Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Out of town Yeshiva
1  2  Next

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 10:01 pm
Any suggestions for oot Yeshiva with dorm for ds ? Looking for a warm place not yeshivish or modern orthodox.

mha3484

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 10:16 pm
WITS in Milwaukee?

tryinghard

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 10:54 pm
Why does your son need to go OOT? More info would be helpful in making suggestions...

imasinger

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 11:00 pm
HS? Size/style?

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 11:07 pm
Talmudical Academy in Baltimore
not really so yeshivish, well the hanholoh is yeshivish, but a large percentage of the boys are not. But they do have to wear hats for davening, which doesnt really make so much sense when some of hte boys dont usually wear hats and their fathers also dont.
check out the website for more info

Also, Norfolk? Waterbury?

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 11:17 pm
Chofetz Chaim (ti). They have high schools in Texas, Vancouver, manalapan NJ and many other places I believe.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 11:32 pm
Rochester

SmileUrJewish

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:11 am
Another addition to the Chofetz Chaim suggestion. MTI (Missouri Torah Institute) is a Chofetz Chaim yeshiva in St. Louis and they recently purchased and moved into an absolutely tremendous new campus. DH and I were given a tour and were absolutely blown away. Check out their website for more info.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 9:28 pm
stupid question alert. My only boy has special needs and goes to a special school- no Yeshiva in his future..... And I'm a BT so I STILL don't understand the categories---- I call myself MO but my friends say I'm not MO which I think is silly because it's on the freaking internet (like facebook) where we have such discussions.

If you're saying not Yeshivish and not MO....... if you're not Chassideshe... what's left?

Aren't all non Chassideshe high school programs either "Yeshivish" or "MO" ?

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 9:39 pm
TwinsMommy, some would say JPF -Just Plain Frum,
or shtark/rightwing YU.
Both imply hair covering, skirt wearing, sleeves to elbow, men learning some Torah each day. You of course can be modern orthodox and do all those things, but it is not a given.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 10:05 pm
lol---- still doesn't help me much. I wear skirts, cover my hair, cover my knees and elbows, my husband just switched from dirshu to daf--- but he works and is not in kollel. I call myself MO. I remain confused, and I think imamother tends to confuse me more. Smile Also I live "OOT" so maybe that's also why I get lost.

Anyway, to get back to the topic of the thread, many of the Yeshivos you all mentioned, I would consider "Yeshivish". Chofetz Chaim, I believe, is "Yeshivish". Doesn't mean I can't daven in a Chofetz Chaim shul and still call myself MO (I have and did for a while)... but I guess I don't understand why I WOULDN'T consider a Chofetz Chaim Yeshiva "Yeshivish".

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 10:22 pm
I once heard the rosh yeshiva of a chofetz chaim school say that, since they were slightly less strict about certain things, people described them as "blue hat" rather than "black hat."

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:
Chofetz Chaim (ti). They have high schools in Texas, Vancouver, manalapan NJ and many other places I believe.

Yeshiva Toras Chaim Toras Emes

http://www.ytcteam.org/

North Miami Beach, Florida

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 10:49 pm
Twins mommy:
My husband, who grew up in a bare- basics religious family (family knew very little about Halacha and thus kept minimal kosher and shabbos, no taharas hamishpacha), but then became frummer on his own, calls any woman who wears a sheitel (including me) a "yeshiva lady." And any man who is married to such a woman would this be somewhat yeshivish Very Happy

Labels mean nothing.
Very yeshivish people often don't consider themselves yeshivish; they are "normal," and anyone frummer than them is yeshivish.

Some people say "modern" to refer to anyone who doesn't wear stockings. I get a real laugh out of that one!

So according to my dh, chofetz Chaim is yeshivish, but according to me (I grew up in a real yeshivish family), they are just plain frum.

In my opinion yeshivish = promoting the kollel mentality.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 7:54 am
My ds's are in a chofetz chaim yeshiva, MTI. From what I see, the yeshiva, the staff, rebbeim, etc are yeshivish. The boys are not yeshivish, but not modern and the parent body is a mix with modern and if any yeshivish, it would be more to the left, but mostly jpf.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 8:30 am
Op here. Thanks everyone for the replies. I can see from the answers how to fine tune what I am looking for. Yeahivish rebbeim , staff is ok but not looking where they push the kollel lifestyle. I'm not against it just not a place that pushes it as being the only respectable option. Also a place where at least in school the boys are required to wear white shirts. Maybe open minded down to earth yeshivish is what it's called. If there are any more suggestions I would greatly appreciate,

imasinger

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 9:08 am
http://www.ohryisrael.com/

No dorm, but probably boarding options.

tryinghard

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 10:38 am
imasinger wrote:
I once heard the rosh yeshiva of a chofetz chaim school say that, since they were slightly less strict about certain things, people described them as "blue hat" rather than "black hat."

In a somewhat literal sense, while most CC guys wear black hats, there are quite a few who will wear straw hats or some other variation in the summer. Many years ago, my grandmother a'h told my father she would pay for his hats if they weren't black - so he wore charcoal color hats for years.

amother wrote:
Op here. Thanks everyone for the replies. I can see from the answers how to fine tune what I am looking for. Yeahivish rebbeim , staff is ok but not looking where they push the kollel lifestyle. I'm not against it just not a place that pushes it as being the only respectable option.

TBH, this is a much more relevant question for beis medrash or other post-high school programs. My impression is that this is a bigger issue for girls schools; I don't really see kollel being discussed with HS boys, simply because marriage is further off than it is for girls. A more importnant issue for you to consider may be the general attitude in the school towards college.

amother wrote:
Also a place where at least in school the boys are required to wear white shirts. Maybe open minded down to earth yeshivish is what it's called. If there are any more suggestions I would greatly appreciate,

I'm slightly confused - you WANT them to require white shirts, or not? If you want a white shirts rule, I don't think any Chofetz Chaim HS will fit the bill (except maybe Queens - anyone know?).

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 10:43 am
You might want to look into Skokie Yeshiva (suburb of Chicago).

gibberish

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 11:42 am
Look into Detroit yeshiva
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics