Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Yeshiva chaging $20 for a locker. Reasonable?

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 4:09 am
I pay a fortune in tuition and my son just told me he needs $20 for his locker. Are they going to charge for his desk? Bathroom usage? Seems tacky. Am I wrong?

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 4:29 am
It's probably to cover costs of breaking locks when some kids leave at the end of the year without taking the locks off. Yeshivas are not looking to make a profit off your child's education.

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 4:45 am
This is common in Israel. I also think it's ridiculous that the yeshiva can't absorb this into their tuition costs.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 4:48 am
Also, some schools rent lockers from an outside company. You have the option not to have a locker, and then you don't pay. So maybe this is not a mandatory charge.

nicole81

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 4:50 am
amother wrote:
It's probably to cover costs of breaking locks when some kids leave at the end of the year without taking the locks off. Yeshivas are not looking to make a profit off your child's education.

Renting a bolt cutter from Home Depot costs $13/day. Surely a competent administrator would create a firm deadline and clip all locks on said date.

Yeshivas may not be looking to turn a profit, but they're likely trying to make up tuition deficits by collecting money in other areas.

Depending on the age of your child, it might be a good idea to have them pay upfront for the locker or give them opportunities to earn and then pay the $2/month that it costs.

cnc

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 5:50 am
We had a locker fee when I was in high school. I don't know what it was for . (There was a separate book fee. )

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 6:51 am
Hate hate hate when the schools pull this shtick. I heard through the grapevine that the locker fee is $50 in one of the yeshiva high schools on my neighborhood. Totally agree with OP- they are going to charge for toilet usage next? The kids stuff them. Desk fees because of wear and tear? I am quite annoyed that we need to pay for workbooks and readers. Shouldn't tuition include these expenses? And if this is a method to mitigate the school making up deficits for families not paying tuition, then at least don't add these charges to families who do pay in full!

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 25 2016, 8:34 am
amother wrote:
- they are going to charge for toilet usage next? The kids stuff them. Desk fees because of wear and tear? !

That's what the building fund obligation is for.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics