Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
American girl doll
1  2  Next

aimhabanim

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:09 am
My almost 6 year old dd very badly wants an american girl doll for her birthday. I have checked on ebay and amazon but they are ridiculously expensive. Any ideas how I can find her one at a very reduced price? I think she would be okay with it being used if it is in excellent condition.

gande

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:24 am
They are expensive. NO way around it. Since she is still young you might be able to get away with a my generation doll from Target or any other imitation.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:33 am
Maybe check thrift shops or yard sales.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:36 am
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/se.....ays=0

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:39 am
Does it HAVE to be an American Girl Doll? There are some pretty good knockoffs nowadays and while there is that prestigious feeling of GETTING one, I haven't seen a difference when kids actually play with them. Like once they get over that thrill of wanting and getting IT, it's... a doll. Target has an imitation, and I think one of the Jewish stores that makes their own toys also has one.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:42 am
The goodwill ones look a little sad. I'd rather have a nice new doll than someone's ughy used fancy brand doll.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:56 am
I second the Our Generation dolls from Target. The quality is exactly the same, and for the amount of money you save, you can get the doll all kinds of cool accessories and clothes.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:11 am
Yes, definitely having more accessories goes farther than having more doll.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 8:06 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I second the Our Generation dolls from Target. The quality is exactly the same, and for the amount of money you save, you can get the doll all kinds of cool accessories and clothes.

The quality isn't really the same. People complain that the hair gets yucky very quickly, if you read the reviews. However, the Our Journey Toys R Us dolls are considered better, and there are other similar brands. Kohls sells one made by Madame Alexander, and Toys 4 U and Toys 2 Discover sell their own labels.

Simple1

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 8:20 am
The knockoffs from Phaemex in Lakewood are a good alternative and last nicely.

I don't know if they improved their dolls since, but the Target's dolls hair matted into a frizz beyond repair, pretty quickly. But this was a number of years ago.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 10:26 am
American Girl just released a cheaper 14'' doll designed for ages 5-8. They are called Wellie Wishers and are absolutely adorable. They retail for 60$.
http://www.americangirl.ca/sho.....shers

bwaybabe85

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 10:50 am
I think Costco has American Girl dolls now that are below the regular price.

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 10:55 am
American Girl dolls are fabulous and part of it is the whole universe that surrounds them with the books which create a back story. For example, the Jewish immigrant doll or you can get a modern doll that replicates the coloring of the girl.

That said, they are also super expensive and seem to be intended as a present from Bubbes and aunts without their own children. :-)

That said, I think 6 is young for such an expensive doll because it is inevitably going to be ruined.

When I was a child, the equivalent type if fancy doll was a Madame Alexander and I vigorously played with mine and oy did they suffer from my playing. Not that a little girl shouldn't play with dolls and it wasn't that I was abusive, but inevitably there was major wear and tear.

So perhaps get her one of the clones for now and when she is a bit older and more careful of possessions, you can perhaps get her the real deal as a huge present. She is also probably going to realize what a huge deal it is then more than now. And combine with a visit to the store which is quite something.

Chloe

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 10:55 am
Some of the less popular American Girl, just like you, dolls were on sale for $80ish range on one of these sale websites. I don't remember which one offhand, but that's the cheapest they go, from American Girl directly.

You can sometimes find it cheaper on eBay, but not before x-mas.

sushi galore

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:11 am
Toys4U has a brand just like american girl but way cheaper. Sorry, don't remember the name.

debsey

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:40 am
Cosco and Zulily sometimes have them on sale. You can't pick the exact one you like (they may have a whole bunch of red headed, green eyed ones and that's the only choice) but that's a way to get them cheaper.

With my kids, I told them you have to be in fourth grade and show me you are very responsible and you can earn an American Girl Doll. We had a whole chart for them to earn it. Until fourth grade, we got the Our Generation dolls from Target or the similar ones from Toys4U (which I felt were better quality, hair lasted longer). We called them our "practice American Girl Dolls"

6 does sound a little young for such a high-end item to me, but you know your daughter and how responsible she is best.

jflower

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 4:35 pm
I came across these instructions for detangling doll hair & think it's worth a try for dolls with matted hair. If all else fails, put the hair in a ponytail.

doll hair detangler

There is no guarantee that any doll's hair will remain smooth and shiny. My neighbor's daughters have an American Girl doll with very tangled hair. It could be that the girls somehow mistreated the doll but $115 for a doll???

Not worth it in my opinion but to each his own. Enjoy whatever you buy.

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 5:37 pm
For what it's worth, you can bring the American Girl dolls in for beauty treatments and they can be completely refurbished.

When I was a little girl, there were actually places called doll hospitals where your dolls could be fixed. But I think toys were actually more expensive in some ways so that items were fixed. I don't mean that I was deprived but I am still sometimes astounded by the sheer number of dolls and stuffed animals girls have now. We had a lesser number and were given them for special occasions. I think adjusting for inflation, they were more costly because it was before the era of cheap stuff from China. I remember my mother would sheep to a factory in Brooklyn where they made stuffed animals because they were a bit cheaper than the local toy store.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 6:16 pm
debsey wrote:
Cosco and Zulily sometimes have them on sale. You can't pick the exact one you like (they may have a whole bunch of red headed, green eyed ones and that's the only choice) but that's a way to get them cheaper.

With my kids, I told them you have to be in fourth grade and show me you are very responsible and you can earn an American Girl Doll. We had a whole chart for them to earn it. Until fourth grade, we got the Our Generation dolls from Target or the similar ones from Toys4U (which I felt were better quality, hair lasted longer). We called them our "practice American Girl Dolls"

6 does sound a little young for such a high-end item to me, but you know your daughter and how responsible she is best.

AG dolls were not on Zulily for a really long time. Last time was probably 1.5 years ago.

aimhabanim

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 8:00 pm
Thank you so much for all the advice and suggestions!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics