Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
How's that Constitution thing working out for you?
  1  2  3  9  10  11  Next

marina

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 10:47 am
It's just as outrageous as if he tweeted that every journalist who criticizes him belongs in jail. A blatant violation of the oath of office before he even takes it.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 10:59 am
Now, now, Marina. What could possibly be wrong with jailing, or taking away citizenship, from people who criticize or protest against the government?

I mean, its not like he's said that its "unfair" that people protested against his election

Or arguing that the press should be liable for stories on public figures, contrary to NY Times v Sullivan.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/.....19866

Nothing to worry about here.

Protest and go to jail. Its the (new) American way.

Jeanette

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:07 am
Not to mention that hitlery's 2.2 million popular vote lead are all illegal but his 100,000 vote lead in 3 states are all legit.

Fox

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:11 am
Lol! Sleight of hand, ladies. Expect a cabinet pick that will be unpopular with hard-right supporters to be announced while the left, right, and middle are screaming for Ivanka to take away his phone. Fight with the cast of a Broadway musical while deciding not to prosecute Clinton.

This is the media's big chance to prove that they're relevant by pointing out this strategy -- we'll see if they choose to take it or just produce more hand-wringing op-ed pieces.

Jeanette

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:18 am
Fox wrote:
Lol! Sleight of hand, ladies. Expect a cabinet pick that will be unpopular with hard-right supporters to be announced while the left, right, and middle are screaming for Ivanka to take away his phone. Fight with the cast of a Broadway musical while deciding not to prosecute Clinton.

This is the media's big chance to prove that they're relevant by pointing out this strategy -- we'll see if they choose to take it or just produce more hand-wringing op-ed pieces.

Oh yes good one. The president holds the keys to decide which of his enemies get prosecuted and when. Hey he could always change his mind if Hillary oversteps her bounds, as per Kelly Anne.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:20 am
I'd label this comment as silly or uninformed. Outrageous? Not so much. I'm sure once his cabinet is in place he will be better advised on US laws, lol!

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:29 am
MiracleMama wrote:
I'd label this comment as silly or uninformed. Outrageous? Not so much. I'm sure once his cabinet is in place he will be better advised on US laws, lol!

I don't understand how anyone could be pleased with a President who lacks fundamental knowledge of the basic bulwarks of American democracy.

Symbolic speech including flag burning is protected because it is speech. It's fundamental.

The right of a free press to vigorously report is critical to a democracy and a well informed citizenry.

I just give up with people who are willing to excuse any shocking statement or action by Trump including his unprecedented likely incredible ethical breaches.

There seems to be no actual comparison. Hillary is excoriated for having some transactions which might have benefited a foundation which did enormous good for the world. Trump is excused for having illegitimate foundational transactions as well as seemingly now intending to keep running his private businesses which benefit only himself and his family.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:37 am
Amarante wrote:
I don't understand how anyone could be pleased with a President who lacks fundamental knowledge of the basic bulwarks of American democracy.

Symbolic speech including flag burning is protected because it is speech. It's fundamental.

The right of a free press to vigorously report is critical to a democracy and a well informed citizenry.

I just give up with people who are willing to excuse any shocking statement or action by Trump including his unprecedented likely incredible ethical breaches.

There seems to be no actual comparison. Hillary is excoriated for having some transactions which might have benefited a foundation which did enormous good for the world. Trump is excused for having illegitimate foundational transactions as well as seemingly now intending to keep running his private businesses which benefit only himself and his family.

As I said during election and immediately after, not so much pleased with Trump as pleased with HRC losing. She is worse. My opinion. Doesn't need to be rehashed here.

It's easy to excuse Trump's shocking statements (ok, not excuse so much as not react to; just dismiss) because that's just what Trump does. I think he often says things for shock value. Most likely he is perfectly aware of the legality of flag burning. Why would he then make the statement? Not sure. Haven't quite figured this out yet. Once he takes office and has advisors and cabinet fully in place hopefully someone will keep him from making such statements. It does make him sound ridiculous.

As for the last paragraph.... that one is loaded. Don't agree on a single part of it and I'm not touching it.

marina

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:41 am
Fox wrote:

I've heard this many times- the media has pointed it out over and over. I still disagree with it. The president elect is chilling free speech, actively violating the constitution. I don't think that's insignificant at all. Deciding not to prosecute Clinton, that's not a violation of this country's basic governing document.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:43 am
MiracleMama wrote:
As I said during election and immediately after, not so much pleased with Trump as pleased with HRC losing. She is worse. My opinion. Doesn't need to be rehashed here.

It's easy to excuse Trump's shocking statements (ok, not excuse so much as not react to; just dismiss) because that's just what Trump does. I think he often says things for shock value. Most likely he is perfectly aware of the legality of flag burning. Why would he then make the statement? Not sure. Haven't quite figured this out yet. Once he takes office and has advisors and cabinet fully in place hopefully someone will keep him from making such statements. It does make him sound ridiculous.

As for the last paragraph.... that one is loaded. Don't agree on a single part of it and I'm not touching it.

You seem to be basing an opinion on nothing Trump has actually presented. Why would you think he actually knows anything about constitutional law since there is nothing in his background to suggest it. He is not a man who reads or has ever shown himself to be particularly interested in learning about anything.

And why in the world would anyone excuse the so-called leader of the free world by saying he enjoys making outrageous statements. What possible purpose can it have? What kind of normal person in a position of leadership does such things - or even thinks the kinds of things he puts out to the world.

I have yet to read any cogent explanation of exactly what the "evil" Hillary did that in any way compares to what Trump has done in terms of fraud and deceit. I don't understand what is "good" in the man such that people are willing to essentially close their eyes to his terrible lack of ethics and morality and yet judge his opponent by a completely different standard. It continues to astound me that the scales are so unbalanced.

And I must admit my only bright spot is the wonderful schadenfreude I will have when all the voters who have benefitted from programs passed by "liberals" such as Medicaid and Medicare and even Obamacare find themselves stripped of services they depend on. Very Happy Or when the factory workers or coal miners realize they have been scammed since there is no way to bring back coal given that it is not a viable fuel at this point nor is it possible to bring back manufacturing jobs when the sectors that need to be developed are for those which rely on education or even other types of skills like engineering/software etc.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

marina

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:43 am
MiracleMama wrote:

I dk. In his oath of office, he will promise to protect and defend the constitution. Ya think maybe he should know something about it before taking that oath?

Nah, silly me. He will just rely on the geniuses he appoints to his cabinet. LOL indeed.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:48 am
Well students at Yale want to repeal the first amendment, so looks like we're all good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....kH8EV

5*Mom

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:49 am
Amarante wrote:

Because most Americans lack the same fundamental knowledge. Even students at Yale. See my post above.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:50 am
Very silly thing to say. First Amendment? Hello?

Other silly statements: "Not my President" declarations, the attempts to ignore the Electoral College, and the other attempts to undermine the Constitution.

OTOH, maybe it's all "fake news."

marina

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:52 am
DrMom wrote:
Very silly thing to say. First Amendment? Hello?

Other silly statements: "Not my President" declarations, the attempts to ignore the Electoral College, and the other attempts to undermine the Constitution.

OTOH, maybe it's all "fake news."

I dk what you're saying at all. He's blatantly violating the first amendment, but if you think that's silly, I guess that's your prerogative and all.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:54 am
5*Mom wrote:
Well students at Yale want to repeal the first amendment, so looks like we're all good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....kH8EV

That has no probative value without knowing exactly what was said to these people. It is a very highly edited tape to achieve the purpose.

I really doubt that a majority of people approached or even a significant minority would actually agree to a straight forward question - should the first amendment be repealed.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:54 am
Why does the Left categorize displaying the Confederate flag as a punishable hate crime, but protects the burning of the US flag as free speech?

I think both acts should be protected under free speech.

marina

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:55 am
5*Mom wrote:
Because most Americans lack the same fundamental knowledge. Even students at Yale. See my post above.

First, most americans aren't leaders of the free world. I have higher expectations of my leader than of ignorant Americans. Well, actually I had higher expectations. Not anymore.

Second, those videos are always edited nicely. How many people did he interview before gathering enough for the video? In any group you will have some people who just want to agree and get along. Ash's social science experiments proved that beyond a doubt.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:58 am
DrMom wrote:
Why does the Left categorize displaying the Confederate flag as a punishable hate crime, but protects the burning of the US flag as free speech?

I think both acts should be protected under free speech.

There is no one on the Left who supports a government ban on the Confederate flag. Just as Nazis were allowed to march on Skokie, defenders of the First Amendment agree that it is protected speech.

However, that is different than the GOVERNMENT displaying the Confederate flag which is the government taking a position which they should not. Same as the difference between someone having a crèche in their yard and there being a crèche on display on government property.

You can condemn the burning of the US Flag just as someone can condemn the display of the Confederate flag. Difference of opinions. It's only when State Action enters into it that it become a First Amendment issue.

debsey

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:59 am
I feel like I'm an unwitting audience at a reality TV show that I never wanted to sign up for, but now am compelled to be a part of. None of this seems real.
Page 1 of 11   1  2  3  9  10  11  Next Recent Topics