Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Photoshop on an apple computer

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 10:41 am
Hi, I use photoshop for my work, and I am currently using it on a PC. I am looking to buy a new computer or laptop and I am thinking of an apple. Does anyone have any experience on how photoshop works on the apple vs the PC? Which one is better? And if I do get the apple, does Photoshop operate differently on it?

tigerwife

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 10:43 am
I've switched from PC to Mac. It's essentially the same, you just need to get used to a few keyboard changes, mainly that 'control' becomes 'command'. You can look up the shortcuts on google but your fingers shouldn't take long to learn the new location.

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 10:53 am
Thanks, is a mac better for photoshop than a PC?

tigerwife

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 12:53 pm
The true computer geeks will tell you it is way better... Personally, I did not find any major difference (I was using an HP laptop with a graphics card before and it was very comparable). Probably 99% of designers use Macs so it's almost become an image thing. No pun intended Smile

kb

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 1:49 pm
I use a mac, though I'm SURE you can find a comparable PC (and likely for cheaper.)
I found the adjustment from a pc to mac pretty smooth. The differences are the shortcut keys, and that the x is on the other side of the screen.

queenert

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 2:44 pm
It is mostly an image thing (nice one tigerwife), but if you do a lot of collaborating, it's nice to be on the same page as your co-workers in terms of color calibration. Macs and PCs are very different in that sense. Mostly fine, but might make a difference in your situation...don't know.

Amarante

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 4:08 pm
I've worked extensively with both Apple and Windows operating systems since I use Apple at home and usually had Windows at work.

There really is almost no difference in using an Application if you know how to use it. I am more familiar with Word than Photoshop but have used Photoshop and I really went seamlessly back and forth although there were a few shortcuts that I missed.

I HIGHLY recommend the Apple operating system versus the PC as I have used both. It's much more stable and things operate more seamlessly especially if you also use the iPad and the iPhone.

I used to work for a software company and the engineer once explained that the reason why MACs have few glitches is because all the machines are made by one company and therefore software is going to operate the same for the machines when they are Beta testing.

With Windows/PC's the machines and the parts are put together by different companies and have different specifications and therefore software might have problems on one brand or even a machine in a brand and not others.

As others have written above, almost all graphics people use MACs - even in offices where the rest of the company is on Windows, the creative departments will have MAC's.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics