Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Is it ok to do this?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:59 pm
I was wondering if I could use the insert of my crockpot in place of a Dutch oven. Is it safe to put the insert in the oven ? I know that the cover would be problematic because of the plastic handles but what about the insert itself? Also, I'm completely clueless as to what a Dutch oven does in comparison to a baking pan or dish. Anyone know?

5mom

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:08 pm
The ceramic will probably crack, if not the first time, eventually. I would use a disposable foil roasting pan.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:10 pm
don't put the crock in the oven.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:14 pm
No, it will crack. Dutch ovens are used for long slow cooking and are either a very heavy ceramic, cast iron or enameled cast iron. I two Le Creuset dutch ovens a 5 and a 7 quart. I also have a 6 quart Lodge enameled cast iron that I use exclusively for bread baking.

5mom

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:19 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
No, it will crack. Dutch ovens are used for long slow cooking and are either a very heavy ceramic, cast iron or enameled cast iron. I two Le Creuset dutch ovens a 5 and a 7 quart. I also have a 6 quart Lodge enameled cast iron that I use exclusively for bread baking.

Ooh, kitchen envy.

Food cooked slowly in cast iron is just a whole 'nother level. (Not that I am jealous of lifting those pans, though.)

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:30 pm
5mom wrote:
Ooh, kitchen envy.

Food cooked slowly in cast iron is just a whole 'nother level. (Not that I am jealous of lifting those pans, though.)

The older I get the more I desire lightweight pots and pans but I just can't do it. Most of my every day stuff is first generation Calphalon which is much heavier than todays.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics