Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
DD tired after lunch
1  2  Next

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 7:02 pm
DD told me today that she was so tired after lunch at school, she was laying her head down on the desk and yawning and she wanted to take a nap.

She slept 12 straight hours last night and usually sleeps around 11.

For lunch she had 2 cups of milk, white bread, and noodles with ketchup.

Do you think it's carb overload making her so tired? Could she be allergic to something? Not sure what questions I should be asking or where to look for information. Advice and ideas welcome!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 7:05 pm
If it happened just once, let it slide. See if it becomes a daily occurance.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 7:29 pm
flowerpower wrote:
If it happened just once, let it slide. See if it becomes a daily occurance.

I asked her and she said she's always tired at English after lunch. I can confirm with her teacher I guess...

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 7:39 pm
amother wrote:
For lunch she had 2 cups of milk, white bread, and noodles with ketchup.

Do you think it's carb overload making her so tired? ...

That is a lot of carbs and milk. Why no fruit? How old is she?

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 7:46 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
That is a lot of carbs and milk. Why no fruit? How old is she?

She's 6.5. First grader. This is the school lunch...

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 7:55 pm
amother wrote:
She's 6.5. First grader. This is the school lunch...

The school needs a dietician.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 7:56 pm
Why doesn't the school serve protein and vegetables with those filters? It sounds pretty unhealthy.

But in any case, I'd take her for a check up, discuss the situation, and ask for blood to be tested.

mille

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 8:03 pm
With that much milk and no protein or veggies, I'd be worried that she'd be getting anemic. Does she have a balanced diet at home? Can you supplement with food from home for the poor school lunch?

I had severe anemia in high school, and I was always so tired all the time. It really affected my schoolwork because I couldn't keep my eyes open during class.

Even if it's not anemia, she definitely needs protein!!

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 8:06 pm
I'm guessing they think ketchup is a vegetable. Rolling Eyes

sequoia

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 8:51 pm
That doesn't sound very good. A peanut butter sandwich, an apple, sliced cucumbers, and some water would be a better lunch, even if cold.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 9:45 pm
I think I'm going to start sending her lunch every day. Maybe just whole wheat bread and sliced cucumber...I send her fruit for snack. I think she will still eat pasta at school even if I send her lunch because she loves pasta...what little kid doesn't...I asked the school why they serve pasta every day and they said they have to accommodate picky eaters. Ridiculous.

At home she eats well. She prefers whole wheat bread instead of white or rye, loves fruit salad and Israeli salad and eggs and cheese...she eats salmon and tuna and chicken and beef...I think her diet is well rounded at home.

She said there was salad at school with purple cabbage and carrots and it looked weird so she wouldn't eat it. I asked her if there was any protein available, fish or meat or cheese and she said there was American cheese but she doesn't like it plain.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 9:48 pm
sequoia wrote:
That doesn't sound very good. A peanut butter sandwich, an apple, sliced cucumbers, and some water would be a better lunch, even if cold.

The school is a peanut free zone.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 9:56 pm
amother wrote:

What about the non-peanut butters out there? Chumos? Tuna? Cheese stick? Even if she eats the pasta tell her that she can have it after whatever you give her so she doesn't fill up on it. (Some 6 year olds will agree and follow through but not all).

I don't see any issue with the milk. Just the white bread and white pasta which will give a sugar crash.

Is the school getting government money for this pathetic excuse of a lunch?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 10:09 pm
amother wrote:
So hummus or almond butter, or sunflower seed butter. The fact is the meal your daughter was served was pure garbage. Processed white bread and likely white flour noodles. No protein and enough milk for a baby cow, ok I'm exaggerating a bit here. Factually she's not a baby cow and milk isn't a beverage, it's a food.

I would be livid if I were paying thousands of dollars a year for my DDs education and she was getting garbage for lunch. Do they at least send you a menu a week in advance so you would know when to pack lunch for her?

My kids went to public schools as I did and packing lunch isn't rocket science. By the time your child is 7 or 8 they should be able to put their own lunch together. Even at six she can help. You can give her cut up veggies with a nice low fat yogurt dip. Some sliced cheese and an apple or apple sauce or a banana. My DD loved brown rice with peas. I'd make brown rice at the beginning of the week and at night she would pack a container with rice and mix in an equal amt. of frozen peas. She would toss it all with some Braggs aminos and some nutritional yeast. Sometimes she would add in toasted nori. In another container she would make a fresh fruit salad with coconut and some yogurt and nuts. I had one son who would eat cold grilled cheese and granny smith apples every day. Another son would make a chick pea stew with tomatoes and peppers and whole wheat pitas and eat the same thing for weeks on end. Maybe they were easy. I don't know. I do know they would never get 16oz of milk, white bread, white pasta and ketchup for lunch.

ETA: If your daughter enjoys pasta, buy some whole grain pasta or spelt pasta and make a nice pasta salad with some evoo and lemon zest and fresh veggies.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 10:42 pm
The school lunch may not be the best but the dd is also being picky. There was a salad that she refused because it looked weird and cheese she refused because she doesn't like it plain. Chances are they give each kid a half pint of milk and the dd drank someone else's who doesn't like milk. Milk happens to be a good source of protein and even better when combined with a grain like pasta. Granted that whole grain pasta would be better than white. Two cups of milk alone provide a respectable sixteen grams of protein. The school can't force a kid to eat any part of the lunch she decides she doesn't like but mom can certainly make up for the lack of fruit by sending fruit for snack.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 10:53 pm
Can it be that it has nothing to do with lunch per se? It's just a long day for her ? or they are learning something that is hard for her or she doesn't like so she's telling you she's tired after lunch ?

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 11:15 pm
amother wrote:
Can it be that it has nothing to do with lunch per se? It's just a long day for her ? or they are learning something that is hard for her or she doesn't like so she's telling you she's tired after lunch ?

I don't know. That's why I started this thread, to roll some ideas around. I will make her some lunches over the next few days and see if she feels better at school.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 11:23 pm
zaq wrote:
The school lunch may not be the best but the dd is also being picky. There was a salad that she refused because it looked weird and cheese she refused because she doesn't like it plain. Chances are they give each kid a half pint of milk and the dd drank someone else's who doesn't like milk. Milk happens to be a good source of protein and even better when combined with a grain like pasta. Granted that whole grain pasta would be better than white. Two cups of milk alone provide a respectable sixteen grams of protein. The school can't force a kid to eat any part of the lunch she decides she doesn't like but mom can certainly make up for the lack of fruit by sending fruit for snack.

I usually do send fruit or vegetables for at least one snack. But it looks like I'm going to be packing her full lunches now.

I wouldn't be so sure my DD can accurately measure cups lol. I'm assuming each "cup" was actually 4-6 oz.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 12:56 am
I would bet that it is the carb overload for lunch with no protein. What happens is that the simple carbs in white flour turn into glucose almost immediately - it starts in the mouth and then leave just as abruptly. So you crash because essentially your body has overdosed quickly and then has nothing left in the nutritional furnace to fuel the mind and body.

If she is picky, then all the more reason for you to send her a nutritious lunch composed of food that she would actually eat.

Even if you add a slice of American cheese and some weird salad, it's still very poor nutritional choices being fed kids. Why white instead of wheat? Why some weird salad instead of a veggie that is recognizable to children - many of whom are picky about veggies as well as other stuff.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 1:15 am
Kids need milk. 2 cups is fine especially as there will be none at a fleishig dinner (and how many kids drink a lot at a rushed breakfast in the morning?). And I was told by my kids' pediatrician that unless there is some other health concern it should be whole milk and whole yogurt. Besides the fact that the fat free or low fat usually has tons of sugar in it, it is less filling and doesn't have all the healthy fat that growing brains need. (Someone mentioned low fat yogurt being a good option- full fat yogurt!!).
There was a study that full fat milk helps maintain weight and doesn't cause weight gain as expected. It has to do with curbing hunger for longer periods of time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children