Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Expensive clothing that is non-returnable

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:19 pm
Would you buy an expensive item of clothing without trying it on first, if it's non-returnable?

Debsey's post got me thinking. She bought a $200 coat on Gap, not realizing that it was final sale and non-returnable. As it turns out, the coat did not hold up, and gap will not take it back.

I've noticed sites that sell clothes that are non-returnable. Zulily comes to mind. If the item is the wrong size, you are stuck. If it's garbage, you are stuck.

Personally, I won't shop at such sites, unless the cost is so negligible that I'll take the risk. I've bought velour stretchies as baby gifts from Zulily, because they were inexpensive and I figured the babies would eventually fit it if I get 3-6 months. But I wouldn't buy myself a shirt there, because I'll be stuck if it doesn't fit.

Now that I know that Gap won't take defective clearance items back, I'll be careful not to buy their clearance items unless I'm okay with cutting my losses on that item.

flmommy

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:26 pm
Yes same as you exactly in theory but I have been "tricked" by not reading the fine print in occasion.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:27 pm
I won't either buy non returnable (if I realize it's not returnable) items without trying them on first, unless I am ready to risk the entire purchase price aka cost is negligible and I go into the purchase understanding the risks. For example, I was once looking for a particular item and could only find it from a Chinese site. The total cost was $25 and I knew that I was risking it all since I wouldn't spend the money to ship it back to China if I didn't like how it fit. My kids have a great new edition to their dress up box now LOL
I'm so shocked to hear about gap's new policy! That totally changes the way I will shop.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:53 pm
I don't buy unreturnable anything online (unless it's a double of what I have, and I know it'll be good). Although sometimes I'm tempted by cheap prices, I order, and then I regret it.

cnc

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:38 pm
FYI-I know people that have gotten things from Zulily that were not tts and they called up Zulily and they were given a credit.

debsey

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 7:02 pm
cnc wrote:
FYI-I know people that have gotten things from Zulily that were not tts and they called up Zulily and they were given a credit.

Zulily will only refund if it's legitimately defective. I guess if it's badly not tts, zulily will refund it.

I only buy things I already know well on zulily like UnderArmor bras or recently they had KitchenAid products and I wanted a duplicate of some that I already have. I mean, I'll buy a cheap t-shirt as well, because if I don't wear it to exercise in, my daughter can "yarshen" it. But that's about it.

doctorima

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 8:07 pm
I buy, but only on AmEx, which has a legit program called Return Protection in which they will refund your money if you buy something and don't like it for ANY reason, and it can't be returned. I believe it's up to $300 per item, up to $1000 per year (per AmEx card!). And it really works!

cnc

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 8:28 pm
doctorima wrote:
I buy, but only on AmEx, which has a legit program called Return Protection in which they will refund your money if you buy something and don't like it for ANY reason, and it can't be returned. I believe it's up to $300 per item, up to $1000 per year (per AmEx card!). And it really works!

I did this twice. You need to be prepared to actually return the item to Amex (they reimburse you for shipping costs). Both times though they told me to just keep the item.

doctorima

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 9:25 pm
Yes, I know that you must be prepared to return the item (though the whole assumption here is that it doesn't fit or you don't like it, so that shouldn't be an issue), but practically speaking, I've never once been asked to return the item, and I've done it far more than twice!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics