Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Will school vouchers happen soon?
Previous  1  2

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 11:22 am
amother wrote:
I would be afraid that my kids won't be accepted in yeshiva because if I don't have vouchers and you do, they would rather take your kids and be guaranteed that tuition is paid on time and more than what they ask for. Like section 8, landlords in Brooklyn didn't want to hear from me because they only wanted a tenant with section 8, so they are secured with timely rent.

As is, parents have to put down thousands of dollars to be accepted in schools. The ones who can't have their kids home. I believe vouchers would just make this crisis worse in Monsey.

Very true!! This is already happening with playgroups in Boro Park. The legal playgroups only take the children with vouchers because vouchers pays much more then a regular middle class person could afford - Vouchers pays about $1,000 a month and most people are only willing to pay about $500 a month. It's also happening with Boro Park day camps. The day camps will accept the children who have vouchers before a child without vouchers because vouchers pays so much more. The regular price for Boro Park daycamps are $800-$1200 for the full 2 months of summer compared to vouchers that pays them about $2000 for 2 months.

5mom

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 8:50 am
Maybe wrote:
Where are more dollars wasted, in public or private schools ?

Is there no legal way, to ban ISIS schools in USA ?

Don't count on vouchers in your mailbox Jan 21, but it is more likely now than ever before.

I imagine there's more waste in the public school system, but those high costs include special ed, sports, drama, music and art at a level not provided by 99 per cent of Jewish day schools.

Any legal route to make ISIS schools illegal would have the same impact on Jewish schools. Be careful what you wish for.

Maybe you are right about vouchers being more likely now. I just don't think they are anything like the perfect solution that some are expecting. When you live in a country with a separation of church and state, you take the good with the bad.

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 4:20 pm
in Cincinnati everyone gets vouchers regardless of income for elementary school. The difference is that if you earn less then a certain amount they cant charge you the difference between the tuition cost and the amount they get from the vouchers. The vouchers don't cover the full amount. So if other states copy ohio choice you won't have to worry about the middleclass people not getting accepted to school. Childcare vouchers are different.

octopus

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 5:10 pm
I'm really not pro vouchers. I think the school will take vouchers and raise tuition. The little people will not benefit. Same like upk.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics