Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Quitting mid year
1  2  Next

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:56 pm
I'm an assistant teacher who is having a really tough year with the kids and the head teacher. I'm extremely unhappy there and keep going back and forth about just quitting and trying out being a stay at home mom the rest of the year. With daycare costs, financially it wouldn't be really an issue and my husband thinks it would be best for me to just quit. I'm just nervous to the reaction of the principal and if it will be difficult getting a teaching job next year for a different age group. I've never quit anything before so I'm not sure if this is the right choice even though I don't know if being miserable the rest of the year is a great option either. Has anyone done this before and has advice? Thank you

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:06 pm
Is it possible to share your frustrations and desire to leave with the principal and offer to give enough notice for them to find a replacement?

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:19 pm
Yes that's exactly what I would do

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 2:48 pm
If you live in an area where there are many who want teaching jobs, be aware that this will seriously hamper your ability to get another teaching job. Even where I live, where it's quite difficult to find teachers, the schools are very reluctant to hire a teacher who walked out when the going got tough, no matter how justified the circumstances.

That said, I sympathize. It's really hard to work with difficult people. However, we usually can't choose who we deal with on a day to day basis. You might want to consider finding yourself a mentor who can help you through this experience and assist you towards becoming a great professional teacher.

Anon b/c in the field and somewhat known in my area.

polka dots

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 3:19 pm
I would start by asking my rav about breaking my contract. I imagine it wouldn't be a problem halachically.

After that, give a decent amount of notice. You can even try to help find a replacement. If your principal wants to be upset, that's not your problem. You'll know that you did your part. It might effect her decision next year when she is hiring, but I would imagine that there are other schools where you can apply.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Keep in mind that your family comes first and that no one is irreplaceable (as awesome as a teacher you are and no matter if the principal wants you to believe otherwise.)

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 5:22 pm
Unless you can give an excellent reason for leaving (and the fact that you're "having a difficult time" with the kids doesn't fit), then I don't think that you can reasonably expect to be hired again at that school, or to receive a decent reference. Even if the school is able to find a new teacher, mid-year adjustments are often difficult for students and for lead teachers. They're not likely to be kindly disposed towards you.

That's not to say that you shouldn't leave the position. I'm just injecting a note of realism.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 7:05 pm
It's not worth it unless you are really miserable or come up with a very good excuse.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 7:15 pm
Can you share some of why you're unhappy?
Generally, leaving a teaching job mid-year is a big career no-no. It's expected that when you take this kind of job, you stick with it at least until June.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 7:20 pm
polka dots wrote:
Keep in mind that your family comes first and that no one is irreplaceable (as awesome as a teacher you are and no matter if the principal wants you to believe otherwise.)

This.

Simple1

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 7:24 pm
Op said she's an assistant teacher. Wouldn't that be different?

Either way, I'm not sure what is right, but an unhappy teacher will not be so good for the students.

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 7:41 pm
OP, it would be wise to get a sense from people locally. Some key factors are: the culture of the school, the competitiveness of the job market where you live, and the likelihood that you would be happiest continuing a career in teaching, and if so, for what age.

On the one hand, six months is not a long time to tough it out. On the other hand, you have to decide if it's worth it.

If you decide to stay, maybe we can offer some strategies in working with a challenging lead teacher, and in dealing with a difficult class.

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 8:52 pm
imasinger wrote:
OP, it would be wise to get a sense from people locally. Some key factors are: the culture of the school, the competitiveness of the job market where you live, and the likelihood that you would be happiest continuing a career in teaching, and if so, for what age.

On the one hand, six months is not a long time to tough it out. On the other hand, you have to decide if it's worth it.

If you decide to stay, maybe we can offer some strategies in working with a challenging lead teacher, and in dealing with a difficult class.

I like the idea if helping her tough it out. Teaching is a commitment for the full year. I think it would be tough getting a job in another school with a different age group or even outside a school setting. Anyone who calls for a reference will not be impressed with OP quitting after a couple of months. The only excuse that I would overlook in hiring would be if the school didn't pay her salary.

Volunteer

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 10:00 pm
I once left a teaching job at the beginning of the year. I tried to deal with the school regarding a very serious issue for two years, and when they made the situation impossible, I felt like I had to make a stink. I didn't leave right away, I gave them a last chance to fix it, but they tried to call my bluff. I wasn't bluffing. PM me if you want details.

The posters who mentioned that you might not get another job in the same area have a good point. Get excellent performance reviews from any administrator that appreciates you, and parents as well.

I also hate to say this, but sometimes it isn't everyone else's fault. Often there is something you can do to meet them halfway, at least. You don't describe what the problem is, so I'm just guessing.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 10:03 pm
Volunteer wrote:
I once left a teaching job at the beginning of the year. I tried to deal with the school regarding a very serious issue for two years, and when they made the situation impossible, I felt like I had to make a stink. I didn't leave right away, I gave them a last chance to fix it, but they tried to call my bluff. I wasn't bluffing. PM me if you want details.

The posters who mentioned that you might not get another job in the same area have a good point. Get excellent performance reviews from any administrator that appreciates you, and parents as well.

I also hate to say this, but sometimes it isn't everyone else's fault. Often there is something you can do to meet them halfway, at least. You don't describe what the problem is, so I'm just guessing.

1. It wasn't your first year.
2. You made solid attempts to resolve the issue first.

Very different than picking up and quitting three months into the first year, especially as an assistant - is the teacher being abusive or what? An assistant doesn't have so much responsibility to get aggrieved over. Parents, administration, and planning are almost never your problem. Has there been an attempt to resolve the issue by asking for help from the teacher and the administration, or is OP just throwing up her hands in defeat?

shirachadasha

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 10:37 pm
Can you approach the principal or other administrator and ask for guidance without mentioning the thought of quitting? Some principals are good at problem solving.

Have you decided that being an assistant really interests you? Is it possible that you don't like being an assistant and that the personality clash is making the situation worse?

Volunteer

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 8:01 am
Since you dont say what the problem is, it's a little hard to give relevant advice, but I will mention that a tough year can be a huge growth opportunity for you personally and professionally. My first 2 years teaching were the hardest, but I looked at each challenge as a way to learn how to be a better teacher. I sought guidance from education school professors, read books, and just plain experimented with different methods until I found what worked.

That's not to say you should never leave a job. I did once. It depends on the situatioln.

polka dots

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 8:42 am
Just to add, op mentioned in her post that she never quit anything before. So it must be really bad and she must've thought this through before deciding to leave. I have had times where I stayed out of loyalty and didn't want to be a quitter. Now when I look back to that I think of myself as a coward! I don't think anyone would've thought of me less if I would've left a situation that was unhealthy or demanded unrealistic things. Again, it all depends on the situation and if they are willing to hear what's difficult and maybe work it out. But you don't need to be someones shmatta just because you comitted to something and didn't know what it would entail.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 9:27 am
But there's a big space between staying and quitting, and that's called problem-solving. We don't know yet what OP has tried in that space.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 9:58 am
seeker wrote:
1. It wasn't your first year.
2. You made solid attempts to resolve the issue first.

Very different than picking up and quitting three months into the first year, especially as an assistant - is the teacher being abusive or what? An assistant doesn't have so much responsibility to get aggrieved over. Parents, administration, and planning are almost never your problem. Has there been an attempt to resolve the issue by asking for help from the teacher and the administration, or is OP just throwing up her hands in defeat?

It wasn't clear to me from the post that this was OP's first year. Did I miss that?

It is, IMNSHO, a conundrum. Because its not good for OP to be in a position where she is having a "tough year" with the head teacher, and having a "tough year" with the students. (I use the quote, because I don't want to assume what "tough year" means.) And its probably not good for the students to have an assistant who is having a "tough year" with them, and with their lead teacher. In that respect, quitting might be in the best interest of all involved.

My qualm is that OP is asking about next year, and it sounds like she means next year at the same school, albeit with a different age group. And before quitting, I think she needs to understand who unlikely it is that she would be rehired at the same school.

[Papaya. Yuck. I hate papaya.]

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 10:03 am
Yknow, you're right - I seem to have read something that wasn't there. Weird. I tend to have too many tabs open at once, maybe I was mixing up two ideas. OP, how long have you been working this job?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics