Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Can I make mezones rolls out of my challah dough?

OMG!

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:23 pm
hi, I made spelt rolls last week using my regular challa recipe and came out heaven! I want to try it in mezones so can be eaten for lunch or anytime. do I just subsitute the water with apple juice? or half of the water is enough?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:26 pm
OMG! wrote:
hi, I made spelt rolls last week using my regular challa recipe and came out heaven! I want to try it in mezones so can be eaten for lunch or anytime. do I just subsitute the water with apple juice? or half of the water is enough?

Please be aware that most poskim hold that you still have to wash on a mezonos roll if you are being kovea seudah (and that there really is no thing as a true mezonos roll). If you're just eating it as a snack, maybe not.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:27 pm
Use unsweetened apple juice, it will come out great. Also, don't add any extra sugar to the recipe, because it will be naturally sweet. Yeast loves apple juice, and it will rise just fine.

OMG!

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:44 pm
thank you so much for both replies!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 3:36 pm
If you use 2/3rds apple juice and 1/3 water it may be considered mezonos. Lower the sugar amount due to the juice.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 3:50 pm
or roll them up with sweet cinnamon spread & they will surely be מזונות

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 6:09 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Please be aware that most poskim hold that you still have to wash on a mezonos roll if you are being kovea seudah (and that there really is no thing as a true mezonos roll). If you're just eating it as a snack, maybe not.

From my understanding, the Lubavitcher Rebbe held that Mezonos rolls are Mezonos even if you are Koveia Seuda. AYLOR.

rmbg

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 6:14 pm
I'm pretty sure that is not accurate

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 6:20 pm
there are different shitas ... however, if one eats a certain 'shiur' of mezonos you have to wash [think bochorim and a whole cake] ... if it's an actual seudah - one should wash regardless if it's mezonos bread ...

most lubavitchers wash for pizza but make mezonos on mezonos bread - opposites of the same halacha

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 6:35 pm
http://etzion.org.il/en/shiur-.....nin-1

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/soc.culture.jewish.moderated/fD6aQJMixEE

http://halachipedia.com/docume.....t.pdf

Marion

Post Thu, Nov 24 2016, 12:29 pm
You have to use REAL juice for mezonot to be "tofes". If you're using juice made from concentrate it's still mostly water and will be hamotzi... (Learned this the hard way when trying to explain to my son's Sephardi/Eidot haMizrach gannenet that Ashkenazim don't really hold by mezonot rolls...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics