Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Camp Kolos

emaTO4

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:19 pm
I'm new to sending a daughter away to camp, but would find any information helpful, but specifically:
Ideally, I would like to talk to someone whose daughter has gone there.

I want to know if it is mostly Lakewood/ Brooklyn girls.
What makes it fun?
What are the condition of the bunkhouses and camp in general?
Do they do real sports (volleyball, softball) or typical girly camp (kickball , trench)
What are the girls like?
Do you have to be worried about what your daughter might be exposed to …?
Who would you say does best there?

Any other questions that you can think of…

emaTO4

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 6:23 am
Bump

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 6:25 am
I have nieces who go to Camp Kolos from Lakewood. I know that they love it, but I don't know much else. It's far out in the Poconos, not in the Catskills near other camps. I think the first season they had "growing pains" re: conditions (showers, etc...) but things smooothed out more after that.

The staff were mostly formerly with Camp Shira, so lots of former Shira-niks transitioned to Kolos (including my nieces). I think the type is similar.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 8:40 am
My daughter went to Kolos last year and absolutely LOVED it. There was a really nice mix of girls from all over, even as far as LA. Definitely a large contingency from Lakewood/NY, but plenty of "out of town" girls as well, like her. My daughter made some great new friends and overall her bunkmates were really nice and not snobby. Yeshivish crowd and I was not at all worried about what she would be exposed to. They do have a lot of rules about tznius, no electronics, etc., which is what we were looking for.

The camp is in the Catskills - they rent the campus of Achim for the first half of the summer. They were in the Poconos temporarily after Shira burned down, but will be at the Achim campus this coming summer as they were last year. It's a bit run down (or "rustic" if you want it to sound better) but for us it was fine. Old bunkbeds and muddy dirt paths are part of the camp experience! There are air conditioning units and bathrooms with showers in each bunkhouse. Nice size pool and basketball courts.

Food wasn't great, but my daughter is a very picky eater so ask around what others think. She managed and is happily going back this year.

Her counselors were amazing - gave the girls lots of attention. I think the best part of camp was the ruach. Lots of singing, cheering and a relaxed atmosphere. Campers got to choose what activities they wanted and there are a lot of options.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 10:32 am
which staff from shirah continued to kolos?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics