Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Snaps for duvet / blanket cover

amother
White

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 7:43 pm
My blanket cover used to have buttons to close it but they all fell off. I am trying to keep the blanket from falling out. I'm thinking of putting on snaps myself instead of paying someone to put on a zipper. (Seamstress wants $30 each blanket!) Anyone have an idea of what kind of snaps would work that I can sew on by hand myself?

A link to an Amazon product would be very helpful. Thanks!

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 7:50 pm
amother wrote:
My blanket cover used to have buttons to close it but they all fell off. I am trying to keep the blanket from falling out. I'm thinking of putting on snaps myself instead of paying someone to put on a zipper. (Seamstress wants $30 each blanket!) Anyone have an idea of what kind of snaps would work that I can sew on by hand myself?

A link to an Amazon product would be very helpful. Thanks!

It took me less than 30 seconds to do this search. Is there some reason why you couldn't do it? I'm rather curious.

https://amazon.com/Ligne-White.....+tape

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 7:58 pm
On This topic- does anyone know what size buttons to search for for the blanket covers?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:10 pm
amother wrote:
On This topic- does anyone know what size buttons to search for for the blanket covers?

Have you considered measuring the button holes?

amother
White

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:21 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
It took me less than 30 seconds to do this search. Is there some reason why you couldn't do it? I'm rather curious.

https://amazon.com/Ligne-White.....+tape

I have absolutely no experience sewing or diy projects.

I did search and this is what I was looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....snaps

But yours makes more sense I guess. You just sew on the hole strip??

Or as the other amother posted I can really just get new buttons and sew them on tighter.

Thanks for helping me brainstorm

sky

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 9:19 pm
sewing on the strips is probably the easiest - you don't line it perfectly just sew it across and the 2 attach pretty well, but not the neatest when closed, I've seen it done and its good enough.

Attaching them individually you need a special tool and have to line up - or you can use a hammer but risk the pointy pieces remaining exposed.

Maybe I should try something like this - snaps with pliers - maybe more fun than attaching buttons, and maybe my kids would like doing it. https://www.amazon.com/KAMsnap.....liers

I don't sew and don't have a sewing machine and too lazy too sew on the individual buttons on mine. I wish there was a no sew solution (I tried using sticky velcro meant for fabric but it fell off after a few washes and was worthless.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 11:32 pm
Take the duvet to a sewing shop. You'll be able to match up buttons that fit the holes perfectly, and I honestly think that will be your easiest and neatest option.

But those snap strips look cool and I plan on keeping them in mind for another project, thanks MY!

challahchallah

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 12:29 am
sky wrote:
I don't sew and don't have a sewing machine and too lazy too sew on the individual buttons on mine. I wish there was a no sew solution (I tried using sticky velcro meant for fabric but it fell off after a few washes and was worthless.

What about using no-sew iron-on interfacing (something like this) with the snap strips that MagentaYenta suggested? I haven't tried it for this particular issue, but I've had good luck with other uses of interfacing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics