Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you take a child to the dr the first day they have fever?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
Your doctor's views probably have more to do with socialized medicine than anything else.

And tonsillitis is not the same thing as strep, which is a bacterial infection.

Tonsillitis just means, literally, "inflammation of the tonsils". It can be caused by strep or a whole host of other bacteria or viruses. The one we care about is strep because it can cause heart and kidney problems if not treated within 9 days from onset.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 6:38 pm
amother wrote:
Tonsillitis just means, literally, "inflammation of the tonsils". It can be caused by strep or a whole host of other bacteria or viruses. The one we care about is strep because it can cause heart and kidney problems if not treated within 9 days from onset.

Correct. How does this contradict what I wrote?

gp2.0

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 7:07 pm
gold21 wrote:
Have you ever had a young baby with a UTI?

Has your child ever had cellulitis?

I don't share personal information about my kids on the internet...

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 7:21 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I don't share personal information about my kids on the internet...

Neither do I, so I guess we won't be able to have a genuine conversation on the issues.

Anyway, yes, if a child has a fever and no viral symptoms, PLEASE see a doctor.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 7:23 pm
amother wrote:
Just to stick in my British 2 cents if I may. UTI's are very easily cured naturally if caught early enough. As for Strep throat, this is laughable over here. Even my own doctor agrees Americans are just making money off people for it. It's a hype. If you have a throat infection and look after yourself properly, antibiotics certainly shouldn't be needed.

My doctor explained when I asked him why us British people don't seem to get this terrible American disease called strep throat as follows: "You know that feeling where you feel feverish and it hurts to swallow and sometime white pus spots appear on the tonsils which lead to tonsillitis? That's what they call strep throat in the USA. Over here we suggest early signs of it should be treated with lemon, honey, ginger and hot water and taking strepsils if necessary. We call it a sore throat here and Antibiotics are a last resort if you haven't taken care of it early and it develops into full blown tonsillitis."

Anyway, in all my years on this earth and in all my years as a mother I've not had to treat tonsillitis with antibiotics so running to the doctor with a fever wouldn't be necessary. In answer to the fever question, fevers are the bodies way of detoxing toxins. We usually let fevers run its course and ensure the child is hydrated and wearing breathable clothes to sweat naturally and keep the child home and not over stimulate them for another 2 days following the fever. We don't attempt to supress fevers at all and only ever go to the doctor if the child is in pain or doesn't seem to be keeping down fluids, or if it is a young baby (which bh hasn't occured). In fact my 2 year old currently has an ear infection which has lasted over a week and still has pus oozing from it. But she never had a fever accompanying it or any pain so we waited a full week to check it out. We saw a locum doctor who advised us to let it run its course as long as she's comfortable and that's what we are doing! You may disagree with my methods but after a fever or illness which lasts from a day to 3 or 4, my kids normally pass a developmental milestone and are healthy again for another 6 months to a year.

But that's just my humble opinion on fevers (whom my wonderful doctor agrees with for those of you who may take to bashing my stance). Take it or leave it.
I know someone who has heart problems because of untreated strep throat.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 7:27 pm
gold21 wrote:
I am generally quick to take to the pediatrician.

Why wait, that's my motto.

Yep. As a first time mother, I went to the dr every time.
Now I go for child under 6 months (one time I was sure it was nothing and the doctor sent me straight to the emergency room)
I go right away if Tylenol doesn't work... That usually means the child is not doing well.
And I go if I feel the child isn't following a pattern. Like a cold that gets better than worse.

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 7:33 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Yep. As a first time mother, I went to the dr every time.
Now I go for child under 6 months (one time I was sure it was nothing and the doctor sent me straight to the emergency room)
I go right away if Tylenol doesn't work... That usually means the child is not doing well.
And I go if I feel the child isn't following a pattern. Like a cold that gets better than worse.

Sounds reasonable. Tongue Out

Im definitely not a first time mother btw Tongue Out

I'm a cautious person. That's my personality and my approach to life. I view the all-natural approach as risky and irresponsible.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 7:44 pm
gold21 wrote:
Neither do I, so I guess we won't be able to have a genuine conversation on the issues.

Anyway, yes, if a child has a fever and no viral symptoms, PLEASE see a doctor.

Here are the guidelines from the AAP. These are the guidelines I follow. Spoiler alert: they don't seem to think that fever without other symptoms that resolves within a couple days is anything to fuss about. Can you share a source for the bolded?

https://www.healthychildren.or......aspx

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 7:45 pm
gold21 wrote:
I am generally quick to take to the pediatrician.

Why wait, that's my motto.

Why wait? Cuz it's a $35 copay!!

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 7:56 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Here are the guidelines from the AAP. These are the guidelines I follow. Spoiler alert: they don't seem to think that fever without other symptoms that resolves within a couple days is anything to fuss about. Can you share a source for the bolded?

https://www.healthychildren.or......aspx

Do you follow the guidelines of the AAP across the board?

I'm not going to continue to argue with you, I don't agree with you and that's not changing. I hope my input helps someone else, who's debating about how to deal with a fever, decide to go to the doctor.

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 7:57 pm
amother wrote:
Why wait? Cuz it's a $35 copay!!

Sigh. Obamacare Sad

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 7:58 pm
gold21 wrote:
Sounds reasonable. Tongue Out

Im definitely not a first time mother btw Tongue Out

I'm a cautious person. That's my personality and my approach to life. I view the all-natural approach as risky and irresponsible.

just curious, have you looked into the negative side effects of overuse of antibiotics? I believe antibiotics have their place, but I don't run to the doctor for them frequently.

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 7:58 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
just curious, have you looked into the negative side effects of overuse of antibiotics? I believe antibiotics have their place, but I don't run to the doctor for them frequently.

I've done my research, yea.

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 8:17 pm
mummiedearest wrote:

This.
Even my doctor has this attitude. I don't see a point in running to the doctor if everything is fine but there's a slight fever. He usually says to just wait it out.

Now if you're talking about a fever of 103 degrees that's a different story...

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 8:22 pm
gold21 wrote:
I've done my research, yea.

how often do you think a kid can take antibiotics with no adverse effects?

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 8:24 pm
mummiedearest wrote:

Just pointing out, just because you go to the dr doesn't mean your kid is going to get antibiotics.

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 8:25 pm
mummiedearest wrote:

As often as the child needs antibiotics. When antibiotics are needed, I give antibiotics.

gande

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 8:27 pm
As a child I was overmedicated as were many in my generation. Fast forward 20 plus years I am healthy as can be with a very strong immune system bh.

So if antibotics is recommended by the doctor it is safer to take it than to risk the child's health.

Let's not get into the psychological effect a prolonged fever has on a child and that feeling of helplessness and discomfort can have a lifelong impact.

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 8:35 pm
gold21 wrote:
As often as the child needs antibiotics. When antibiotics are needed, I give antibiotics.

I just want to say that I am a living example of what happens when antibiotics are over prescribed.
I was given antibiotics for a certain recurring issue very very often when I was a child and right now I am allergic to two antibiotics and resistant to almost all others. Try having a UTI or strep and not being able to treat it (when you really need the antibiotics!) because most antibiotics will not work.

Antibiotics definitely has an important place in medicine but don't assume it comes without consequences.

It should be used only when necessary - not whenever prescribed by over zealous doctors.

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 8:36 pm
gande wrote:
As a child I was overmedicated as were many in my generation. Fast forward 20 plus years I am healthy as can be with a very strong immune system bh.

So if antibotics is recommended by the doctor it is safer to take it than to risk the child's health.

Let's not get into the psychological effect a prolonged fever has on a child and that feeling of helplessness and discomfort can have a lifelong impact.

Don't get me wrong- as I said antibiotics definitely has a place and sometimes it is life threatening to not take them when needed... however sometimes they are not necessary.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics