Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Attending a conference over Shabbos

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 9:44 pm
I'm wondering if anyone else has ever been in this situation and if so how did you go about it. There is a conference in my profession that I really want to attend. It is a specialized field within the profession and it is only given twice this year, both taking place on a Friday-Saturday. It is held in a hotel so I would have no issues traveling on shabbos. I could probably work it out in advance that I would sign in friday for both days. Is there technically any problem in sitting in on a conference on shabbos? Obviously I wouldn't be able to take notes..but wondering if there is any issur in just attending, and if anyone here has ever done it, I'd be interested in hearing your experience. To clarify, there are no other conferences on this topic any other days and no option of obtaining a recording of the conference (which I already asked about).

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 10:08 pm
I know my father did this a few times. He was in the hotel anyway and would attend the lectures and not take notes or do anything mechallel Shabbos. I would not do it becaise there are other issues and my rav is more makpid. But the issue is not so clear cut either way.

debsey

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 10:09 pm
I don't want to pasken for you. Ask a shayla. I have done it, will probably have to do it again every so often. Here's some things you want to think about:

1) Room door locks - you can bring duct tape so the door doesn't automatically lock and use the chain lock instead. Otherwise, you are using electricity every time you open the door.

2) some hotels have super sensitive fire alarms. even lighting a little tea light will set it off. Experiment right when you get there. Or just light in the motel kitchen (tell them in advance)

3) If you plan on bringing along a crock pot and making chulent, ask the hotel first. I've gotten a knock on my door at 3 AM because someone smelled something "suspicious" and it was my crock pot!

4) If you are staying in the hotel where the conference is this won't be an issue. One time I went to a conference on a college campus and I had to walk across campus to the lectures, only to find that EVERY SINGLE DOOR on campus is electronic. And the bathrooms flush electronically! That was a very complicated day. Now I've learned to scope out the physical plant and plan accordingly (tell a non Jewish colleague that I have to walk with her, explain why, and have her step up to the door first so it opens for her, then I can follow in her footsteps. etc)

5) AYLOR about this but if you plan on raising your hand and asking a quesiton, keep in mind that many conference lectures are taped, and when you speak, the recorder may activate. Some rabbis are more lenient than others about this.

6) I found the emotional toll of "skipping" a shabbos, so to speak, to be really painful. So much so that the last time I went to a conference that was Thurs-Mon, I just plain did not attend the Saturday sessions, even though I spent a fortune and there was someone I really wanted to hear.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 10:16 pm
Thanks for your replies..debsey you bring up some interesting things to be aware of. Logistically I'd probably be able to figure things out..but the issue with the microphone is interesting and I think I'd be inclined to sit quietly in the back and be as under the radar as possible.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 1:29 am
I've done it. Didn't take notes. Lit candles outdoors once, another time I asked if there was a safe place for me to light.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics