Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
BOOks to teach social awareness
1  2  Next

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 8:23 am
Hi, my son has been getting into lots of trouble inschool due to lack of social awareness.
We made an appt to have him evaluated for pdd, but the waiting list is 4 months long. In the meantime he s getting sent out of class for disturbing, not picking up on cues etc and he s not happy.

I'm looking for a recommendation on a book to teach him social awareness of his actions particularly in school and with his peers to work on in the meantime.,,
He is 9.

debsey

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 8:43 am
Google Julia Cook and Michelle Garcia Winner. Both have picture books that are designed to help with social awareness. You can get a whole curriculum from Michelle Garcia Winner that can be very helpful.

Don't be put off by the cartoonish aspects of MGW's curriculum - we used it with my son when he was your son's age, and it was amazing.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 9:04 am
debsey wrote:
Google Julia Cook and Michelle Garcia Winner. Both have picture books that are designed to help with social awareness. You can get a whole curriculum from Michelle Garcia Winner that can be very helpful.

Don't be put off by the cartoonish aspects of MGW's curriculum - we used it with my son when he was your son's age, and it was amazing.

Thx! Checked Amazon and there seem to be so many options… Would you be able to recommend a particular one?

debsey

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 10:03 am
amother wrote:
Thx! Checked Amazon and there seem to be so many options… Would you be able to recommend a particular one?

Start with Superflex and go on from there.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 10:37 am
debsey wrote:
Start with Superflex and go on from there.

Looks very interesting. I also see that they have a "you are a social detective" book.
Are you familiar with that? Does it supplement ? Come before? Work with? This series.... thx

debsey

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
Looks very interesting. I also see that they have a "you are a social detective" book.
Are you familiar with that? Does it supplement ? Come before? Work with? This series.... thx
comes before. a bit more babyish, but good

dr. pepper

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 11:46 am
Honorable Mention by genedal krohn
excellent

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:04 pm
I prefer to shop through the Social Thinking website. There are much better descriptions to help you figure out where to start, and the prices don't seem to be any lower on Amazon, I've never had any luck finding used copies (I guess no one wants to give theirs up! Speaks for itself, no?) I wonder if there are any BF/CM coupon codes available, I forgot to check but I really wanted to get the next books in the little kid picture book series. I ordered the first set with a coupon code about a year ago but the next one wasn't out yet.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:29 pm
Jill Kuzma's website may have some nice social skills worksheets.
Also, Op,while you wait for the eval for PDD etc...why not start speech therapy for your child ?
They can address the social skills and maybe pick up on some other areas of need.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:40 pm
Thx all! I actually found a used copy o the you can be a social skills detective book in excellent condition on eBay. Order that for a really good price. I guess my next step would be the super flex curriculum set? Still a bit Unsure but it seems like the closest to what I needed. Hoping that I can do this from at home and I can make a difference

Seeker, I found a promo code for 10% off the website. Maybe there will be something better tomorrow… In that case I would order the next set of books. (The superflex set) Still looking for people that either used this set and what your experience was or people that have used other books and what they found worked

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:25 pm
I've used the picture book series for younger kids (they changed the name of the series so I forgot what it's called now) and they were very successful.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:34 pm
Not op, just wondering. I would like to see if anyone had luck with any of these programs, for social skills with other children. Without going to a social skills therapist. Is that possible?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 4:49 pm
Hi OP! My son's social skills therapist uses the Superflex curriculum with my 8 year old son, who has a DX of ASD. My husband and I have read the books and attended Michelle Garcia Winner's trainings so that we can support our son's skills. My son has been working with this system for about a year now, with wonderful success.

Regarding your question about whether or not parents can work with their child without a therapist to improve their child's social skills, in my own personal experience, the answer is no. My son was diagnosed at age 2 1/2, so we've had lots of years of trial and error to figure out what works for our kid and our family. Being my son's therapist just doesn't work for me. There are loads of wonderful, passionate, wise and dedicated therapists out there for hire. My little guy only has one person in the world who can be his mother. When I try to do both, I find that I lose sight of my role: to provide empathy and validation for his struggles, remain curious and interested in his point of view and outlook on life. Its too difficult for me to celebrate and enjoy my son's unique, lovely personality and also be the person pushing for change. That doesn't mean that we aren't an integral part of his therapies; we are. But we are the supportive, loving 'classmates,' learning to implement these new skills alongside our son, not the teachers.

I wish you and your son lots of luck as you get your diagnosis and begin learning new ways to get along with the world.

If you'd like, you can PM me. I stay anonymous when discussing my son because I respect his privacy, but I'm always happy to talk to other moms in similar situations.

debsey

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 4:54 pm
amother wrote:
Hi OP! My son's social skills therapist uses the Superflex curriculum with my 8 year old son, who has a DX of ASD. My husband and I have read the books and attended Michelle Garcia Winner's trainings so that we can support our son's skills. My son has been working with this system for about a year now, with wonderful success.

Regarding your question about whether or not parents can work with their child without a therapist to improve their child's social skills, in my own personal experience, the answer is no. My son was diagnosed at age 2 1/2, so we've had lots of years of trial and error to figure out what works for our kid and our family. Being my son's therapist just doesn't work for me. There are loads of wonderful, passionate, wise and dedicated therapists out there for hire. My little guy only has one person in the world who can be his mother. When I try to do both, I find that I lose sight of my role: to provide empathy and validation for his struggles, remain curious and interested in his point of view and outlook on life. Its too difficult for me to celebrate and enjoy my son's unique, lovely personality and also be the person pushing for change. That doesn't mean that we aren't an integral part of his therapies; we are. But we are the supportive, loving 'classmates,' learning to implement these new skills alongside our son, not the teachers.

I wish you and your son lots of luck as you get your diagnosis and begin learning new ways to get along with the world.

If you'd like, you can PM me. I stay anonymous when discussing my son because I respect his privacy, but I'm always happy to talk to other moms in similar situations.

100% agree. Would have posted practically the same thing.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 5:05 pm
Thank you both! I am the op but was not the one that posted the question about doing this without therapy. That was someone else. I will go this route provided that I get the diagnosis and figure out how to get the insurance I need. From what I've heard it's a nightmare...
I'm just thinking about doing this in the beginning g so we don't lose the whole 4th grade to his "misbehavior". He is being sent out every day for making noises and not following what the rebbi wants. He s alone recess time and the boys pick up on his weeknesd and can really bully him. My heart breaks for him because he s so sincere and sweet and means no harm. Academically he s top of his class. The rebbi was shocked after the first test cuz thought he was spacing out all this time and knew nothing.

I have no one to talk to about this. Debsey, If any questions arise, I may just take you up on your offer- I believe we live in the same city. Amother, I would too but I don't have any way to pm you anonymously.

Thank you all for chiming in. It's been so helpful and supportive

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 5:20 pm
Hi OP. When I read your post, I thought you were me. I was just wondering who recommended that you evaluate your son for pdd? (which now doesn't exist anymore, apparently it's all ASD).
I'm asking b/c in my situation noone recommended that, but everyone (teachers, principals) just kept telling me I need to get him help. After expressing my concerns to my pediatrician for a year, she finally mentioned that maybe I should get him checked by a developmental pediatrician.
Is it possible that a 9 year old child can be diagnosed on the spectrum having gone through almost a decade of noone picking up on it?
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread, I was just wondering if hearing about your situation could help me somewhat (hope you don't mind)!

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 5:23 pm
Hi again OP,
I was reading what you just posted and you are describing my situation exactly Sad
Hugs

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 5:23 pm
Oh, OP! I got tears in my eyes reading your description of your son's challenges. I'm so sad for you and him that he's having such a difficult year. There were times when I dreamed wistfully of homeschooling, of keeping my son safe in an environment that loves and appreciates him for who he is.

I hope it's encouraging to hear that for the past several years, our son has been thriving in his mainstream yeshiva class. In fact, his teachers and the hanhala are somewhat confused by all the extra help and therapies that we continue to give him. Although we know that there are areas that he still needs to grow in, and we can often spot times and situations where we know he is compensating for a lack of innate skills, our son's challenges are at this point very very subtle. A diagnosis of ASD does not mean that your son can't have a happy, productive and full life and real, meaningful relationships.

I didn't realize that you can't PM me if I post anonymously, and I see you're posted anonymously too, so I cant PM you. I'm pretty new to imamother; is there any getting around this?

sourstix

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 5:25 pm
well if you look up the meaning of pdd it means its a milder form of asd. so yes its probably the reason it wasnt picked up till now because its mild. speak to a professional. they can explain better then imamother. I am assuming. but disregard if anyone enlightens you.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 5:32 pm
sourstix I have been speaking to professionals for the past year!! And none of them have been able to explain anything to me except that my son needs help. I guess that's why I need to see a developmental Ped. Except that in NJ where I live it could be a nine month waiting list.
(Thanks for your response thought) Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children