Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Toiveling dishes-when did you learn about it?
1  2  Next

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 4:18 pm
As an ffb, I 'always' knew that dishes have to be toiveled, but I have 2 friends-1 a giyores and one a bt-who were frum for quite a while before learning about it.

The giyores was reading a book on mikvah, where it mentioned toiveling dishes, and she was shell shocked as she had been frum for at least 5 years at the time. She asked me about it (as I gave her the book) and went on to either buy new dishes or toivel the ones she had.

The bt was frum for about 11 years, married for about 5 years to another bt (who also never heard about toiveling dishes) when he was out with a friend who bought a few items and mentioned casually about going to toivel them. He was surprised and asked about it. He had gone to a frum high school and had never learned about it.

So my question is: If you went to frum schools, do you remember learning about it in school?
If you are bt or ger, when did you learn about it?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 4:45 pm
I learned about the the Halachos for toiveling keilim in Kitzur shulchan Aruch in highschool. My mother is a BT and learned about it in Neve Yerushalayim Seminary and my father is a ger and he learned about it in yeshiva

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 4:54 pm
FFB.
Mentioned in elementary school. Learned hilchos tevilas keilim in eleventh grade.

cm

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 5:11 pm
My background is Conservative. I heard about it in passing from peers as I was integrating into the frum student community in college. It took a long time and reading on my own to get a cogent explanation if the practice, so it was one of the last things I took on. Unlike other practices - the basics of Shabbat and kashrut, for example - this is not well-known outside the Orthodox world.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 5:26 pm
FFB...
I learned about it elementary school in general terms but learned the halachos in high school. 9th? 10th?

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 5:45 pm
I'm a BT and learned about early as I was becoming frum, but I also read a lot of books on Halacha and kosher kitchens, and helped out a lot in a kosher kitchen as well.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 5:49 pm
Also, most guides for making your kitchen kosher mention it. I feel like it is odd that someone making their kitchen newly kosher would not have encountered this halacha.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 6:21 pm
Attended an MO day school and high school. Honestly do not remember learning about it, though we may have.

I think when I went to seminary I may have gone home and toiveled all my Mom's dishes.
(Or it may have been that I heard about if from the frum girls I hung out with in the year I spent in college before I went to sem : )

I remember that the mikvah lady was horrified! You're putting chometzdik dished in my keilim mikvah? What happens when s/o wants to come toivel dishes for Pesach?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 6:50 pm
amother wrote:

I remember that the mikvah lady was horrified! You're putting chometzdik dished in my keilim mikvah? What happens when s/o wants to come toivel dishes for Pesach?

This is so interesting to me. I own a candy/gift store and we were told we can't toivel any dishes, because they have to be toiveled by the person who will own it. But you can use it once before toiveling, so we put chocolate/nuts etc on the dishes and then whoever gets the dish has to toivel it themselves, in which case there are many chometz dishes being toiveled.

I have occasionally used a dish in my home once before toiveling also. I never thought of it from a chometz/Pesach perspective.

sweetpotato

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 6:56 pm
Are you talking about toiveling keilim in general, I.e. glass, metal utensils, or specifically dishes, I.e. Porcelain, China, ceramic? Not everyone holds you have to toivel porcelain and ceramic.

tichellady

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 6:59 pm
amother wrote:
Attended an MO day school and high school. Honestly do not remember learning about it, though we may have.

I think when I went to seminary I may have gone home and toiveled all my Mom's dishes.
(Or it may have been that I heard about if from the frum girls I hung out with in the year I spent in college before I went to sem : )

this makes no sense. wash the dish after the mikvah and it's not chometz

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 7:05 pm
I learned about it at home. It was just something that was part of our life.
I'm quite sure we must have learned about it in school at some point to but where I really know about it is from living it.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 7:13 pm
amother wrote:
This is so interesting to me. I own a candy/gift store and we were told we can't toivel any dishes, because they have to be toiveled by the person who will own it. But you can use it once before toiveling, so we put chocolate/nuts etc on the dishes and then whoever gets the dish has to toivel it themselves, in which case there are many chometz dishes being toiveled.

I have occasionally used a dish in my home once before toiveling also. I never thought of it from a chometz/Pesach perspective.

So I learned that you can use something once before toiveling as I was becoming frum, but then in seminary I was told that's not true. Does everyone know that dishes from prepared platters aren't toiveled? I thought they were.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 7:31 pm
amother wrote:
So I learned that you can use something once before toiveling as I was becoming frum, but then in seminary I was told that's not true.

I'm ffb, my family and my husband's both hold that you can use it once before. I don't know if there are different opinions on that, but just like everything else, there probably are.

Quote:

Does everyone know that dishes from prepared platters aren't toiveled? I thought they were

We were concerned that people wouldn't know, but our rav said we are not allowed to toivel the dishes we are selling, only the one who eventually owns it can toivel it. When we first opened shop we would write it in small letters in all our ads. These days we don't advertise often, and to be honest, we forgot all about the toiveling situation.

Quote:
learned about it at home. It was just something that was part of our life.
'm quite sure we must have learned about it in school at some point to but where really know about it is from living it.

Same, like many other things, it's just a part of being a frum Jew, it feels like I've known about it my whole life. I don't remember specifically learning it in school, but I'm sure we did.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 9:11 pm
I remember learning this too in seminary - the dish has to be owned by the person, and not an item for "sechora".

Funny story: My kids one day tactfully asked me if it was okay that I was toiveling something - they thought only men could do it. Turns out that they drew this conclusion because I'm always sending my husband to toivel so I don't have to shlep with the younger kids. They had just assumed that a woman cant toivel!

boysrus

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 9:47 pm
I taught my 2nd grade class about tevilas keilim. It was on the syllabus. MO school.

imeinu

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 9:52 pm
I don't remember learning it specifically as a kid. But nowdays, so many stores have them. I have seen them in lakewood, brooklyn, yerushalayim. Out of town it is probably easier to miss.

Maybe

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 10:26 pm
While learning weekly parsha, story of battle with Midyon

essie14

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 10:41 pm
amother wrote:
Also, most guides for making your kitchen kosher mention it. I feel like it is odd that someone making their kitchen newly kosher would not have encountered this halacha.

I agree. I was involved in kiruv for many years and it was always mentioned when we helped people set up a kosher kitchen. I'm surprised that a BT woman who became frum before she got married wouldn't have heard anyone mention it when she was setting up her first apartment. I toiveled dishes with many women setting up their first kosher kitchen.

As for myself (FFB) I helped my mom toivel new items all the time, since I was at least 5 years old and at some point on HS we learned the halachot more in depth.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 12:07 am
I am FFB, MO elementary school and HS. Never learned about it in school. My mother was a BT and AFAIK was not aware of this mitzva. I don't know if anyone in our community really did it on a regular basis but then again I really have no way of knowing. After all, there was at least one mikva in the community that all the women used so they must have had a keilim mikva too.
I knew about it by the time I got married and set up my own home. I don't remember how I came to learn about it. BTW this is a while ago, maybe things have changed and there is more emphasis on it now in MO schools and communities.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen