Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
If u don't have cleaning lady how do change linen every week
1  2  3  Next

For those without cleaning lady or other help and at least 3 kids, do you change linen yourself every week?
yes  
 12%  [ 20 ]
no  
 87%  [ 135 ]
Total Votes : 155

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:42 pm
How many of you don't have cleaning lady or other help, have at least 3 kids, and still manage to change the linen every week? All the other posts on this topic didn't include whether you have a cleaning lady and how many kids you have. It's much easier with help, but if you have no help How do you do it? edited to add: how many of you don't have any help, have at least 3 kids, and still manage to change linen every week, I'm referring to those who have duvet covers, not quilts which are easy because they don't require a cover.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:46 pm
We change every other week

Maybe My Family

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:50 pm
Same here every second week

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 12:58 pm
Funny that you pick this particular example... it's not like it's the most strenuous of all chores.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:01 pm
I don't. And yes, this chore takes up a major chunk of my time.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:
Funny that you pick this particular example... it's not like it's the most strenuous of all chores.

I have an odd habit of timing how long it takes for me to do certain chores. My bed making takes 5 minutes. (I change weekly.) Emptying the dishwasher takes about the same.

As far as bed making with kids, the most I've ever had home was 3. When they were small it was their fathers job to assist the small ones upon request. By age 5 most kids can make a bed.

Marion

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:26 pm
My problem is not in the changing them, it's in the finding the extra time to wash and dry (line dry) them in between all the regular laundry (clothes).

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:27 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I have an odd habit of timing how long it takes for me to do certain chores. My bed making takes 5 minutes. (I change weekly.) Emptying the dishwasher takes about the same.

As far as bed making with kids, the most I've ever had home was 3. When they were small it was their fathers job to assist the small ones upon request. By age 5 most kids can make a bed.

by age 5 you can put on the duvet cover themselves and sheet?

ectomorph

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:
How many of you don't have cleaning lady or other help, have at least 3 kids, and still manage to change the linen every week? All the other posts on this topic didn't include whether you have a cleaning lady and how many kids you have. It's much easier with help, but if you have no help How do you do it?
me but 2 kids 2 and under.
I do it once every month or two. I find it very difficult physically. More than mopping the floors even which I do once a week or vacuuming which I do every day. I run a load of laundry every day. I mostly use disposable plates and cutlery at this point. We never eat out and barely eat prepared food. I make my husband clean up one small area at night so I don't feel like he can't appreciate it.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:

Not everyone bothers with duvet covers. That seems to be a Brooklyn thing.

A lot of people just use a sheet and quilt.

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:35 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

My kids do not change their own linen at age 5. Lol.

I happen to strongly dislike changing linen. Perhaps there is a genetic changing-linen-a-phobia in my family. Or maybe changing linen is just really annoying LOL .

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:36 pm
amother wrote:

thats why I edited my original post to include those who cover with duvet covers. because without it, it's so much easier.

smile12345

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:40 pm
amother wrote:

Not from Brooklyn and have never heard of anyone who doesn't use covers.
I always thought quilt and duvet were interchangeable synonyms.

Learn new things here every day Wink

Last edited by smile12345 on Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:41 pm
I don't have three kids and I DO have cleaning help for a couple hours weekly but I DON'T have a washing machine or dryer in my apartment and I DON'T change linen every week. More like once a nida cycle. And I have long cycles. So every five or six weeks.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:

At the age of 5 none had duvet covers. Actually I've used quilts or blankets and bedspreads. I tried a comforter with a cover once and it was a total PIA.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:51 pm
My kids range from age 5 -10, 4 kids.
B"H no accidents.
Wednesday we get up 15 min earlier, after washing hands, everyone knows they need to strip their beds and bring me, 2 sheets and a pillow case each.
I put it in the wash then get ready.
Before I leave the house I put it in the dryer.
As soon as the kids come home from school, each one takes 2 sheets (top and bottom) and a pillow case. They "make" their own bed, it's not so neat, but it's done.
No snack until that's done.
Quilts are done 1x a month, by the cleaning lady.
We live in S.Fl. so most of the time a top sheet and the quilt is enough.

I have cleaning help Monday and Friday, but I have too many things for her to do on Friday. She does make a very neat bed, though. So the kids only put the bottom sheet and the pillow case on.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:52 pm
how do I edit the poll question to include duvet covers?

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:58 pm
smile12345 wrote:
Not from Brooklyn and have never heard of anyone who doesn't use covers.
I always thought quilt and duvet were interchangeable synonyms.

Learn new things here every day Wink

Have you ever stayed in a hotel?
Did they use duvet covers or sheets/blankets with a bedspread?

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
Have you ever stayed in a hotel?
Did they use duvet covers or sheets/blankets with a bedspread?

the nicer hotels use duvet covers. cheaper ones usually use sheets

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:00 pm
Sorry, I don't understand the question. As Nike says, "Just do it." It doesn't take that long. Yes, it's physically awkward, but so are a lot of things.

How? Pull of the blankets and throw them on another bed. Pull offf the sheets and dump them on the other bed. Pull the pillowcase off the pillow and dump both on the other bed. Spread the new fitted sheet on your stripped bed. Spread the flat sheet and tuck it in on three sides. Or not. Retrieve the blanket/s and spread over the flat sheet. fold the top of the flat sheet back over the top of the blanket. Tuck in, or not. Put the clean pillowcase over the pillow and place at head of bed. Done. Grab the dirty linens and dump in hamper or washer, whichever is your method. Repeat for as many beds as you have.

If you have only one bed in the room, either bring in a laundry basket for the dirty linens, or dump them on the floor (shudder) or on a chair.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics