that in the long run, this will benefit him? Does he not care? Do they not care?

Can you please give a link to what you are talking about? Thanks!

icebreaker

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 7:32 pm
I think Ivanka sat down in a meeting? Or something like that? Yeah, not cool at all. Imagine if Sasha or Malia were of age and Obama did that too! The h*ll he would get!

Mevater

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 7:37 pm
tryinghard wrote:
Can you please give a link to what you are talking about? Thanks!

"WASHINGTON — The potential for conflicts of interest between President-elect Donald J. Trump and his family’s business ventures emerged again Thursday evening, when a photograph was distributed that showed his daughter Ivanka at a meeting between Mr. Trump and the prime minister of Japan.

News reporters were not allowed to attend the session, Mr. Trump’s first with a foreign head of state, and no summary was provided about what was discussed. A separate photograph was distributed — press photographers were not allowed to cover the event — showing that Jared Kushner, Ms. Trump’s husband, was present for at least part of the gathering."

I read elsewhere that Trump will not be having family attend meetings in the future. Hopefully.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11......html

Raisin

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 8:06 pm
Mevater wrote:

Like who?

gold21

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 8:16 pm
I don't feel alienated by it.

What specifically bothers you about it?

leah233

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 8:27 pm
Trumps children do not belong by meetings with foreign leaders.

But he is hardly the first president to do that. Clinton had his daughter Chelsea actively involve herself in the Israeli - Palestinian "peace" talks.

And Carter claimed to be taking advice from his daughter Amy, who was still a minor at the time, by the Democratic National Convention. About major policy issues.

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 8:46 pm
leah233 wrote:
Trumps children do not belong by meetings with foreign leaders.

But he is hardly the first president to do that. Clinton had his daughter Chelsea actively involve herself in the Israeli - Palestinian "peace" talks.

And Carter claimed to be taking advice from his daughter Amy, who was still a minor at the time, by the Democratic National Convention. About major policy issues.

To the bold, I can't find any documentation of your claim, could you please be kind enough to provide a link.

ETA: You are mischaracterizing President Carter's comments about Amy at the DNC, unless you can prove otherwise.

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Sat, Nov 19 2016, 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 8:49 pm
A meeting that is primarily ceremonial is far different than negotiating a nuke deal with Iran. President-elect Trump is approaching these non-policy kinds of meetings exactly the way one would expect of a reality-TV star.

What will be more interesting is whether Jared Kushner will have an official position in the the Administration.

sequoia

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 9:07 pm
Wasn't Amy Carter nine?

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 9:18 pm
sequoia wrote:
Wasn't Amy Carter nine?

In a debate with Reagan, President Carter mentioned that when he once asked Amy what the most important issue in the election was she said nuclear arms. Mind you by that time Amy's grandmother had been arrested several times for protesting nuclear arms. This could be what the op was referring to. I'm still interested in hearing what role Chelsea played in the peace talks.

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 9:22 pm
I think a better example than the Clinton and Carter kids is Reagan and his daughter (Maureen?).
But yeah, as much as he trusts his kids, and we all have good vibes about Ivanka reining him in, the conflict of interest thing with his business must be addressed.

WhatFor

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 10:06 pm
Apparently he met with his Indian business partners after he was elected to discuss business as well as Indian policy. There's also this:

Quote:
The Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C., hosted an informative session for foreign diplomats this past week explaining how these dignitaries could rent rooms during a Trump presidency, according to The Washington Post. This would, in effect, involve foreign governments putting money directly into the president’s pocket while diplomats visited Washington, D.C., to conduct official business.

One anonymous diplomat from an Asian country explained to the Post, “Why wouldn’t I stay at his hotel blocks from the White House, so I can tell the new president, ‘I love your new hotel!’ Isn’t it rude to come to his city and say, ‘I am staying at your competitor?’”

Nothing to see here, folks. Keep moving along.

source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/.....78fe?

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 10:13 pm
WhatFor wrote:
...Apparently he met with his Indian business partners after he was elected to discuss business as well as Indian policy. ...

I've read that his men's sport coats are made in India. I don't know if he has any hotels licensed there.

WhatFor

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 11:20 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I've read that his men's sport coats are made in India. I don't know if he has any hotels licensed there.

He's building condos there. The hotel thing was separate- that's about his DC hotel, which held a session for foreign diplomats regarding renting rooms there when Trump becomes president.

It's all good, though. Don't worry. The hotel will be in a blind trust with his children who are also part of his transition team, so there shouldn't be any conflict of interest. Trust him. He's the most honest man you'll ever meet. THE MOST HONEST. No one loves honesty more than him. There are billions and billions of people who have done business with him and they all say the same thing: Donald Trump is the most honest man, he's the best businessman, and also the most honest. You have never met a more honest man in your life. Trust him.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 12:20 am
WhatFor wrote:
He's building condos there. The hotel thing was separate- that's about his DC hotel, which held a session for foreign diplomats regarding renting rooms there when Trump becomes president.

It's all good, though. Don't worry. The hotel will be in a blind trust with his children who are also part of his transition team, so there shouldn't be any conflict of interest. Trust him. He's the most honest man you'll ever meet. THE MOST HONEST. No one loves honesty more than him. There are billions and billions of people who have done business with him and they all say the same thing: Donald Trump is the most honest man, he's the best businessman, and also the most honest. You have never met a more honest man in your life. Trust him.

Rolling Laughter

leah233

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 12:42 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
To the bold, I can't find any documentation of your claim, could you please be kind enough to provide a link.

See this link

http://www.nydailynews.com/arc.....83265

The Israeli newspapers at the time did not report Chelsea's involvement in such euphemistic terms. They were outraged at her involvement

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 2:18 pm
leah233 wrote:
See this link

http://www.nydailynews.com/arc.....83265

The Israeli newspapers at the time did not report Chelsea's involvement in such euphemistic terms. They were outraged at her involvement

Gosh you made it sound like she had a seat at the table. It's not like her father was requesting she get top secret clearance. Her influences at social events is no different than Trumps DD appearing with the Japanese delegation. (Ibid 'In an effort to break the ice, the President often would have Chelsea sit with both of them at the buffet-style dinners that were held for the full delegations during the evening.') ( Ibid 'Chelsea socialized easily with heads of state - pinch-hitting as she often does now in the First Lady's role for her mother, Hillary, who was busy campaigning for the Senate in New York.')

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 3:21 pm
Hillary Clinton had a fair degree of involvement in her husband's administration. Remember HillaryCare?

tryinghard

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 3:34 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Gosh you made it sound like she had a seat at the table. It's not like her father was requesting she get top secret clearance.

But this was just an unfounded rumor. He DIDNT request clearance.

MagentaYenta wrote:
Her influences at social events is no different than Trumps DD appearing with the Japanese delegation. (Ibid 'In an effort to break the ice, the President often would have Chelsea sit with both of them at the buffet-style dinners that were held for the full delegations during the evening.') ( Ibid 'Chelsea socialized easily with heads of state - pinch-hitting as she often does now in the First Lady's role for her mother, Hillary, who was busy campaigning for the Senate in New York.')

I am confused - are you saying having Ivanka there was ok, or not?
If his having her there was a problem, see Bill Clinton/Chelsea. But you cannot complain about Ivanka being at meetings and then defend Bill doing the same thing.

Regardless, I think there is still a lot of hysteria going on - THE MAN IS NOT YET PRESIDENT! He never promised that he would remove himself from business dealings on November 10th, just that as president, he would not be involved. There is such over-the-top freaking out going on here, and mostly from people who thought there was no way in the world the guy would win. If he never had a chance, you should really give him a little bit of time to TRANSITION into his new job, which (wait for it...) doesn't begin until January 20th.

Of course the best example of this is Elizabeth Warren complaining that he broke his promises to the American people because he won the election over a week ago and has done nothing as of yet to "drain the swamp".
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics