Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Which kind of job is well paying??
1  2  3  Next

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 10:34 pm
As in more than $35 an hour.. Most offices don't pay that well. Or at least I think so. Any suggestions? I'm willing to learn something new. No degree so far. What courses or degrees are there to take for a well paying job?

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 10:41 pm
Now that's a broad question.

Doctor? Lawyer? Electrician? Makeup artist?

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 11:00 pm
I'm a heimishe chassidishe veibel and want to enable my husband to continue with his learning. Kah with a growing family it's not easy to work all day. Therefore I'm looking for a job that will be more pay per hour so that I can work less hours than I currently am. No I won't be a doctor or nurse nor electrician.. Just not done in our circles Wink

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 11:02 pm
Getting your CPA would enable you to get such a job and you may even be able to work from
Home.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 11:06 pm
How Much is schooling and how long does it take on average to complete?

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 11:12 pm
Touro has a great program- you would have to see what financial aid you are eligible for and what type of scholarship you can get. Their schedule is also really flexible for a mother. Do you have any credits already? That's makes a difference on how long it would take to complete.

salt

Post Mon, Nov 21 2016, 11:19 pm
Software engineer (ie. computer programmer) - you can either do a degree, or there are probably year-long courses. Hard to get your first job though, without experience. But the jobs are high paying.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:20 am
amother wrote:
Touro has a great program- you would have to see what financial aid you are eligible for and what type of scholarship you can get. Their schedule is also really flexible for a mother. Do you have any credits already? That's makes a difference on how long it would take to complete.

How much does a CPA get paid?

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 5:59 am
I dont mean to throw cold water over your plan but I don't think you are being realistic.

Unless you start a successful business you are going to have to go to school and probably for a long time in order to make a lot of money. You will also need to put in a lot of time into your job before you can go part time.

You say your husband is learning and you have a growing family. Do you realize how much effort you will need to put into schooling to get done in a reasonable timeframe?

A CPA requires 150 credits of college and while it is not the hardest degree out there, it is not a walk in the park. It will require a fair amount of work and time.once you finish those 150 credits which will take at minimum 4-5 years of full time school you will need to spend at least a year taking a really difficult exam with many parts and each part takes a couple months to study for. Some say the CPA exam is harder than the Bar. once you are a CPA, the real money is in the large accounting firms and you will need to put in 40 hours a week off season and 60-70 hours a week during busy season which coincides with Pesach.

It is a horrible career choice for a chassidish woman with a large family.

A nurse is 4 years of very hard schooling and then you will have lots of options. You don't have to work in a hospital (hospital shifts are grueling and you have very little flexibility regarding missing shifts etc) although a hospital is the most lucrative. If you want real money in Nursing, you will need to become a Nurse Practitioner which is an additional 2-3 years of schooling.

a therapist is a flexible job where you can work in the schools and make your own schedule and the money is decent. It requires a masters degree which is 5-6 years total

a computer programmer or software engineer is only 4 years of school but you need to have a knack for it and the program is hard.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:01 am
amother wrote:
How much does a CPA get paid?

starting salaries in NY for a CPA are probably in the mid 60s plus benefits.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:31 am
I think op realizes it won't be easy, but she is willing to put in the work. If it was easy, we would all be doing these jobs and making good money Wink
If you want a high salary, you need to work hard and use your brains.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:32 am
There aren't too many jobs where you can work part time or with flexibility and make over $35\hr.
Therapists can - OT, PT, speech. and CPAs - but you have to really put in lots of hours in the beginning to get to the larger salaries. I don't think getting a CPA is so difficult. You can get a BA from one of the frum programs in 1 - 2 years. And then study really hard for the tests. I know some very smart women who have done this and succeeded. But hours and work is hard.
Some people are really, really good at Quick Books and are hired at a cheaper rate than an accountant to do the books, and if they are really good they get paid nicely.

I"m a software engineer (OOT so my salary is lower than it would be in NY). I make about $43\hr + paid vacation + benefits (health, $1200 comes off my paycheck every month toward that, 401K match, again I take off my salary to get matched). But the hours are hard with a large family. I work about 32+ hours a week - with some flexibility - from home. Deadlines are hard and can fall out around eruv pesach, requiring 11 hour days. It sounds wonderful but working at 3:30 on short Fridays and trying to fix a down production line at a customer site with 5 kids home and shabbos starting any minute is really tough.

You can do freelance or contracting work and make a lot more and have more flexibility but you have to be really good, get the jobs, and may have down time between jobs.

I"m curious how much other computer programmers make who have some amount of flexibility. I always hear how it is a high paying job, and I'm not so sure, my non-college educated husband makes about the same as me, if not more - with tons of flexibility.

cnc

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:40 am
causemommysaid wrote:
I dont mean to throw cold water over your plan but I don't think you are being realistic.

Unless you start a successful business you are going to have to go to school and probably for a long time in order to make a lot of money. You will also need to put in a lot of time into your job before you can go part time.

You say your husband is learning and you have a growing family. Do you realize how much effort you will need to put into schooling to get done in a reasonable timeframe?

A CPA requires 150 credits of college and while it is not the hardest degree out there, it is not a walk in the park. It will require a fair amount of work and time.once you finish those 150 credits which will take at minimum 4-5 years of full time school you will need to spend at least a year taking a really difficult exam with many parts and each part takes a couple months to study for. Some say the CPA exam is harder than the Bar. once you are a CPA, the real money is in the large accounting firms and you will need to put in 40 hours a week off season and 60-70 hours a week during busy season which coincides with Pesach.

It is a horrible career choice for a chassidish woman with a large family.

A nurse is 4 years of very hard schooling and then you will have lots of options. You don't have to work in a hospital (hospital shifts are grueling and you have very little flexibility regarding missing shifts etc) although a hospital is the most lucrative. If you want real money in Nursing, you will need to become a Nurse Practitioner which is an additional 2-3 years of schooling.

a therapist is a flexible job where you can work in the schools and make your own schedule and the money is decent. It requires a masters degree which is 5-6 years total

a computer programmer or software engineer is only 4 years of school but you need to have a knack for it and the program is hard.

I would actually say that for a woman in her position CPA makes a lot more sense than the other jobs listed here.

CPA has lots of flexibility- yes there is one crazy season that coincides with pesach but it's still very doable if you plan in advance.

Nursing is lots of schooling for an NP and it's pretty difficult to find flexible jobs.

There are an over abundance of therapists - and if you want to be very flexible with your hours you'll probably have even a lesser chance of getting cases. The pay is not at all that great after taxes and agency cuts.

(It also depends what type of brain she has- some would say OT school is 1000 times harder than accounting !)

My information above is all assuming that the OP lives in the tristate area... if she doesn't , pay and job availability may be different than what I posted .

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 7:16 am
OP, this is going to be an unpopular post.
You want a job thats family friendly, less hours than what you have now (please share what that is), and you have no degree yet. Its great that you want to learn! I went back to finish my degree and after 2 years of college (night/online), 3/4 courses a semester, while working a full time and sunday job, I got the degree and pay raise. Its very doable.

But you want to have your cake and eat it too it seems. You want a job thats acceptable in the chassidish circles. CPA is not one of those. You want to earn a lot per hour, which will require education and planning typically. Forgive me, but when someone suggested CPA, you asked what the salary is. If you are seriously looking for a career, start Googling. Do research. Nothing will come without you doing your part. Speak with a career counselor to see whats an optiom for you. Go to a job fair - there are often frum ones in NY. Speak to real people in the real world who are in your shoes.

Other than opening a gan in your home, jobs that pay $35/hour with fewer hours take more than a course or two. Schooling is a real time commitment. Its worth it! But keep in mind that you may have to broaden what you are willing to do as a job and toss community standards aside.

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 7:20 am
OP, if getting a well paying job was very simple and straightforward, we would all have one!

It's really not so simple. To finish school while raising a family is really hard, to start a business of your own is a risk....

Well, good luck.

lora

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 7:26 am
well if its "You" a therapist is a well paying job or life coach, nutritionist?

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 7:28 am
I'm currently working in an office doing secretarial work.. What's normal to get paid in boro park per hour, I'm working 6 hours a day and work every day of the week besides sunday

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 7:30 am
amother wrote:
I'm currently working in an office doing secretarial work.. What's normal to get paid in boro park per hour, I'm working 6 hours a day and work every day of the week besides sunday

Are you willing to research yourself? Its almost strange that you seem to want it all easy. And you are goving zero information. How long have you been with the company, is it a Jewish company, what kind of experience do you have otherwise.

Last edited by watergirl on Tue, Nov 22 2016, 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total

besty

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 7:30 am
depends how many years you work there...

besty

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 7:31 am
lora wrote:
well if its "You" a therapist is a well paying job or life coach, nutritionist?

this but all of them also need some kind of schooling........
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics