Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Brooklyn gym where a boy can work out and build muscle?

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 5:09 pm
My 12 year old son is small for his age and very thin. His doctor says he needs to eat protein and build muscle.

1. I don't want to send him to a men's gym where he will be all alone.

I could try to find someone to go with him

2. Alternatively I could send him to physical therapy (He does have straight new York Medicaid due to his physical health, which would cover the cost)

Does anyone know of a good place that REALLY does therapy? I had a bad experience when he was much younger; they did nothing but talk and wasted our time. There should be a discernible difference within a month if the child is pumping iron.

3. I could find someone to train him privately but that would probably be very costly.
we live in Brooklyn,
does anyone have any ideas?
thank you so much!

doctorima

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 6:10 pm
I've heard of a frum men's gym program on Avenue M, I think in the high teens, that has equipment and possibly either classes or trainers that can work with your son. Hopefully somebody here will know the name and can post it with the contact info.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 7:19 pm
Check out the pakua school. They have classes and teach martial arts and other disciplines. Great for self esteem and muscle building. Ita on quentin and Nostrand. Google or go down...

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 7:57 pm
the OTs at Refuah Physical Therapy on Ave M off Nostrand were very good with my son. I had to make it clear that he was there to work on core strength, not handwriting (they wanted to address everything at once, but I felt this was more important). We went through insurance. They have PT there as well, but they wouldn't work with my son regularly through insurance. after making a whole bunch of calls, it seems no PT in brooklyn will work with children through insurance unless they were in a car accident. if you need PT, push the DOE to give you services. meanwhile, OT can accomplish a lot. The head OT at Refuah is Robin Akselrud. You can let her know what you want to focus on and she'll make sure it gets done. I saw a big improvement in my son when we went there.

cnc

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 8:00 pm
Are you okay with him going to a gym and working with a personal trainer?

If yes look into Better Health Studio.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children