Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Any other social workers on here?
1  2  Next

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 3:39 pm
I have a degree in Social work. I worked very hard to attain it and study for my exam. forward to some time later and I still cant get a clinical job as everyone says I have little experience and they want more experience but no one will give it to me. classic catch 22!
anyways, I am wondering.... aside from case management, what else can one do with a social work degree?

BrachaC

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:08 pm
I am a social worker. I work as the program director for a treatment foster care program. TFC is an interesting place to start, because it is a clinical role, but not a "classic" therapist position. I do hold a clinical license, I took a little extra time to account for a percentage of my work being case management. I did take a part time position at one point doing fee for service therapy. The clients were all insured through MA and the no-show rate for intakes was insane! I lost patience with making endless plans for my family for the clients to not show up.

If you are really interested in being a "classic" therapist then I recommend working somewhere with straightforward access- like doing home visits with geriatrics or an in-school contractor. Those pieces really can cut down on your no-show rate.

What kind of settings were your internships?

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:39 pm
I can't get to a clinical license because of my catch 22. I had to go into public housing which I did not like and as for internships- didnt get me very far in terms of getting a job Sad
I cant get into schools, tried already.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:47 pm
Lime, you didn't answer : where were your internships? If you tell us the kind of work you did, we may have suggestions. What about the placement office in your program? I'm not sure what you meant about public housing . Did you quit a job because you didn't like it?

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:54 pm
Try public hospitals. They are often more willing to take you on without the experience, if you're willing to do the difficult hours. Know that unless you're in a school, at your level, you will start with bad hours with a population that isn't your choice. That's how you get those first couple years of experience you need to get your next level license.

I also agree to contact your school's placement counselor. They're used to hearing from people years after they graduate.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:58 pm
Try Head Start. They have a home visiting program as well as other opportunities for Social Workers. They don't mind the lack of experience

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 5:10 pm
Where are you located?

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 5:24 pm
one at an early childhood place, and one inpatient psych unit.
I asked my school they don't really offer much in terms of help getting job.

I had a job briefly going into public housing AKA projects but it wasn't for me.
yes, I tried public and private hospitals but neither worked Sad

I'm in NY

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 5:26 pm
I meant what area. I know a place looking to hire.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 5:54 pm
five towns. I tried the big clinics already. which place is it?

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 5:54 pm
Lakewood area.. Sorry

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 5:57 pm
Social worker here! I've always been more macro focused. I started in policy and now manage a large government supported program focusing on serving the homeless. I don't work directly with clients; I administer the grant and provide supervision to 30 people who work with clients. I've always worked for nonprofits.

Edited to add I have a MSW. I couldn't find anything with a BSW.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 5:58 pm
Hospitals have great salaries and benefits. Been in hospital social work my entire career, happily

animeme

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:00 pm
Doesn't the frum community in Long Island have a job initiative that helps people who are out of work? I can't think of the name. But they may have contacts you can use, or refer you to a mentor in your community.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:00 pm
I wouldn't mind hospital as much.... but they're very hard to get into and I interned at one Wink

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:02 pm
which org is this?

animeme

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:10 pm
I think Achiezer used to do this at one point- not sure if they still do. But I might be wrong.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:12 pm
amother wrote:
I wouldn't mind hospital as much.... but they're very hard to get into and I interned at one Wink

The one you interned at would be a perfect place! Hospitals love to hire their own interns. Have you applied there?

tooperfect

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:20 pm
You might be able to get a clinical job with new horizon counseling center. They have lots of locations around far rockaway

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:30 pm
the one I interned in isn't hiring and is far from me. Was a long commute but had no choice then.
I tried NHCC as well as ohel, jbfcs etc
achiezer doesn't help you get a job. they just do resume help which I don't need.

So.... what else can I do with my degree?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics