Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Play date vent

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 11:43 am
my dd is having a playdate right now and I just need to vent. I hate play dates. She prefers having them at our house because our house is more fun which I'm happy about but I hate them. I just don't have patience for other people's kids. I took away something "fun" because I needed a break from the noise. When her friend came she asked about it and I told her that it's taking a break. She told my daughter they should say ewy stinky mommy. My dd is still young enough that she told me without actually saying it herself but seriously?!?!? Other things happened as well. It's not just one kid either. I count down the minutes until the playdate is over.
vent over.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 11:47 am
I hear you. I also can't stand other people's kids. Unfortunately, my oldest has weak social skills, so I have to force myself to tolerate play dates because he really does need them. No advice, just commiseration.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 12:07 pm
I would like to sympathize with you, OP, but honestly, it sounds like you should try to schedule playdates in your house at a time when you can allow them their fun and noise. It comes with the territory of raising kids - having times where you put up with their games and their noise, and you grit your teeth and do your best to handle it.

If another child is telling your child to be rude to you during a playdate, next time invite someone else.

I remember when my oldest DD was 5, she invited a friend, we'll call her Sara, for a playdate. Sara came and was too boisterous for our household, and moreover, she told DD "let's pinch your younger sister" and stuff like that. I was totally turned off and we did not invite Sara again.

Fast forward a few years, and Sara's family moved to our neighborhood when DD was 10. I was dreading it, remembering how badly that went a few years before...well, they moved, and Sara became one of DD's best friends. She had grown up in the interim and become a delightful young lady, with beautiful middos and a wonderful disposition.

Lasy year Sara's family moved once again. We miss them terribly.

Kids grow up. Too fast.

Learning

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 12:58 pm
Can you hire a teenager to babysit while the plaudits is on. The babysitter can actually play with the if you get a girl who is good with kids. You can say to you are busy or just go shopping.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 3:38 pm
op here. ok vent over. I'm feeling better. We've actually had this girl over before and the play date went well previously so I'm hoping she was just having a bad day but oh my! I'll probably let her come again and see how it goes. These scenarios always make me grateful for my daughter though so I guess there's an upside Wink

chayalle- I'm curious, do you think everything in the house has to be fair game on a playdate? Let's say this was a loud doll (it's not) and I decided to put it away for a few days- would I have to take back out it because my daughter was having a play date? I didn't tell them they had to be quiet, I just didn't take out something she wanted.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics