Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
My adventure in re-furbishing an anemic shaitel..

Earnest

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 4:08 pm
I'm a little embarrassed about this post, but here goes..Because I'm ' good w/my hands + artistically inclined (with a tight budget), over many years I've learned to fix up donated shaitels. I'm working with a shoulder length curly wig with great potential. I described it as anemic in the header, because the weft/rows of hair in the back are too few, and are also missing hairs. But I'm convinced I can turn it around. After all, it began its life as a Shevy. I think I can sew in additional rows of wefts into the back of the wig myself. I already started a wig transplant when I found an old Clary in a drawer. I boldly cut out and re-sewed parts (the temple area) of my old
wefted curly Clary into this other wig, and was quite pleased
with the results. Emboldened,(was this a lapse in judgment?) I went to a private shaitel macher in the neighborhood to add hand-tied hairs around the face-framing areas. I happily paid $300, since I know my limitations(I don't cut wigs or hand-tie hair. I do simpler work, like adding/removing wefts in the back, and dyeing blonde or oxidized wigs darker.) Guess what happened. Yep.The wig is still not right...Limp and patchy... And of course, I don't want to put any more money into it. My time and labor, yes ,because I enjoy learning and using my hands. And it's obvious that I have an obsessive streak. The wig is just missing a few pieces of weft/cap around the front cheek area (I successfully performed a wig transplant on the other side, so I know I can do it.)The problem is, I ran out of wefts from my donor wig. I've been haunting the local wig Gemachs for months, but no donor curly-wefted wig turned up. Most wigs are all hand-tied nowadays, and it's not easy to find wefted shaitels anymore. If I can't scrounge together a donor wig from other imamothers, I'll go to the Clary factory in Flatbush and buy wefts and temple-wefts from her. Wholesale. So...does anybody in imamother-land have a short to medium length curly wefted (Clary) wig that she can spare? The color doesn't matter since I'm a competent Dyer. I'll just use the wefts to add volume. Please PM me. Thanks. I hope imamothers found this post amusing. Go ahead. Laugh.

familyfirst

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 4:23 pm
I don't have anything that you see looking for, but I'm not laughing either. How creative and resourceful of you to do this on your own!
Hope your adventure is successful. You just may consider going into the shaitel repair business seriously!
Good luck!

Earnest

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 5:15 pm
Thanks for your acknowledgement.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 6:41 pm
Why specifically Clary?

reality mom

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:06 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Why specifically Clary?

My Guess is because Clary is famed for their wavy and curly wigs. My mom is a huge fan.

Earnest

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 5:35 pm
Clary is the only company I know of that builds some wigs using wefts.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 8:38 am
I have some wigs with wefts.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 9:29 am
OP, you sound a lot like me! I've remade, dyed, and resewn lots of sheitels, and it really is fun. I wish you luck on your quest.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels