Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
No Females in text books
1  2  3  Next

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 10:25 pm
My school that I work at ordered a new dikduk text book.
When I got to the 2nd page, I was ready to return it but was outvoted.

We are teaching יחיד, רבים, זכר , נקבה prefixes and suffixes.

It has male , singular, then a image with a stick figure of a man
male, plural, a stick figure of several man,
female, one, and there is a line that says נקבה.
No stick figure, pretend image of a woman, just the word, female.
Scary.

debsey

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 10:41 pm
amother wrote:
My school that I work at ordered a new dikduk text book.
When I got to the 2nd page, I was ready to return it but was outvoted.

We are teaching יחיד, רבים, זכר , נקבה prefixes and suffixes.

It has male , singular, then a image with a stick figure of a man
male, plural, a stick figure of several man,
female, one, and there is a line that says נקבה.
No stick figure, pretend image of a woman, just the word, female.
Scary.

why? Do kids need stick figure illustrations to figure out what "female" means? You can always draw stick figures on the board. I think this is a tempest in a teapot.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 11:21 pm
I think it's odd to show one but not the other, but I wouldn't sneeze over it.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 11:29 pm
It would bother me

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 12:13 am
Children who are young enough to be learning basic grammar are too young to be turned on by a picture of a woman in their textbook. For whatever reason, Hashem created male AND female. Women exist. Pretending otherwise isn't frumkeit, it's fanaticism.

Please speak up. You'll be the nudnik, but things can only change as more and more women and men recognize that this isn't about tznius and refuse to put up with this nonsense.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 1:10 am
debsey wrote:
why? Do kids need stick figure illustrations to figure out what "female" means? You can always draw stick figures on the board. I think this is a tempest in a teapot.
Thats not the point. I think the fact that there are stick figures for male words but not for female words says a LOT. And it is terrible.
Who is their right mind will get turned on by stick figures? If you have stick figures already for this, then why not for both boys and girls. This is way too extreme. We dont live in taliban land or any arab country. Thats nuts.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 1:47 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Thats not the point. I think the fact that there are stick figures for male words but not for female words says a LOT. And it is terrible.
Who is their right mind will get turned on by stick figures? If you have stick figures already for this, then why not for both boys and girls. This is way too extreme. We dont live in taliban land or any arab country. Thats nuts.

It is invalidating and brainwashing at the same time.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 1:51 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
It is invalidating and brainwashing at the same time.
Exactly.

moonstone

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 1:55 am
Agree completely with shabbat and magentayenta. I'm surprised these fanatics even teach the feminine form of a word!

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 1:55 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Exactly.

Train them early not to see women. Not to see them as humans. It sounds like something out of The Handmaid's Tale.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 2:02 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
Train them early not to see women. Not to see them as humans. It sounds like something out of The Handmaid's Tale.
OOOhhh, what a great, and completely disturbing, book that was. But yes. Agreed.
And I was going to say, not to even be seen as a stick figure. What is that about? Thats just nuts.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 2:13 am
I would hand-draw all the missing stick figures before each student receives the book. Or you could have the students draw in the missing pictures themselves. And take a picture and send it to the editor. And post it on facebook.

You could start a thing where women take a photo of themselves (!) holding the textbook opened to the offending page. Each woman could draw their own picture in the place where the stick figure is missing.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 2:15 am
DrMom wrote:
I would hand-draw all the missing stick figures before each student receives the book. Or you could have the students draw in the missing pictures themselves. And take a picture and send it to the editor. And post it on facebook.

You could start a thing where women take a photo of themselves (!) holding open the textbook open to the offending page. Each woman could draw their own picture in the place where the stick figure is missing.

I like how you think.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 2:17 am
DrMom wrote:

You could start a thing where women take a photo of themselves (!) holding the textbook opened to the offending page. Each woman could draw their own picture in the place where the stick figure is missing.

The Stick Figure Challenge Wink

ora_43

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 2:24 am
moonstone wrote:
Agree completely with shabbat and magentayenta. I'm surprised these fanatics even teach the feminine form of a word!

They might be ignorant and inconsiderate, not fanatics. I can't think of a Jewish group that would go so far as to erase female stick figures, but would be teaching Hebrew grammar. (unless maybe there's no modern Hebrew)

I can think of many textbooks that erase women without even noticing. The first time I remember seeing an example using "she" in a math textbook was last year, in a book published in 2010.

champion

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 2:40 am
That is so terrible.
Do you mind posting a picture of the page?

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 5:21 am
ora_43 wrote:

I can think of many textbooks that erase women without even noticing. The first time I remember seeing an example using "she" in a math textbook was last year, in a book published in 2010.

I can't. I had kids in school at that time. All the math textbooks made very sure to use both boys and girls in all the examples/word problems. And this was a dati school (also in the dati torani).

etky

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 5:52 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
I can't. I had kids in school at that time. All the math textbooks made very sure to use both boys and girls in all the examples/word problems. And this was a dati school (also in the dati torani).

Same. Never, ever encountered a textbook belonging to one of my kids that didn't refer to girls too.
This whole thing has gotten so out of hand in some communities.
Good thing they can't censor tanach for references to women. Or can they? shock

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 5:56 am
Read this interesting and historically accurate article that my friend published. She has a PhD in Jewish History, and her thesis was about the Bais Yaakov movement in America. She loves BY and is passionate about making the truth stand out. This is about erasing women and editing them. Its such an important piece that I think I will also start A whole separate thread featuring this article so more people see it.
http://www.thelehrhaus.com/sch.....story

groovy1224

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 6:01 am
Why is this shocking? Clearly stick figures= [filth]. Not appropriate for young minds. I mean, what's next? First it's stick figures, next it's looking at pictures of mom, grandma...

Dangerous road. Very dangerous.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics