Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bed wetting
1  2  Next

Emaplus4

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 10:05 pm
Hello.. Can someone please help me with some information on bed wetting transmitter devices. I would like to purchase one but not sure which one really works good. I have 3 that wet the bed raging 4 6 8 embarrassed . I have tried everything with bed time routines, no water before bed time, and waking them up in the middle of the night.

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 10:17 pm
Bedwetting often runs in families.

You should not feel embarrassed by it. It happens. Your kids WILL grow out of it IY"H (in almost every case).

Hatzlocha!

Emaplus4

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 10:31 pm
Thanks for replying. I know it can be genetic some times. I personally am not embarrassed B''H I m not complaning I will take my pakalach happily but they are and for that I do feel bad for them. I tell them it's ok and I dont make a big deal out of it but it is hard and sometimes frustrating to wash all of them in the morning (specially when your running a little late) and wash all the clothes plus line and blankets (when I just washed them the night before) which is a small price ro pay for having children :-)

rydys

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 11:03 pm
It is totally normal to still be wetting at night at those ages. Why not just put them in pullups and save yourself the trouble of washing everything every day?

I have found that the alarms do not usually work with such young children. I advise people not to even try until the child is 11 or 12 or older depending on their maturity level.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 11:08 pm
My 13 and 11 year olds still wet the bed. 😥 My dr says it usually goes away with puberty but my daughter has her period already a year and still...

Emaplus4

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 11:21 pm
I myself only stop at 14... I do put them in diapers (cheaper then pull ups) but sometimes they fall off in the middle of the night or over loaded or I forget to but them on

Emaplus4

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 11:22 pm
rydys wrote:
It is totally normal to still be wetting at night at those ages. Why not just put them in pullups and save yourself the trouble of washing everything every day?

I have found that the alarms do not usually work with such young children. I advise people not to even try until the child is 11 or 12 or older depending on their maturity level.

I did not know that, about the alarm

gold21

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 12:52 am
Emaplus4 wrote:
I myself only stop at 14... I do put them in diapers (cheaper then pull ups) but sometimes they fall off in the middle of the night or over loaded or I forget to but them on

Put a thick absorbent mattress pad (like the type sold in medical supply stores) across the child's bed at night before he goes to sleep. A pair of well-fitting Goodnites pull-ups along with an absorbent mattress pad should eliminate some of these issues.

(I was a bedwetter as a child Tongue Out and yes I grew out of it LOL )

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 7:06 am
I have a kid who's a bedwetter and it's tough for everyone! The non stop linen drives me crazy (I have a heavy soaker and no products contain him completely. He also rolls around so he gets everything wet). It's hard for him socially too because he doesn't want sleepovers.

One thing that hasn't worked for me but works for others is to remove dairy from their diets.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 7:13 am
Heavy bedwetters here too. One son stopped at 14 the other son a 12 yr old still going strong Crying

mom35

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 7:14 am
Quote:

I'm not going to argue with what you personally have found, but I have found quite the opposite, as have professionals in this field. Bed-wetting runs on my side and my husband's family, so my kids pretty much didn't stand a chance. We tried everything, from eliminating drinks, to nightly wake-ups and nothing helped. As a last resort we went to Dr. Sagie, http://www.bedwettingtherapy.com/ and he explained to us why nothing we've been trying truly helps the underlying long-term issue. B"H we've had much success with his method (of which his main component is an alarm!) with all under age 10! I can see why under 6 may be young, but definitely from 6-7 yrs and older should be able to work with it.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 7:17 am
We tried the alarm, the kid slept right through but woke his siblings in sharing his room!

mom35

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 7:22 am
So part of Dr. Sagie's plan is that a parent sleep/be close enough to the child so that as soon as it beeps the parent can wake up the child, and the child himself has to shut the alarm. After a few nights, the child gets used to it and wakes up on their own from it...
Granted, it may take a few nights of waking others, or the parent compromising on their sleep, but I guess it boils down to how important it is to the child and or parent. I took that over having a child who refused to sleep in diapers and having to wash pj's and linen every day, never mind the rare occasion when child had to sleep out and it became very uncomfortable to everyone involved.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 7:43 am
mom35 wrote:
So part of Dr. Sagie's plan is that a parent sleep/be close enough to the child so that as soon as it beeps the parent can wake up the child, and the child himself has to shut the alarm. After a few nights, the child gets used to it and wakes up on their own from it...
Granted, it may take a few nights of waking others, or the parent compromising on their sleep, but I guess it boils down to how important it is to the child and or parent. I took that over having a child who refused to sleep in diapers and having to wash pj's and linen every day, never mind the rare occasion when child had to sleep out and it became very uncomfortable to everyone involved.

We tried an alarm using that method and it didn't work for my son. He's a very heavy sleeper and even though he was motivated by day, at night he was not willing to wake up or do anything and would sleep through the alarm. We would try to wake him, take him to the bathroom, wake him up in some way and it didn't work. And then because we interrupted his sleep, he was cranky and tired for the few weeks we tried. It's not for everyone.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 8:58 am
That's my problem too.
Kids ages 4.5 and 6. My kids are all heavy sleepers from the start. They all slept through the new get well. But they don't wake for the bathroom.
My sister used medication and was very happy.
I'm thinking of going to the meuhedet clinic for this as my Dr here suggested.

I wake them both 1.5 hours after they go to bed. It's not to train them, rather to save myself some laundry.

Queen6

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 1:44 pm
All doctors say it will go away and to do nothing. But why?! Why should your kid wake up sopping every morning and not be able to go to camp or have a sleep over? The bed wetting devices on line are ok but Dr. Sagie is the best. He is expensive but it works. Go for it.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 1:56 pm
We used an alarm for my daughter at age 8, with excellent results. Our insurance covers an alarm as durable medical equipment starting at age 7. Before that age there really is no point. The child and parent must both be totally committed to the project in order for this to work.

We found the information from bedwettingstore . com very useful, and used the "seven steps" book from the website (no personal affiliation).

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 2:14 pm
The alarm did wonders for my 5 year old son. He was day trained at 2 1/2 and just could not get himself to get up at night. A few weeks of the alarm and bli ayin hara there are only accidents when he is sick. The pediatrician said it was not anything to be concerned about before the age of 6 but for many reasons we felt that the timing was appropriate to try.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 3:56 pm
I really believed in the alarm, but in the end it didn't work for us long term.
We used it for our 8 year old who was very motivated to be toilet trained at night. The beginning was tough on me but we stuck to it and followed the rules and within a few weeks he was almost perfect. It was amazing the difference.
Unfortunately, within a few weeks of stopping the alarms he fell back 100% into his old pattern. When we went back to use the alarm it no longer worked, the battery may have leaked slightly damaging the connectors.

My son is almost 9 and we are looking to see if he may have sleep apnea - due to other signs - and it may be contributing to this issue.

I take him to the bathroom every night at about 11:00 but he still wakes up heavly soaked every night.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 4:48 pm
My oldest wet until he was 14 and we tried the alarm, all he did was yank it off himself the first time it rang and slept right through. The worst part was the stench in the room every morning. My youngest also wets. He's 6 and I'm just expecting he will probably be the same. I had the two bedwetters sleep in the same room so at least only one room smelled badly. It's a challenge and the laundry room always has piles of linen to be washed. Now in the winter I have bedwetters and nosebleeders!!! 😩
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics