Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Crockpot Mississippi Roast

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 10:15 am
I haven't made this. In fact, I had never heard if it until an anonymous imamother pmed me to share her kosher version of it. Intrigued, I ofcourse googled immediately to find out what it was and came across this version which seems kosher to start except for the butter which can easily be subbed out for pareve oil and then butter flavor added if one wants although I am not certain that butter flavor would be necessary with other flavors going on. And there are now healthy versions of butter flavored margarine so that would also be a way to go.

And that little bit of buttermilk is optional and I would imagine a pareve sour cream or yogurt or even just a squirt of lemon juice would *** the acid that the smidgeon of buttermilk does.

INGREDIENTS

* 1 boneless chuck roast or top or bottom round roast, 3 to 4 pounds
* 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
* 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
* ¼ cup all-purpose flour
* 3 tablespoons neutral oil, like canola
* 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 8 to 12 pepperoncini
* 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
* 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
* ½ teaspoon dried dill
* ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
* 1 teaspoon buttermilk, optional
* Chopped parsley, for garnish
* PREPARATION
Place roast on a cutting board and rub the salt and pepper all over it. Sprinkle the flour all over the seasoned meat and massage it into the flesh.

Heat the oil in a large sauté pan set over high heat until it is shimmering and about to smoke. Place the roast in the pan and brown on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes a side, to create a crust. Remove roast from pan and place it in the bowl of a slow cooker. Add the butter and the pepperoncini to the meat. Put the lid on the slow cooker, and set the machine to low.

As the roast heats, make a ranch dressing. Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, dill and paprika in a small bowl and whisk to emulsify. Add the buttermilk if using, then whisk again. Remove the lid from the slow cooker and add the dressing. Replace the top and allow to continue cooking, undisturbed, for 6 to 8 hours, or until you can shred the meat easily using 2 forks. Mix the meat with the gravy surrounding it. Garnish with parsley, and serve with egg noodles or roast potatoes, or pile on sandwich rolls, however you like.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 10:57 am
I've made this, but not in crockpot. I made in Dutch oven in a low temp oven. It was super easy, and delicious. But doesn't serve up pretty. But tasted great

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 11:48 am
This roast is super easy.

It is a 5 ingredient recipe

4lb roast
1/4 cup butter
5 pepperoncini peppers
1 ounce ranch dressing mix
1 ounce packet au jus mix

Put the roast in a crockpot. Form a pocket on top of the roast. Place butter, pepperoncini peppers, ranch dressing mix and au jus mix in the pocket.

Cook on low for 8 hours.

To make it kosher, I substitute butter for spectrum butter flavored non-hydrogenated shortening. Don't substitute this if you can help.

Lipton makes an OU version of ranch dressing mix.

For the au jus, you can create your own substitute with:
2 tablespoons beef bullion
2 tablespoons granulated onion mixture
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic
2 tablespoons cornstarch.

Use one oz of the advice or just guess keeping the proportions somewhat equal.

Cook on low for 8 hours. It is super delicious.

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 11:52 am
Thanks squishy. Your version looks great and thanks for the sub recommendations. I wonder how that shortening would work for pie crust. I have an idiot proof crust recipe that uses vodka but of course it's not as divine tasting as crust that is made with butter and shortening combo

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 12:07 pm
Amarante wrote:
Thanks squishy. Your version looks great and thanks for the sub recommendations. I wonder how that shortening would work for pie crust. I have an idiot proof crust recipe that uses vodka but of course it's not as divine tasting as crust that is made with butter and shortening combo

You could probably use it, but you would have to tweek.

I make a delicious pareve brioche in my bread machine with a one on one substitution. You get a milchag taste.

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 12:10 pm
You sub the shortening for butter? That's interesting. Now my brain is working in terms of cookies. In cookies shortening versus butter produces very different texture in the end product but it might Be fun as an experiment as I generally do make buttercbased cookies because the taste is so good

I wouldn't have to tweak the pie crust recipe since it is all shortening but the taste of it lacks a certain something. Of course I will never get to experiment with a crust made from leaf lard Surprised But I was reading recipes that used duck fat in a crust and the baker said it was a great combo for a savory pie or quiche

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Nov 30 2016, 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 12:21 pm
Amarante wrote:
You sub the shortening for butter? That's interesting. Now my brain is working in terms of cookies. In cookies shortening versus butter produces very different texture in the end product but it might e fun I experiment as I generally do make buttercbased cookies because the tast is so good

Please continue to share if you do play around with it. I use it in empanada dough, so I don't see why it can't work in cookie dough.

The shortening can separate a bit in sauces, so I up the corn starch or flour. You can have a real lot of fun with this. I use it for French cooking. I made coq au vin today (I substituted bacon with duck fry) and Hawaiian chicken ( lots of butter and brown sugar). I use it for a starter in soups that I enhance with real chicken stock.

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 12:25 pm
I didn't see your comment about duck fat when I replied. Sorry, multi tasking. I agree with your baker. It is delicious!!!

LOL when I went to hit the exclamation above XXX came up. Totally!

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 12:29 pm
You might try reading Melissa Clark's cookbook as she has interesting stories on how she arrived at the final recipe. Some re based on the food but a lot is based on her feelings and experiences. She is a non frum Jewish woman who grew up in Brooklyn in a foodie family so her food tastes are eclectic but have roots in the Jewish Brooklyn culture of The fifties and sixties. So she will talk about how much she loved her Bubbe's chicken feet and then how much she loves the Chinese version she eats in a dim sum restaurant. And the walk with her father on Sunday to the appetizing store. I remember those hole in the wall stores and how wonderful they smelled. Some even had pickle barrels. There was a pickle lady in Avenue J who sold. Hmm guess lol.

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 12:46 pm
Amarante wrote:
You might try reading Melissa Clark's cookbook as she has interesting stories on how she arrived at the final recipe. Some re based on the food but a lot is based on her feelings and experiences. She is a non frum Jewish woman who grew up in Brooklyn in a foodie family so her food tastes are eclectic but have roots in the Jewish Brooklyn culture of The fifties and sixties. So she will talk about how much she loved her Bubbe's chicken feet and then how much she loves the Chinese version she eats in a dim sum restaurant. And the walk with her father on Sunday to the appetizing store. I remember those hole in the wall stores and how wonderful they smelled. Some even had pickle barrels. There was a pickle lady in Avenue J who sold. Hmm guess lol.

I am drooling for a pickle barrel pickle.

I had the opposite experience grewing up in a frum family with under-varied, over-cooked, under-spiced food which bored me out of my mind. There was no place to go out to eat. And no one's house was kosher enough. Talk about a reaction formation. My sibs eat bland food and love it.

How did you become a foodie?

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 12:56 pm
I just kind of evolved lol. I was never a picky eater so I was open to trying anything. Even the stuff that is weird ashkenazie that my grandmother would make. I was the cousin who actually act the kishka lol.

My mother was a NYC school teacher and she took courses in cooking as part of the enriched courses teachers took as part of continuing education. I still have her notebook from the Chinese food class. All those ingredients that seemed so exotic then which are now every day. And so she started experimenting more. And so we would bond over trying recipes when I went to eat at my parents.

For me, it became fun to cook something new as a hobby. I remember the first dinner parties I threw and the frenzy of trying to select the most interesting recipes to impress. And I had some foodie friends. Since restaurant choices are really limited even now, you have to cook at home if you want to taste new stuff that you read about.

But I'm not like you in terms of being such an experimenter with recipes. I tend to cook the recipe as written and then unless it's mind blowing, I never make again. It's like books in terms of knowing I would never be able to read all the books I would love to. So I have so many recipes I will never get to make. Especially baked goods because I am not safe around cookies. Lol
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics