Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Question re pilot trip

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 8:37 pm
I am set on making Aliya.

Question: I've seen brief reference to ''pilot trip''. Can you say more about that? What's the significance of a pilot trip? I have such a hard time with air travel, I would like to fly one way and stay there, if at all possible.

How do you all decide on a neighborhood?

What considerations need I think about now? I plan to make aliya in the next year, two, or three.

Thanks!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 3:15 am
Thats just it. A pilot trip would be to look at communities, places you want to live. If you have children, then schools as well.
Personally, I make aliyah as a 23 year old, on my own and found a flat with room mates before I even got here.
You dont need to go on a ppilot trip, but it can help in deciding things for you.

essie14

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 5:13 am
amother wrote:
I am set on making Aliya.

Question: I've seen brief reference to ''pilot trip''. Can you say more about that? What's the significance of a pilot trip? I have such a hard time with air travel, I would like to fly one way and stay there, if at all possible.

How do you all decide on a neighborhood?

What considerations need I think about now? I plan to make aliya in the next year, two, or three.

Thanks!

That's exactly what a pilot trip is for. You do research and select a few communities that you think you will like and then you visit as many as you can. Do you have children? Research schools in those communities and go visit. Observe a class, meet the principals, meet parents if possible. You need to get a feel of what will be the best fit for your family.

If your pilot trip is within 6 months of your aliyah you can look at housing, you can meet neighbors and stay in touch with them. It will be much easier when you land if you have some friends nearby, or at least people who have met you and can help out. The beginning os Aliyah is HARD. You need all the support you can get.

Are you single? Then it's much easier to come without a pilot trip. You can be more flexible if it's just you. But to transplant your family to a place you have never seen is really tough.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 12:29 am
My children are adults/grown. So no school issues. I want a quiet peaceful place.

My husband is no longer around.

What are the pros/cons of living north/south, east/west?

Thanks for any info!

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 12:31 am
amother wrote:
My children are adults/grown. So no school issues. I want a quiet peaceful place.
There are so many quiet and peaceful places to choose in this country, but that being said, if it is just you who is going to be coming, it is much easier to just find a place to park your things in the beginning and then from there, when you are already here, in the country, you go places to check out different communities.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 12:44 am
Contact Tzippy Oppenheimer through N b'N Go North.

We live in Nahariya, and absolutely love it here. Small, quiet, neighborly, but not so small as to be boring. Lots of things to see and do, without it being crowded. There are many Anglos here in the above 40 age group, and quite a few singles. Separate Torah classes for men and women, great Shabbos hospitality, and several shuls to choose from. Housing is VERY affordable here.

Right now, I'm looking out my bedroom window at the ocean, enjoying the sea breeze, and listening to the birds sing. Bliss!

If you decide to move here, I can introduce you to a fabulous rental agent who will help you get settled in, and I'd be happy to introduce you around to everyone, show you my favorite shops, and who makes the best felafel. Very Happy

essie14

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 1:24 am
amother wrote:

My husband is no longer around.

What are the pros/cons of living north/south, east/west?

Thanks for any info!

Then you will probably be OK without a pilot trip. Wherever you choose to settle, you can always move fairly easily if you're just one person.
Are you still working? Is commuting to a job a factor?
The North is beautiful! I would love to retire to there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions