Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Weighted blanket for 5 year old.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 4:30 pm
Did anyone use a weighted blanket to try to get their child to sleep better at night. My 5 year old gets up so many times till he ends up in my room. I saw these blankets online but they r pricey and don't want to spend tull I hear real reviews.

Thanks!

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 5:21 pm
1. You can find on etsy for cheaper, just calculate the weight correctly
2. It did not help my son fall asleep without melatoning unfortunately, but each child is different

cholenteater

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 6:18 pm
If your son receives O.T. services, find out if it can be given as a prescription so you can get it through insurance. You can also Google DIY ideas. Pinterest probably will have a bunch- you can make it yourself following the guides.

Last edited by cholenteater on Sun, Nov 20 2016, 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 6:20 pm
He doesn't get ot services. I just need him to sleep through the night without getting up 10 times....till he is in my room.
I am considering essential oils also...

cholenteater

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 6:25 pm
Look at the related threads that are under this thread- one poster said she made a lap blanket with sand, another said with rice. I would definitely try to make one on my own before spending the money. Google is your friend! Maybe you can find a person who is willing to lend a weighted blanket for a few nights to see if this is an investment that is worth it? It could be that the weighted blanket will not help- it would be a pity to spend the money if not necessary.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 8:01 pm
Try a weighted excercise vest from Amazon. I use it sometimes when my son does HW to help settle him. Sometimes he wears it and sometimes I put it in his lap. Or try weighted ankle brackets. May have the same effect.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 8:11 pm
cholenteater wrote:
If your son receives O.T. services, find out if it can be given as a prescription so you can get it through insurance. You can also Google DIY ideas. Pinterest probably will have a bunch- you can make it yourself following the guides.

Have you actually had any experience getting this covered as medical equipment through insurance? never heard of such a thing and would be interested in details!

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 5:05 pm
My dd needs to be tucked in very tightly at night. She is getting ot services. Would a weighted blanket work for that? and is it possible to get one for a decent price?

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 5:24 pm
Update: op here. I tried to make my own with rice name duct tape but it burst the first night shock
I bought one on etsy but it's not helping unfortunately Crying although he loves the blanket. I am also calming him with essential oils..

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 5:44 pm
Never heard of using duct tape for this, all the tutorials I saw online are for sewing. I keep toying with the idea of trying that but at this point I think I'd rather just pony up $100 or so and buy one. I just wish someone had one I could try first to see if it will work for us.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 5:45 pm
seeker wrote:
Never heard of using duct tape for this, all the tutorials I saw online are for sewing. I keep toying with the idea of trying that but at this point I think I'd rather just pony up $100 or so and buy one. I just wish someone had one I could try first to see if it will work for us.

same here I would pay the money if I knew it would work but I cant afford to shell out that kind of money for it not to work.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 5:48 pm
Well, news flash: I didn't buy a weighted blanket yet, nor did I try the DIY version because by the time I'd gather the materials and time I could just buy one already, but here's what's been happening - a few nights it was cold and DH threw my nice warm quilt over the DDs. (they have plushy blankets and fuzzy pajamas and our apartment is usually warm so they've never complained, but so it is.) DD often has a hard time falling asleep and that seems to have gotten worse lately. I have found that essential oils help a lot of times but I keep forgetting to use them, with all the other things going on around bedtime. And it doesn't always help. Same for melatonin - usually helps but by the time I remember it it's practically too late. Anyway a few times lately she popped out of bed saying she couldn't fall asleep, and I said "what do you think would help?" and she said your big blanket. Well, every time this happened I put my blanket on her and POOF! She was out within minutes! I have no idea if this is psychological or what but it's enough to convince me that a weighted blanket is worth a try. My warm quilt happens to not even be heavy, it's more light and fluffy but traps warmth, but it is big so for a petite 6-year-old is probably a nice weight.

So nu, anyone have a recommendation for something that is affordable and worth it? Any quality recommendations from Etsy? Or do I go with a "real" brand?

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 5:50 pm
Also, random thought of the day, I just saw the dates on this thread and it's so recent. My feeling was that we'd discussed this ages ago. Weird.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 7:43 pm
Op here. My ds doesn't even use it..StI'll same issues. Can't get him to sleep the night in his own bed.
I ordered on etsy for 60 dollars. There were lots of cute designs to choose from.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 7:52 pm
If it's not helping, wanna resell it? LOL
Where did you find one for $60? I'm browsing around but it's taking forever because most things the original picture says $20 or something and then when you click on it there's "options," none of which end up being anywhere remotely near $20.

goodmorning

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 8:00 pm
seeker wrote:
Well, news flash: I didn't buy a weighted blanket yet, nor did I try the DIY version because by the time I'd gather the materials and time I could just buy one already, but here's what's been happening - a few nights it was cold and DH threw my nice warm quilt over the DDs. (they have plushy blankets and fuzzy pajamas and our apartment is usually warm so they've never complained, but so it is.) DD often has a hard time falling asleep and that seems to have gotten worse lately. I have found that essential oils help a lot of times but I keep forgetting to use them, with all the other things going on around bedtime. And it doesn't always help. Same for melatonin - usually helps but by the time I remember it it's practically too late. Anyway a few times lately she popped out of bed saying she couldn't fall asleep, and I said "what do you think would help?" and she said your big blanket. Well, every time this happened I put my blanket on her and POOF! She was out within minutes! I have no idea if this is psychological or what but it's enough to convince me that a weighted blanket is worth a try. My warm quilt happens to not even be heavy, it's more light and fluffy but traps warmth, but it is big so for a petite 6-year-old is probably a nice weight.

So nu, anyone have a recommendation for something that is affordable and worth it? Any quality recommendations from Etsy? Or do I go with a "real" brand?

How expensive was your quilt? Is it worth getting another of those? It seems to work well so far...

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 8:09 pm
It was actually really cheap because it was the Kohl's black friday one. I should have bought another one or two this year just to spread the warmth around the family, but I didn't have the budget for it while the sale was going on. Maybe next time... But I still want the weighted blankets because: 1. It gets very warm. I think we need the weight without the warmth, especially when the weather changes and/or the heat kicks into full drive. 2. It's very big. Maybe there are somewhat smaller options. Then again maybe if it were a smaller one it wouldn't work because 3. I'ts really lightweight, because it's big I usually double it up or pile it up on DD, and I also want a weighted blanket for myself and for me this quilt is very light.

libbas

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 8:50 pm
I found putting my kids to sleep in thick sweatshirts helps them sleep through the night. They each have warm blankets but now in the winter there is a bit of a chill in the air and I found this really helps. One con though; I have to wake them in the morning and pull them out of that warm cocoon instead of them waking before me.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 9:09 pm
It's not the warmth for us, it's the weight. This particular child almost never feels cold. She also tends to kick off blankets.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics