Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How Long Do You Expect a Winter Coat To Last?
Previous  1  2

saw50st8

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 12:50 pm
debsey wrote:
I passionately adore LandsEnd and their policy of standing by their stuff! My big boys are all past their LandsEnd days (over bar mitzvah means we're wearing suits, white shirts, and yeshiva-bochur coats) but all their stuff has been passed down to the younger set and still is in perfect condition. I have pants and flannel shirts that made it through 4 boys and are waiting for #5.

However, with teenage girls, they tend to prefer a less athletic look than what Lands End has to offer in their "puffer" style coats. My daughter pointed out a girl wearing a coat that she "loves" and she wanted a similar one. I googled it. It's a Moncler coat. On sale at Nordstrom, it's 1,180.00. Of course, my daughter nearly fainted when she saw the price and immediately said she no longer wants it. Thankfully, the Nordstrom page gave us "similar" options, and we found a coat for 120.00 that's also a shiny, tailored puffer in a nice color. Hopefully, this coat will last longer than 5 minutes.

$1,120 is a bargain LOL

Nordstrom stands behind their products also. It definitely pays to buy big(ger) ticket items there.

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:54 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
$1,120 is a bargain LOL

Nordstrom stands behind their products also. It definitely pays to buy big(ger) ticket items there.

I think she purchased a different coat for 120. (not 1,120)

debsey

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:57 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
$1,120 is a bargain LOL

120.00 - there is no way on EARTH that I'd spend over 1,000.00 on a coat!

saw50st8

Post Thu, Nov 24 2016, 6:13 am
debsey wrote:
120.00 - there is no way on EARTH that I'd spend over 1,000.00 on a coat!

Tongue in cheek Wink Most wealthy people I know wouldn't even spend that!

debsey

Post Thu, Nov 24 2016, 2:56 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Tongue in cheek Wink Most wealthy people I know wouldn't even spend that!

I kind of wonder about that. I mean, who goes onto Nordstrom and says "Hey, this Moncler coat is 1,180.00, reduced from 1,400.00. OK , NOW it is in my price range!" Like what's the point of the sale? It's still not exactly a bargain.

To her credit, DD said - I'd be embarrassed to walk around in that coat. I'd feel like everyone is looking at me and thinking "where are her priorities? what could she be thinking?"

Post Thu, Nov 24 2016, 3:15 pm
debsey wrote:
I kind of wonder about that. I mean, who goes onto Nordstrom and says "Hey, this Moncler coat is 1,180.00, reduced from 1,400.00. OK , NOW it is in my price range!" Like what's the point of the sale? It's still not exactly a bargain.

To her credit, DD said - I'd be embarrassed to walk around in that coat. I'd feel like everyone is looking at me and thinking "where are her priorities? what could she be thinking?"

The point of the sale is to make the customer feel like they are getting a good value. The consumer feels smart. They saved $320. Why do some goods have MSRPs that are fictitious? Consumers feel good they are getting a deal. Why do some luxury car buyers feel the need to negotiate for floor mats? Same reason. They feel smart they got $500 mats for free. If you can afford a six figure car, for mats really aren't an issue.

debsey

Post Thu, Nov 24 2016, 4:20 pm
Squishy wrote:
The point of the sale is to make the customer feel like they are getting a good value. The consumer feels smart. They saved $320. Why do some goods have MSRPs that are fictitious? Consumers feel good they are getting a deal. Why do some luxury car buyers feel the need to negotiate for floor mats? Same reason. They feel smart they got $500 mats for free. If you can afford a six figure car, for mats really aren't an issue.

I hear you. I just didn't realize that logic applies when you're talking insane amounts of money for a teenager's coat!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics