Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
ISO what to do with this many potatoes?!

BabsB

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:02 am
I have twenty pounds of regular potatoes, and another ten pounds of red potatoes. Help!?!
It's my understanding potato dishes don't freeze well, so what are my options? Potato soup? Potato bread?
Or does anyone have any other clever storage ideas? I really don't want potatoes every night for the next couple of weeks, but I also don't want to waste them.
(I also have a huge amount of onions if that makes any difference.)

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:07 am
You can make potatoe knishes and freeze them raw.

BabsB

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:14 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
You can make potatoe knishes and freeze them raw.

I have never made knishes before. I do however, have a family recipe for pierogies that are baked instead of boiled. Are the two similar?

Would I cook the inside, fill, and then freeze before baking them?

treestump

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:14 am
You can make latkes/potato pancakes for Chanuka in advance and freeze them... I've seen some recipes which are good for freezing.

I've also seen this advice re latkes -For future reference, you should fry up all the batter, cook the ones you are going to freeze about 75%, drain well and freeze in one layer on cookie sheet. When frozen, you can stick them in freezer bag or vacuum seal them. To reheat, preheat oven to 425, put on rack on cookie sheet in one layer for 10-15 min depending on size.

losingweight

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:27 am
Hand them out to neighbors!
Make homemade fries. Those use up tons of potatoes in our house.
Potato soup
Potato blintzes freeze well.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:38 am
I can give you a knish dough recipe and the filling is sautéed onions, mashed potatoes, salt and pepper and an egg.

Also, you can make potatoe kugels and freeze them once they are baked. You just need to warm it in an oven for a couple of hours covered before serving.

Roots

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:39 am
lots of french fries. and have some yeshiva bochuim over.
nothing will be left by nightfall..

look online idk..

with onions you can make onion soup and freeze

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:40 am
Put them on a cool dark dry place and use as you need them.

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:44 am
Iymnok wrote:
Put them on a cool dark dry place and use as you need them.

This.

My first reaction was Rolling Laughter

We go through 30 pounds every couple of weeks. What with potatoes on Shabbos, DH making fries every Sunday, and rebaked potatoes once during the week, they go fast!

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:59 am
BabsB wrote:
I have never made knishes before. I do however, have a family recipe for pierogies that are baked instead of boiled. Are the two similar?

Would I cook the inside, fill, and then freeze before baking them?

Here is my knish dough recipe:
4cups flour
5 Tbsp sugar
1 cup hot water
1 and 3/4 sticks margarine
Dash of salt

Mix by hand and knead into a soft dough, divide into two parts
Roll out each part in a long rectangular shape
Put half your potatoe filling down the center
Fold the two ends together
Place on a cookie sheet seam side down
Brush tops of knishes with egg wash and sprinkle sesame seeds liberally. At this point you can freeze it, just defrost partially before baking and bake on 350 for at least an hour until dough is golden brown and crispy.

blueboys

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:29 pm
You can make potato kugel & freeze. I do this all the time.

cnc

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:41 pm
Another vote for potato kugel. Freezes beautifully. To defrost and serve. Pour a bit of water over the kugel and cover tightly- warm up on a low number.

Doughless potato knishes freeze perfectly . Basically make mashed potatoes add some sautéed onions, oil, salt and pepper. If necessary a bit of flour. Form into shapes or simply put into a bekela. Coat the top with beaten egg and sprinkle sesame seeds. Bake at 400 til golden.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:00 pm
Yes, kugel freezes marvelously, as does knish and so I've heard, latkes.
And you can keep them in a cool place in your house for another week or so at least.

Ditto with the onions.
There are onion kugel recipes I've seen and they came out great but weren't anyone else's taste.
You might be able to make onion sauces, freeze, pour over chicken and bake or toss with rice and other starches including, of course, potatoes.

debsey

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 3:37 pm
Potato kugel freezes well (as many before me have said)

You can make variations like yapchick (potato kugel with a layer of flanken inside) or what I call "Jewish shepherd's pie" (layer of potato kugel, layer of ground beef, layer of potato kugel) bake and then freeze. wrap well with foil. Defrost by sticking into very hot (like 425) oven for about an hour. Really crowd-pleasing supper.

Potato soup is GREAT this time of year. Sometimes, it thickens when frozen, so you may have to thin with some water or chicken stock.

For the red potatoes, roasted red potatoes is yummy for a supper and it's quick and easy.

I guess it depends on your family size. 30 lbs of potatoes wouldn't last me a month!

MMCH

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 6:20 pm
potato soup is a favorite here!!
easiest recipe from spice and spirit- you just throw it in with water and onions and some oil

what about potato knishes in puff pastry- that shud freeze very well
potato kugel for the cholent! make and prepare in small tins to put straight into cholent.

also don't potatoes last a long time in dark place?

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 8:40 pm
You can make doughless potato knishes (the recipe is posted on here) -- they freeze great.

Kugglegirl

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 9:35 pm
If you live somewhere where it is cool now, you can keep them on the porch or outdoors- in a box or a cooler if you are concerned about animals-- but I think animals will leave them alone. Maybe in your car trunk if you have a car.

Otherwise, you could put them in a cardboard box and put them in the coolest place in the house or apartment. I think for a week or so they will keep & move them to the fridge as you have more room.

I find that cooking things up sometimes makes them take up more room than leaving them raw.

BabsB

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 5:08 pm
Thank you every one for your responses!!

Btw - we are a family of four and the kids are five and two. It's going to take a while to get through thirty pounds of potatoes. Smile

debsey

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 5:22 pm
BabsB wrote:
Thank you every one for your responses!!

Btw - we are a family of four and the kids are five and two. It's going to take a while to get through thirty pounds of potatoes. Smile
ah, I remember those days! If u cook them up in one giant marathon cooking session, u willi have suppers fir weeks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics