Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Trump meeting with the press today off the record
1  2  Next

ectomorph

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 6:42 pm
What do you think of it?

WhatFor

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 7:00 pm
I know nothing about it. Care to elaborate?

I find this funny though. If someone meets with the press off the record, then how can the press report that there was meeting?

ectomorph

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 7:08 pm
I don't want to link to inappropriate language so I suggest you google it.
Buy he basically said that the media has been lying about him and gave examples, like him being behind on putting a cabinet together when he is really ahead, etc.
So now how do they report it... Trump said we are liars.
This has bannons fingerprints all over it.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 7:13 pm
ectomorph wrote:
What do you think of it?

There isn't a lot to think about. Those attending were not permitted to report on the meeting.

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 7:21 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
There isn't a lot to think about. Those attending were not permitted to report on the meeting.

Yet they did. They reported on the content.

Interestingly enough, other past presidents and president elects held similar meetings.

Fox

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 7:23 pm
I'm betting on a good cop/bad cop approach. Trump will abuse the media for a while, and when they're feeling a little desperate about where their stories are going to come from, he'll become much more accommodating.

Mayor Richard M. Daley in Chicago used to do this all the time. Although he broadened it by not just yelling at the press, but actually yelling at the citizens when he felt it was warranted. One year he got mad at everybody for using old chairs to "save" parking spots in the winter and called a press conference to blister our ears on the topic.

So I'm personally waiting until Trump is in office to see if he makes a national address to chew us all out for putting our feet on the furniture or whatever bee happens to be in his bonnet at any given time.

gold21

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 7:24 pm
Don't care.
Hate the media.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 7:29 pm
Squishy wrote:
Yet they did. They reported on the content.

Interestingly enough, other past presidents and president elects held similar meetings.

I know that it is common for sitting presidents, I've read no reportage to indicate that it is common for presidents elect.

I do hope that our president elect chooses not to limit press access while he is sitting. His behavior with restricting press pool access during the campaign was disturbing for some of us who value the contributions of the fourth estate.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 7:39 pm
Fox wrote:
I'm betting on a good cop/bad cop approach. Trump will abuse the media for a while, and when they're feeling a little desperate about where their stories are going to come from, he'll become much more accommodating.

Mayor Richard M. Daley in Chicago used to do this all the time. Although he broadened it by not just yelling at the press, but actually yelling at the citizens when he felt it was warranted. One year he got mad at everybody for using old chairs to "save" parking spots in the winter and called a press conference to blister our ears on the topic.

So I'm personally waiting until Trump is in office to see if he makes a national address to chew us all out for putting our feet on the furniture or whatever bee happens to be in his bonnet at any given time.

Interesting. I think he is trying to destroy big media, period. Hence Steve bannon holding one interview, and that with the Hollywood reporter

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 7:47 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I know that it is common for sitting presidents, I've read no reportage to indicate that it is common for presidents elect.

I do hope that our president elect chooses not to limit press access while he is sitting. His behavior with restricting press pool access during the campaign was disturbing for some of us who value the contributions of the fourth estate.

The Daily Mail said it is common for president elects to hold these off the record press conferences.

Trump is not wrong about the bias of the media. During the campaign, reading the slanted articles reminded me of talking to a crazy person. They are saying things, but they are not logical, nor do they reflect reality. Almost everything had to be read with a strong filter.

I would value the contributions of an unbiased honest fourth estate. Once upon a time, The New York Times was respected.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 7:51 pm
Squishy wrote:
The Daily Mail said it is common for president elects to hold these off the record press conferences.

Trump is not wrong about the bias of the media. During the campaign, reading the slanted articles reminded me of talking to a crazy person. They are saying things, but they are not logical, nor do they reflect reality. Almost everything had to be read with a strong filter.

I would value the contributions of an unbiased honest fourth estate. Once upon a time, The New York Times was respected.

Then we will agree to disagree. I think media access is important for all Americans. I would no more like to see Breitbarts access be restricted, or that of the NYTImes.

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 8:15 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Then we will agree to disagree. I think media access is important for all Americans. I would no more like to see Breitbarts access be restricted, or that of the NYTImes.

I agree media access is important for all Americans. When did I ever say different? I said I didn't value a dishonest media.

Newspapers can be slanted. Indeed, I used to enjoy reading the same news from different perspectives. Once they become propaganda machines and report opinion as facts because they have a stated agenda, then I lose trust. Journalistic standards were suspended during this election and continue to be on recess.

My biggest problem with this off the record meeting is the lack of integrity by media in reporting the content of this meeting. Why do we know what went on in this meeting verses say Clinton's or Obama's off the record meetings? Could it be that some of the media are indeed the liars Trump accused them of being. Their word is meaningless.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 8:33 pm
Squishy wrote:
I agree media access is important for all Americans. When did I ever say different? I said I didn't value a dishonest media.

Newspapers can be slanted. Indeed, I used to enjoy reading the same news from different perspectives. Once they become propaganda machines and report opinion as facts because they have a stated agenda, then I lose trust. Journalistic standards were suspended during this election and continue to be on recess.

My biggest problem with this off the record meeting is the lack of integrity by media in reporting the content of this meeting. Why do we know what went on in this meeting verses say Clinton's or Obama's off the record meetings? Could it be that some of the media are indeed the liars Trump accused them of being. Their word is meaningless.

Can you post a link to reports of the substantive content of the meeting? I haven't been able to find it. I've found reports that Trump said something like, ‘We’re in a room of liars, the deceitful dishonest media who got it all wrong," called the media "dishonest, deceitful liars, and said everyone at CNN was a "liar," and that CNN was a "network of liars." I don't consider that substantive content. For example, we know that ‘How do you propose we the media work with you?’ and "How are you going to cope living in DC while your family is in NYC?" were both asked; we've no idea what the answer is. Or at least I don't. Perhaps you've seen reports that I have not.

Of course, the term "off the record" was used incorrectly here, in any case. It usually means that the information cannot be attributed to the source. It doesn't mean that it cannot be reported upon. Here, clearly the meeting was with Trump.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 8:33 pm
Squishy wrote:

First of all I did not say that you didn't value media access. I specifically said that I did. That's a simple statement I made about myself, not you.

What would you change about the current way press pools are organized, picked and structured?

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 8:51 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
First of all I did not say that you didn't value media access. I specifically said that I did. That's a simple statement I made about myself, not you.

What would you change about the current way press pools are organized, picked and structured?

You said we agree to disagree and that you value media access. The plain meaning is that is what we are disagreeing on.

My problem isn't with press pools; although, I don't believe we need the constant body access. My problem is with the suspension of journalistic standards and the resultant lack of trust in the media. This is my grief with this election.

Do you think the media was unbiased in reporting this election? Does any part of you mourn for a time when opinion and news were clearly differentiated and only fringe publications behaved the way the mainstream media is behaving?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 8:59 pm
Squishy wrote:
You said we agree to disagree and that you value media access. The plain meaning is that is what we are disagreeing on.

My problem isn't with press pools; although, I don't believe we need the constant body access. My problem is with the suspension of journalistic standards and the resultant lack of trust in the media. This is my grief with this election.

Do you think the media was unbiased in reporting this election? Does any part of you mourn for a time when opinion and news were clearly differentiated and only fringe publications behaved the way the mainstream media is behaving?

Personally I don't believe any media is unbiased. That's why I read from a variety of sources prior to forming my own opinions.

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 9:06 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Personally I don't believe any media is unbiased. That's why I read from a variety of sources prior to forming my own opinions.

I agree the media is biased as we all are. Bias is not synonymous with dishonest. My beef and subsequent questions to you are concerned with the worsening dishonesty of the media. Do you feel a loss? Does the current lack of journalist standards bother you?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 9:23 pm
Squishy wrote:
I agree the media is biased as we all are. Bias is not synonymous with dishonest. My beef and subsequent questions to you are concerned with the worsening dishonesty of the media. Do you feel a loss? Does the current lack of journalist standards bother you?

I'd love to go back in time to the journalism of Woodward and Bernstein or Cronkite, Murrow or Halberstein, that isn't going to happen. People need to learn how to drill down when they are reading a news story and be responsible for their own fact checking. I feel no loss, the current state of media isn't something I'll get emotional or lose sleep over. It is what it is.

sushilover

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 8:57 am
ectomorph wrote:
What do you think of it?

I don't like to see a president elect acting in such a manner.

Then again, I think Trump is choosing his battles wisely.

Lashing out against Hamilton- the average American is sick and tired of being preached at by celebrities.
Lashing out against SNL - they have alienated half of their audience with mostly one sided mockery.
Lashing out against the media- http://slatestarcodex.com/2016.....wolf/ ("The only people who will think Trump is a racist going forward are people who haven’t read this article. If you find someone like that, send them the link. This piece is a brilliant service to the country. Breathtaking."- Scott Adams) They kind of deserve it....
(And let's not forget how Obama whined whenever the media didn't worship the ground he walked on)

He gets to look like the tough guy, media seems shrill when they get hysterical about his petty fights, and Americans get so desensitized to this kind of thing that it won't make a difference when the media gets hysterical about something that actually matters.
So while I think he's acting immature and un-presidential (Trump!? Un-presidential?? Shocker.) , I also think the media got the president they deserve.

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 9:19 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
I'd love to go back in time to the journalism of Woodward and Bernstein or Cronkite, Murrow or Halberstein, that isn't going to happen. People need to learn how to drill down when they are reading a news story and be responsible for their own fact checking. I feel no loss, the current state of media isn't something I'll get emotional or lose sleep over. It is what it is.

This is so sad. I am surprised no one joins me in my outrage. Young adults do not have the experience to "drill down". They were brought up on TV and internet sound bites. The children of the sixties could see through the establishment.

Why should I have to read European newspapers to get a balanced view what is going on in my country? The only poll I trusted was the LA Times. All the polls in 1948 predicted Dewey would be president by a landslide. Who?

Most of the press is marginalizing themselves. We should not be going back to the way things were.

"There is no such thing, at this date of the world's history, in America, as an independent press. You know it and I know it."

John Swinton 1880
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics