Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you take a child to the dr the first day they have fever?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

anonymrs

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:49 am
Another thread got me thinking about this.

When my child has a fever and isn't complaining about anything in particular, I assume it's a virus. If it's not better after 2-3 days, I'll take the child to the doctor. Even when I've taken my kids after 2 days of fever, and I asked the doctor if it's ok to wait another day or two to give the antibiotics (for something like an ear infection, upper respiratory infection), I've always been told that it's fine.

Do people really go dashing off to the doctor at the first sign of elevated temp? Why? I'm really curious what the point is. Even if the child has an ear infection, isn't it better to give the child's body a chance to fight it on its own, without antibiotics?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:53 am
It depends on the child and what's going on. I can often tell (call it mother's intuition, plus the symptoms) whether it's something that can wait or if the child should be seen by a doctor.

For example, if I suspect strep I RUN to the doctor, or we'll all have it before you know it, plus it just gets worse....I can usually tell, because my kids tend to get higher fevers with strep, plus symptoms like stomache aches and pain swallowing.....

With ear infections, it also depends - my DD got a ruptured eardrum within hours of an ear infection brewing, so I would take her to the doctor right away for an ear infection.

harriet

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:54 am
I do the same thing as you unless I suspect strep

pesek zman

My 1 year old had tactile fever on Monday along with a cough I assumed it was a cold but did take her to ped to be sure. Better safe than sorry. Ears and throat were clear and it was confirmed to be just viral but I felt reassures going

5mom

Ah, winter cold season. Brings back memories.

Different kids, different ways of dealing. If the fever is accompanied by unusual symptoms, if the child has a history of going from a little sick to extremely ill in a very short time, if it's a tiny baby, if someone else in the house has been diagnosed with strep, then I would go to the pediatrician sooner rather than later.

In most cases, though, you're right. Rest and fluids and wait and see.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:56 am
Some people are just like that...they are either hypochondriacs or they think only doctors have the answers and they don't trust their own intelligence and experience. So even if they know that the past 10 times they called the doctor for a 100 degree fever the doctor told them they didn't need to come in, they'll keep calling every time...

sweetpotato

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:57 am
No, I don't. There is actually a very high threshold with fevers before you need to worry, both in temperature and duration. If there are no other concerning signs (extreme crankiness/pain, severe cough, not taking fluids, prolonged vomiting or diarrhea, etc.), I don't call the doctor at all, and just wait and see, giving Advil and fluids, etc. Both viruses and bacterial infections will typically resolve without treatment. Because of the known risks of overprescribing antibiotics, doctors are now much more circumspect about giving them, which I totally respect.

Edited to add: This is my practice, because my kids don't have other underlying concerns, like asthma. I totally understand that some kids need more active monitoring if they have a virus or bacterial infection.

Last edited by sweetpotato on Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

gp2.0

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:59 am
sweetpotato wrote:
No, I don't. There is actually a very high threshold with fevers before you need to worry, both in temperature and duration. If there are no other concerning signs (extreme crankiness/pain, severe cough, not taking fluids, prolonged vomiting or diarrhea, etc.), I don't call the doctor at all, and just wait and see, giving Advil and fluids, etc. Both viruses and bacterial infections will typically resolve without treatment. Because of the known risks of overprescribing antibiotics, doctors are now much more circumspect about giving them, which I totally respect.

ITA with this.

sourstix

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 11:04 am
I think for a child under the age of 5 months things should be checked more. They are young and it's a lot more dangerous.

lfab

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 11:07 am
Nope, unless it's for a very young infant (like say under 3 months) or they have other symptoms. So, if my child was complaining their throat hurt and they weren't eating/drinking as a result and I suspected strep I would take them. Or if they were complaining of an ear ache and in a lot of pain and I suspected an ear infection. Or if they were vomiting a lot, etc. For just a fever, no. I would wait until at least the 3rd day before calling the doctor.

chatz

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 11:12 am
No. Not for run of the mill colds, low fevers, etc.

If I suspect strep (and I have one child who was getting strep often), I'll just stop by the doctor's office for a culture. I call ahead of time, but I don't need an appointment or to see the doctor.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 12:12 pm
If the fever stays despite the meds/comes back a couple times, I go or call for a home visit yes!! especially under 3

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 12:16 pm
For a newborn of course I would go. For a 9 month old I would go if it was over 101. For a 1-3 yr old I would go if it was over 102.
Of course if the fever persisted for a few days I would go even if it's a low fever.

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 12:41 pm
A baby under 6 months, yes. 6mo to a year, depending on symptoms. With a toddler I'd definitely wait a day or 2, unless I suspect a strep. My 1& a half yr old dc was sick a few weeks ago. She complained about her stomach hurting, and when I asked her she said her throat and ears dont hurt; just her tummy. I stayed home from work with her, and didn't take her to the doc until the third day, but then went bec she still wasn't herself. Doc said its a virus, make sure she drinks and wait it out. Exactly what we'd been doing until then...

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 12:47 pm
no. and there are times I will call the doctor and discuss rather than rush to bring the child in.

miami85

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 1:05 pm
Depends if there are other symptoms. If it's an infection--and there are usually signs of an infection, then the sooner they get on antibiotics (with the exception of ear infections) then the sooner they get back to normal--and most importantly back to school.

If it's just a fever with non-descript viral symptoms, then I'd usually ride it out.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:53 pm
Having now seen the thread in question, I'm pretty sure people just jumped all over OP because she posted it as a natural parenting question. 🙄

I bet if she'd asked "my 4 year old has had fever for the past two days, should I take her in to the doctor or wait another day, and in the meantime what can I do to make her comfortable" the responses wouldn't have been so hysterical. 😕

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 3:27 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Having now seen the thread in question, I'm pretty sure people just jumped all over OP because she posted it as a natural parenting question. 🙄

I bet if she'd asked "my 4 year old has had fever for the past two days, should I take her in to the doctor or wait another day, and in the meantime what can I do to make her comfortable" the responses wouldn't have been so hysterical. 😕

I think you're right, that if she had phrased the question like you said she would have gotten normal responses.
But I think if she had said "my 4 year old has had fever for the past two days, should I take her in to the doctor or wait another day, and in the meantime what natural things can I do to make her comfortable?" She still would have gotten normal responses.

It's only because she made it sounds like she only wanted natural treatment, made no mention of going to the doctor initially, and was treating it not just as a fever but treating it as flu based on a self diagnosis (or based on a family member swinging a pendulum over her kid to diagnose??). This was not just about people jumping on someone seeking natural remedies.

gande

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 4:21 pm
I took my child to the doctor the first day today, although I wasn't planning to, and guess what she has strep!

To answer your question op, the fever is a sign that the body is having trouble fighting the ear infection or strep or bronchitis or whatever. So, these infrctions without fever, is better to wait but once the child develops fever over 100f it doesn't pay to take chances because the infection can become dangerous.

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 4:32 pm
I am generally quick to take to the pediatrician.

Why wait, that's my motto.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics