Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Anyone else use plastic crock pot liners?
1  2  Next

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 6:25 am
I use them but I wonder if they're safe... Most expert say not to heat food in plastic in the micowave - so are these liners specially made for heating food?

Garden

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 6:46 am
Sure, I use them every week for my cholent. It is great!

happyone

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 6:47 am
I use them and find them really great!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 6:58 am
I use them in my rice steamer. yay!

Purplehair

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 7:08 am
I use them whenever I make cholent for Shabbos or whenever I use the crockpot during the weekdays for whatever. I find that they are fantastic and make cleanup a breeze! Make sure to follow the instructions as to how much water to put into the crockpot before inserting the liner so that they don't melt over Shabbos! Very Happy

su7kids

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 8:37 am
they're not plastic like you're thinking plastic. They are specially made for food and to withstand heat. The same company makes turkey and chicken and meat bags to cook in the oven with, and its awesome, it keeps the juices in and cuts down on the mess.

madys

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 10:49 am
I always used the liners and loved them, until one shabbos I ran out, so I made the chullent without - the family couldn't stop gushing over how good the chullent was that week, and they made me promise not to use them again.....

Now I've got to use good old elbow grease every Sat night!! But it's worth it to see everyone eating!

btw, I started sparying the pot with PAM before putting anything in,a nd it does make clean up a bit easier.....

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 10:51 am
OK - great to know the plastic is more safe for heating food in - thnx ladies.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 12:03 pm
my husband is a neat freak and he can't stand the smell of cholent in a house shabbos afternoon when he wakes up from his nap. So he insists that we use the plastic insert, and then right after the meal he throws out the cholent along with the garbage.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 2:17 pm
amother, maybe you'd be better off making something else.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 3:20 pm
I don't make the cholent my husband does. He likes cholent just only on shabbos and that's it. He would never not want to have cholent, he is into having all of the typical heimishe foods. He is just very clean and needs his house to smell fresh and clean at all times. Don't worry, it is good for me, before I finish eating he is already cleaning up.

PinkandYellow

Post Sat, Sep 01 2007, 11:03 am
I used to but no matter what I did with adding water and putting something bet the pot and crockpot, the plastic almost always burnt and so I started just making it in an alum pan in the oven.

suomynona

Post Sat, Sep 01 2007, 12:41 pm
I use them.
What a pleasure!

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Sat, Sep 01 2007, 7:24 pm
MDM, mine sometimes melt, too. So is some of that plastic/petrochemicals leaching into our food? That's what I really want to know.

farklamt

Post Fri, Sep 07 2007, 11:04 am
if you buy reynolds brand they never melt and there is no worries of where and how much to put water in. put the bag in and cook!

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Sep 07 2007, 12:46 pm
re. amother with the neatfreak dh. I have a mini crockpot, it's enough for a family of 4 (at least) if you're having other food to. I've used it for 6 or 8 adults, b/c people only want a little bit. Get a mini crockpot - it only holds a quart which is enough to eat, but def. less to throw out!

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 9:14 pm
I don't like the way the cholent comes out when I use the bags---and for some reason, the bags usually burn while the cholent is watery. Yuck.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 9:27 pm
I love them, although I've found the reynolds brand to leave a weird taste.

Only using the bags do I a)get my cholent to be the right consistency and b)have a clean crockpot before Wednesday night.

Tila

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 9:43 am
dunno, but that is a good question!! I use them too, and then freeze the leftover cholent in the bag in a container that is the same shape as cholent pot. use it when its just us.

mbk

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 5:34 pm
Hi.. I was wondering if any of you would use a crockpot (supposedly the best- magic mill crockpot) that has most of the teflon or whatever its coated with rubbed off. I wiped it down several times with a dry paper towel and the paper towel was black every time, so im assuming that the teflon is coming off. is this safe? I know there was controversy about teflon leeching into cookware, and im pregnant ..so just trying to be extra careful! what would you do?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus