Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Who is your favorite Jewish author?
1  2  3  Next

ibelongtosomebody

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 10:58 am
I'll start.
Yael Mermelstein
Etka Gittel Schwartz

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 11:00 am
Peri Berger

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 11:03 am
My favorite Jewish book growing up was The Exiles of Crocodile Island by Henye Meyer. As a teen, I loved Sun Inside Rain by M Bassara.

I don't know though if that makes the writers my favorite authors, because they have not written many other books.

I don't know if I have a favorite Jewish author. With everyone else, I like some of their writing and others less so.

qwerty4

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 11:04 am
Etka Gittel's historical fiction
Riva Pomerantz
Avner Gold series
And Sun inside rain was a favorite for me too!
probably lots of others I cant think of now.

water_bear88

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 11:11 am
If we can include children's literature, Yaffa Ganz.

leah233

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 11:11 am
From those who are still writing today it would be between Sara Wiederblank and Dov Haller

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 11:13 am
There's a series I really enjoyed - Wildflower, Cactus Blossoms, etc...by Rachel Pomerantz that is very well written. I enjoyed the series very much.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 12:25 pm
Chayalle wrote:
My favorite Jewish book growing up was The Exiles of Crocodile Island by Henye Meyer. As a teen, I loved Sun Inside Rain by M Bassara.

Those were also 2 of my favorite books.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 12:26 pm
Chayalle wrote:
There's a series I really enjoyed - Wildflower, Cactus Blossoms, etc...by Rachel Pomerantz that is very well written. I enjoyed the series very much.

I agree. If I were to choose a single favorite author it would be Rachel Pomerantz.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 12:40 pm
Isn't her name RIVA Pomeranz?

Marcus Lehman.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 12:41 pm
Iymnok wrote:

Marcus Lehman.

There are 2 different authors: Rachel Pomerantz who wrote the books listed by Chayalle and Riva Pomerantz.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 12:50 pm
Iymnok wrote:

There's Rachel Pomerantz, and then there's Riva Pomerantz. They are two different authors.

I loved Rachel Pomerantz's A Time to Rend, A Time to Sew, and her books with Barbara and Aviva...

I also really liked Sun Inside Rain by M. Bassara. One of the most incredible things about the book - besides the plot, character development and themes - was how she was able to build up such a subtle and powerful romance in a "frum" kind of way.

As a child, I loved Ruth Benjamin's books - On a Golden Chain, Yesterday's Child, and a few other ones...

I like Sarah Birnhack's books - actually, I think she's the only frum author where I enjoyed all her books. Search my heart, Family secrets, One day and forever... were there any more?

I'm sure there are others but I haven't read any frum fiction in a while...
I don't really have any favorite frum authors, but I do have some favorite frum books I really like....

As long as the title is Jewish - I loved Shulem Deen's Those who go do not return. It was brilliant, so moving and so nuanced. I got swept up in it for days...

zohar

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 12:55 pm
Marcus Lehman

debsey

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 1:39 pm
Rachel Pomerantz (A Time To Rend, a Time To Sew, Wildflower, etc.) IMHO, she's in a whole 'nother realm of excellence from Riva Pomerantz. It's serious novel vs. soap opera.

Sara Widerblank

I agree with everyone else here - I loved Sun Inside Rain. Her next book (which was for teens) wasn't up to the same standard.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:

I like Sarah Birnhack's books - actually, I think she's the only frum author where I enjoyed all her books. Search my heart, Family secrets, One day and forever... were there any more?

Years ago she wrote a children's book called Happy is the Heart. I don't know if it's still in print. I don't remember what it was about but I do recall enjoying it, when I was like 8 years old or so.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 1:50 pm
M. Kenan. I love The Betrayal. And The Outcast is even better! I really hope there will be a third.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 1:54 pm
amother wrote:
M. Kenan. I love The Betrayal. And The Outcast is even better! I really hope there will be a third.

Yes those were a great read! Though I feel like there are sort of parts that don't quite jive from one to the other...still was pretty good.

debsey

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 1:55 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Years ago she wrote a children's book called Happy is the Heart. I don't know if it's still in print. I don't remember what it was about but I do recall enjoying it, when I was like 8 years old or so.

OMG - have not thought about that book for years. I LOVED it when I was a little kid. Is it still in print? Does anyone know?

animeme

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 1:58 pm
Another nod to Avner Gold. His Pulichever series and all the outcroppings taught me a lot about Jewish history, while still being completely gripping.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 1:59 pm
Chayalle wrote:

Yes, you're right! Red cover, a girl named Miri and a BY convention somewhere in the plot... I remember I loved that book as a kid.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room