Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What's your worst cleaning task?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 10:51 pm
For all those that despise doing the dishes, tell your husbands that you want a dishwasher as your next b-day gift!

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 1:39 am
For those who didn't say getting burned on gook off the countertop cooktop, how do you do it?

I used to have a countertop cooktop that I lifted off and put near the sink.

Now that I have sealed burners and its all attached permanently, its 100 times harder to clean because I can't move it near the sink.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 3:12 am
For sure, laundry. I don't mind doing it - it's just so time consuming, and sisyphic. It just never ends. If I had someone to do only laundry I would be a happy camper.

fiji

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 3:25 am
Dishes. For sure. I can have a sparkling clean house and a sparkling clean kitchen with two sinks full of dishes. Iyh one day I hope ill have a dishwasher...

Teomima

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 3:38 am
I don't mind the bathroom, either. Anything that involves cleaning a surface is fine with me (sinks, toilet, counter top, stove top, floors, etc). Dishes aren't my favorite though I'll do them, but I find them frustrating the way they constantly accumulate.

Laundry and clutter are my worst enemies. I've gotten better at decluttering but with a baby home full time I find it difficult to do. But anything with laundry, folding, putting away, changing linens, anything, I really hate it.

tf

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 3:56 am
I HATE CLEANING. PERIOD. I don't have a cleaning lady either. I just do what I do, and leave the rest. The heck with those who don't like it. I am not sooo uncomfortable in shmutz that I should spend the time cleaning when I hate it so much. I work outside the home, so it's just a few house a day that I have to tolerate the mess.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 4:43 am
You ladies have inspired me to a potentially brilliant idea. Chores swap!

I posted in my local FB book, that maybe we could do each other's most hated chore, have coffee, and shmooze. It would be a great way for Anglos to connect, get things done, and have fun at the same time. It works for carpools and babysitting, so why not?

Cleaning ladies are really hard to find in this town, and a lot of us just need a few things done, that doesn't justify full time hours. A lot of ladies won't work for less than a committed 8 hours a week minimum. If you just need your floors mopped or your bathroom cleaned, that's not enough to justify the expense, and a lot of us couldn't afford it even if we could find the help.

I've already had a couple of responses, and I posted it late last night. If this thing takes off, it could really be something. Very Happy

moonstone

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 7:34 am
I've always said that I'd rather clean 10 toilets (as long as they were in my house!) than sort, fold, and put away laundry. I don't mind washing it, but when I take it out of the dryer I tend to dump it into a pile for later. But too often, later never comes! I loathe that chore more than any other.

Last edited by moonstone on Tue, Nov 29 2016, 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total

moonstone

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 7:39 am
chanchy123 wrote:
For sure, laundry. I don't mind doing it - it's just so time consuming, and sisyphic. It just never ends. If I had someone to do only laundry I would be a happy camper.

I've often wished for the Laundry Fairy to visit! I'm like you, if I could have someone take care of one chore forever, it would be the laundry. It's just so tedious. The folding and sock-matching eat away at my soul. Lol

Blue jay

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 7:50 am
another vote for laundry here.

it takes too long to do! and then it comes back again and again.....

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:15 am
Am I the only one here who actually enjoys polishing silver? That was my job as a child, and I still really like it. There's something satisfying in seeing it go from dull and ugly to gorgeous and shiny.

etky

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:40 am
Honestly, I don't really mind most of the cleaning/housekeeping tasks - once I put my mind to doing them. It's more getting up the resolve to get them done that can be difficult, especially those tasks that are less essential and can theoretically be put off w/o the household devolving into chaos.
That said, the tasks I favor least are those that involve water (aside from dishes which I really don't mind doing) and caustic, potent and/or strongly scented cleaning materials.
So the bathroom is obviously highest on my 'dislike' list - especially the tub because to get it really clean, I have to scrub with three different strong cleaning agents:something slightly abrasive to get the actual dirt off, a descaling spray to get off the hard water residue (this is Israel after all), and a bleach based cleaner to stop mold in its tracks and to disinfect.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 9:04 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Am I the only one here who actually enjoys polishing silver? That was my job as a child, and I still really like it. There's something satisfying in seeing it go from dull and ugly to gorgeous and shiny.

I liked it, too, when all I had to polish was my mom's pair of smooth, elegantly simple leichter. But with several pairs of leichter, a couple of trays, several slightly ongepatchket bechers, a set of little shot cups, a delicate and fragile chanukiah, and a besamim box, plus I get the feeling I'm forgetting something, well, a pleasantly uplifting task becomes...drudgery. And an invitation to carpal tunnel syndrome.

First-world problems Smile Once all my kids are married I'm handing down as much as I can get away with and let THEM get the joy and uplift of watching silver go from dull and ugly to gorgeous and shiny.

Of course my silver is never allowed to get dull and ugly. Whatever is in use gets polished regularly and what's not in use is tightly wrapped in aluminum foil to stay bright until needed.

ETA How could I forget the esrog box? It's VERY ongepatchket (a wedding gift from an aunt whose taste tends towards the baroque in all things) and the biggest pain to polish. I keep it tightly sealed in aluminum foil but all those little sticky-outie ornamental elements poke holes in the foil and turn as black as my thoughts when I unwrap it every year before Sukkos.

Last edited by zaq on Tue, Nov 29 2016, 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 9:18 am
cleaning my kids' ears. seriously.

Kugglegirl

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 9:45 am
I hate vacuuming.

Don't care much for other tasks, but will do them when it comes down to it.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 9:49 am
amother wrote:
For all those that despise doing the dishes, tell your husbands that you want a dishwasher as your next b-day gift!

I have one but only use it after shabbos. It doesnt scrub dinner pots and to load it is also a pain.

madys

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 10:43 am
I'll start with, I never had a cleaning lady, but always wanted one.

I hate cleaning, but I love a clean house, so I just do it.

Each task by itself isn't bad, it's doing ALL of it!! Dishes, fridge, stove, bathrooms, floors, silver, sheets. Dishes are a daily challenge, the others get done when they get done....

One time, I hadn't polished the silver in a while, and my daughter had a friend over. She said "Wow! You have a GOLD kiddush cup!!"

Moonlight

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 12:08 pm
Toilets are definitely my worst followed by mopping which I feel I am so ineffective at.
Ironing and linens and silver, I don't mind so much as I have to make so much time without kids to focus on them so I hardly do it.
Dishes - no problem! Who wants to chore-share?

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 12:08 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
cleaning my kids' ears. seriously.

LOL Don't mind to help you with that!

challahchallah

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 1:01 pm
moonstone wrote:
I've often wished for the Laundry Fairy to visit! I'm like you, if I could have someone take care of one chore forever, it would be the laundry. It's just so tedious. The folding and sock-matching eat away at my soul. Lol

As a fellow laundry hater, I have to say that standardizing socks was one of the best investments. I had all of these slightly different black socks that were truly soul-crushing to match. So, a couple months ago I just threw them all away and bought a few packs of identical ones. I don't even bother to pair them anymore...they just get thrown in the drawer and I pull out two when I need them.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics